Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who would be the best fit for the patriots?

• Mac Jones

Votes: 31 52.5%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Zach Wilson

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Trey Lance

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
I don't think we draft a qb early unless wilson falls to us. It would be stupidity if we leave waddle or chase or pitts if they are available to us.

Draft a prospect in late 3rd round or early 4th round. Mariota should be available to us for 10- 12 mill and should be a better punt than mac jones/trask/ lance.

If we whiff this year as well then sell the house silver to get the best qb prospect in 2022. We will have stidham who can possibly don the role of sudfeld should bill go that route.. I am still hoping in miracles and the resurgence of stidham...

I’ve done 3 mock drafts with AI picking for the league and me controlling pats. This was my favorite result. I found myself trading down a lot.

15.Z. Wilson-QB-BYU
64.T. Marshall Jr.-WR-LSU
95. J. Cox-LB-LSU
98. J. Davis-DT-Georgia
115. A. Rogers-WR-Clemson
141. E. Thompson-LB-Mississippi St.
149. T. Hill-OL-Georgia
153. DJ Daniel-DB-Georgia

Last edited:
Whoever fits the criteria of being.... self-made, made players around them better, This does not always mean that you are looking at the best schools. Evaluate their interceptions. Which ones were because the QB made the wrong read or were they from desperation and/or receivers screwing up?

Injury proneness is a thing, for whatever reason. Avoid QBs who can't escape the trainer's room. Unless it's a late round flyer where you can gamble.

Most of all, pick someone who dedicates their time to improving themselves mentally. That is one of the very few areas of the game that the athletic trainers can't improve. If you don't have a burning desire to understand and improve your reads, you will never be a successful NFL quarterback.

Let's say it is fairy tale land and Jones, Trask, Wilson, and Lance are all there at 15. Which is your guy?
Tough one bc I don't really watch any QB's until the last minute but I'd lean Wilson, slightly. Different QB's but both share some of the issues imo. Going through reads while deciphering man/zone match-disguises in the mof. I really like Lance too. He has a younger bro who's pretty good and will be a name.

Last edited:
TLDR; Best fit would be a QB taken with the likely BLESSED 3rd Rnd Brady compensatory pick (who at 199 was also a compensatory pick from Tupa, TCollins, MWheeler, DWohlabaugh), preferably someone who falls much lower than expected to develop that chip on the shoulder that the Sith lord relishes exploiting (see Rodgers, RWilson, Brady). Circle of Life. BB turned a 6th round pick into 6 rings and a 3rd. Maybe to keep the Thomas compensatory link going, it'll be QB Zac Thomas (kidding). At this point, Trask and Jones are the only within-the-realm-of-reality ones out of that list.

----

Watched most of the throws/runs in the Oklahoma (Trask), Coastal Carolina (Wilson), and Central Arkansas (Lance) games, which were games in which each experienced adversity. With all the holes everywhere else, I wouldn't trade up for any of these QBs, and Wilson would be the only one I'd consider at 15, but I'd like to get any of them (preferably in the 2nd or 3rd rounds), as I feel like BB can make all of them work/fit.

Trask has had knee surgery, but he'd still be faster than Tom and Drew. Looked like a deer in headlights against Oklahoma after 3 practices with the second stringers, but looked great during the Alabama game. Preferred him to Jones in that game, but when I saw the knee brace, I got turned off (since I too have a left meniscus issue), even though Brady's fine 12 years later. He's prob gonna hang out in the pocket, anyway, so it might not be a big deal since it's the left knee like Brady. I do like the fact that he decided to play the game despite all of his weapons sitting out, especially since that might affect his draft stock, but man did he look like a different qb. In back to back games we saw what seasoned Trask and rookie/bust Trask would look like.

Wilson's had shoulder surgery and he landed pretty poorly on it in that game. After watching a season with a guy whose shoulder is shot, this turned me off a little bit, although Brees got the same surgery before he signed with the Saints. He got within 1 yard of a great comeback starting deep in his territory with little time against the only ranked team he played. INT was a chuck it in the EZ at the end of the half - doesn't count for me. It sounds like he's well out of reach for the Pats.

Lance's had a lower leg procedure which required crutches. It's apparent why they call him Cam 2.0 (well, early version) with the legs. FCS (like JimmyG). He's got that "I want what's behind door #3" mystique with the 50% comp 2TD/1INT in his only game this year. NDSU makes me think of Wentz, but prob not fair. Big gamble, but this past season is a preview of what the bust version would look like. If we get him, I wonder if that raises the possibility of Cam coming back. The masochistic part of me wants to see this happen (drafting Lance with Cam coming back).

Jones was arrested for DUI and a fake ID in 2017. Tough to make a read on "the system QB" as Florida was the only non cakewalk, and I preferred Trask to him in that game. Had a couple of nice throws against ND but it was mostly dink and dunk with the WRs (especially a Heisman winner) getting great YAC. Hopefully McCorkle learned a lot from his mistakes. The next game will hopefully be more revealing regarding his decision making.

Last edited:
Looking through the QB draft history, it's crazy to think that in the last 10 years, only Mahomes (2017 2nd QB, 10th overall), Foles (2012 7th QB, 88th overall), and RWilson (2012 6th QB, 75th overall) are the only SB winning starting QBs (then it's 2008 Flacco). I'll be curious to see who else ends up winning one. With the sea of poop or just bad luck with injuries that come out of the 1st round every year with all the guaranteed money that gets wasted, it must make some of these teams sick to their stomach. No wonder BB trades down. $20mil signing bonus for Sam Darnold?

Outside of Lawrence, I don't really see a starting NFL QB in this draft class. I'm thinking that BB will answer the QB question well before the draft. If the Pats waste their draft capital on a QB, he is going to stuck with no WRs or TEs. They would be much better served signing FA Qb or making a trade for one and using the picks to upgrade the WR position. Waddle might be available at 15. I think with a true WR1, maybe Harry can emerge as something other than a bust.

But if you draft say Wilson from BYU, especially if it costs you their second rd pick to move up for him. Then