PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB would you like to see the Patriots target in the draft?

My hope is SF makes a move for a QB, which in turn makes Jimmy G available to us in trade. We then trade down from 15, add another second or third, and grab Mills in second round.

I don’t think Wilson or Watson will be available in a trade. Identifying that next person is the challenge. Trey Lance has peaked my interest. He has the tools. He has the size, strength, arm, athleticism, and speed. He doesn’t have much experience though and played at division 1A. In 2019, he threw 28 touchdowns with no interceptions while running for over a thousand yards and 12 touchdowns. I’ve watched videos that showed him going through his progressions and looking off defenders. Getting a QB on a rookie contract would be huge and worth a gamble and investment.

I worded that post poorly.

I personally don't want the next franchise QB to be a veteran making veteran money. I'm all for drafting QBs until they find the guy and using a vet as a bridge. Then it's four years of a rookie QB contract.

Both Watson and Wilson would be nice QBs but at too steep a price. Imo. Four + first round picks? No way.

I don't watch CFB so have no idea who to draft

I don’t know how you can give a tie for accuracy.
When Mahomes line fell apart this season and he didn’t have time to wait for his athletes to gain separation, it seemed to me that he threw balls to spots that left his rcvrs subject to hits hence all the drops in the playoffs

brady more often (and still while under pressure ) leads guys such that they can go out of bounds, have time to take a few steps or at least duck/slide.

Mahomes and all that scrambling ability opens another threat, but if he doesn’t slide when running or unload when the ‘spider sense’ goes off. Heiz subject to hits that WILL sooner or later take him out for games or a season

bradys ability to create space WITHIN the pocket is a much more valuable skill. But so rare that scrambling out off the pocket is ‘the poor man’sBrie’. Almost as good and more available . . just dangerous for life expectancy.

Mahomes is an accurate QB. Makes a lot of nice throws. No looks, side arm, on the run etc etc. So I considered it a tie.

I completely agree with everything else.

I overreacted to last night after a few drinks. Sorry about that.

I don’t think Belichick would acquire a mid level QB to play ahead of Cam. I think it would be an insult. If he could get an elite QB like Russell Wilson or Watson, he would, but I don’t think they’re available. I think the strategy is to draft a QB to sit behind Cam for a season.
I just find it totally out of character that belichick would pass up an opportunity to improve his team because it would hurt the feelings of the guy he is upgrading. How does newton earn the right to be insulted by being beaten out ? QB is the biggest liability on this team. By far.
If you are correct belichick decided to make all these moves and waste them with horrible QB play because he doesn’t want to hurt Newton’s feelings. I’ve never seen him put a players feelings ahead of winning.

I just find it totally out of character that belichick would pass up an opportunity to improve his team because it would hurt the feelings of the guy he is upgrading. How does newton earn the right to be insulted by being beaten out ? QB is the biggest liability on this team. By far.
If you are correct belichick decided to make all these moves and waste them with horrible QB play because he doesn’t want to hurt Newton’s feelings. I’ve never seen him put a players feelings ahead of winning.
I think the problem a lot of us are having is reconciling with the fact that BB might actually think that Newton is a really good QB and is getting a great bargain. He defended him with the "[he just threw 365yds against Houston]," and the "[I don't see anything too wrong with that screen pass he threw against the Rams that ended up as a TD the other way]." Heck, Cam's been to the SB more recently than Wilson, and Deshaun's never gotten past the Wild Card Round. Plus they're a bunch of whiny ninnies.

Counterpoint: If he really thought Cam's good, he'd sign him to a longer term.
Response: Cam wants a more fair shake to get a much bigger contract, so this year is an extension of last year's "prove it."

He only threw 3 Ints in his last 10 games, with 2 in the AZ game after we lost Wynn and Burkhead. 5 Ints came after the 2 games post Covid, where he looked like someone who didn't get to exercise or practice for weeks. I'm cautiously excited to see what the season will bring - thinking 19-0 just to be safe.

I think the problem a lot of us are having is reconciling with the fact that BB might actually think that Newton is a really good QB and is getting a great bargain. He defended him with the "[he just threw 365yds against Houston]," and the "[I don't see anything too wrong with that screen pass he threw against the Rams that ended up as a TD the other way]." Heck, Cam's been to the SB more recently than Wilson, and Deshaun's never gotten past the Wild Card Round. Plus they're a bunch of whiny ninnies.

Counterpoint: If he really thought Cam's good, he'd sign him to a longer term.
Response: Cam wants a more fair shake to get a much bigger contract, so this year is an extension of last year's "prove it."

He only threw 3 Ints in his last 10 games, with 2 in the AZ game after we lost Wynn and Burkhead. 5 Ints came after the 2 games post Covid, where he looked like someone who didn't get to exercise or practice for weeks. I'm cautiously excited to see what the season will bring - thinking 19-0 just to be safe.
There is simply no way belichick can think that. He would basically be the only unbiased person on the planet with the knowledge to capably assess Newton that thought he was a really good qb.
It’s not even close.

Mahomes = very good overall accuracy throwing the ball with the ability to throw the ball from virtually anywhere. Mahomes has games where he truly displays elite accuracy for most of the game but he has too many throws/games where his accuracy is far from elite. Time will tell if he has truly great accuracy but I am not seeing it right now. Not having elite accuracy in the pocket on deep balls is the main reason I believe he bails out of the pocket so easily. The stats are misleading since Mahomes is playing his prime in an easier era to throw the ball with the best tight end/wide receiver combo in football in a fairly average NFL stadium to throw the ball. Brady has played all but one year of his career in windy New England and outside of a few years usually didn't have elite receivers overall in his prime. Chiefs run a lot of plays where Mahomes gets credit for a throw but is really dumping it off to a wide receiver/running back -- it inflates his stats a bit.

Mahomes is really the closest thing to a smarter/better coached Brett Favre playing with much better weapons right now in an era in which it is easier to throw and catch the ball. So really good QB for sure but he hasn't displayed the pure accuracy of a Brady/Brees/Rodgers. It hasn't usually mattered since when he joined the Chiefs, he joined a playoff team with an offensive minded coach. Tyreek Hill literally has world class speed and world class short area quickness -- huge advantage to have him.

If you want to turn the chapter and look into the next decade, I think a QB that can run as well is a good investment.
I'd love to see (this order): move UP in 1st round. (do something uncommon, billb)

Trey Lance
Justin Fields

OR, mid-picks

Kellen Mond

There is simply no way belichick can think that. He would basically be the only unbiased person on the planet with the knowledge to capably assess Newton that thought he was a really good qb.
It’s not even close.
And here we are with Cam at QB again despite a lot of people thinking there was no way BB would re-sign him because "he's the only unbiased person on the planet with the knowledge to capably assess Newton," and by golly he must have working eyes. Last year was absolutely painful to watch a lot of the time (despite the Pats somehow winning 7 games), but I also have GOAT goggles.

What is going on with all these speed QBs?
Mills at 4.58
Franks 4.55 at 6'6+" (heck pick him up as UDFA 2nd QB / Edelman type WR project as he's played that before - maybe can play for the Sox too as they did draft him - don't want to watch that dislocated ankle injury tho)
Fields 4.41 (pre pro day)

I guess I'd wanna wait until all the pro days are done to make a final judgement. I'm guessing there'll be another thread or 2 popping up closer to the draft, anyway.

And here we are with Cam at QB again despite a lot of people thinking there was no way BB would re-sign him because "he's the only unbiased person on the planet with the knowledge to capably assess Newton," and by golly he must have working eyes. Last year was absolutely painful to watch a lot of the time (despite the Pats somehow winning 7 games), but I also have GOAT goggles.

What is going on with all these speed QBs?
Mills at 4.58
Franks 4.55 at 6'6+" (heck pick him up as UDFA 2nd QB / Edelman type WR project as he's played that before - maybe can play for the Sox too as they did draft him - don't want to watch that dislocated ankle injury tho)
Fields 4.41 (pre pro day)

I guess I'd wanna wait until all the pro days are done to make a final judgement. I'm guessing there'll be another thread or 2 popping up closer to the draft, anyway.
Belichick publicly stated through the media that he was still looking for a starting an, paid newton like a mediocre backup, and still has the draft. We are “here again” because the process isn’t finished.

If the Jete draft a QB, I predict the Pats will go very hard after Sam Darnold.

Both Palmers say he is a franchise QB in a bad situation:

BB likes his reclamation projects.
Put him behind our O-line with a good ground game and TE's and Bob's Your Uncle.
(I have to get over the fact that he looks like the 3rd generation of first cousin marriages).

If the Jete draft a QB, I predict the Pats will go very hard after Sam Darnold.

Both Palmers say he is a franchise QB in a bad situation:

BB likes his reclamation projects.
Put him behind our O-line with a good ground game and TE's and Bob's Your Uncle.
(I have to get over the fact that he looks like the 3rd generation of first cousin marriages).
Idk I am not Sold on darnold. It's tough to estimate how he would do in a better Team. Isn't one of the palmers the guy who works with stidham?

Jordan Palmer who played in the NFL as a backup. Carson’s brother. He’s supposedly a QB guru now.
Both brothers are saying it. Puh idk. I remember BB saying he would like to work with darnold but I wouldn't trade for him. Prefer a rookie here. If this is True why would the Jets move on and not build a Team around him

keep In mind our Qb coach coached Darnold so we should Know everything about him.

Darnold’s numbers leave much to be desired and even if they were getting rid of him I doubt the Jets would want to trade him within the division. Personally I was never sold on Darnold and still am not today.

As for Lance, I’m starting to fear that he’s out of reach. He’s projected to go as high as 3rd overall (with people suggesting the Panthers trade into that spot to get their QB). The Dolphins own that pick and I don’t see them trading that pick to the Pats knowing what it could mean moving forward. That leaves the Falcons at 4, and would have to hope Lance is still there and make a trade with them then. Very possible that Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance all go with the first 4 picks. And then you’d have the likelihood of Jones going to the Broncos at 9th overall or the 49ers at 12th overall. All hypothetical of course. But I have this dread that the Pats might not land any of the top 5 QBs of this draft without a very aggressive trade into the top portion of the order.

Both brothers are saying it. Puh idk. I remember BB saying he would like to work with darnold but I wouldn't trade for him. Prefer a rookie here. If this is True why would the Jets move on and not build a Team around him
One of the analysts, I think McShay, still swears by Darnold. Thinks he could still be an elite qb with the right coaching and environment.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back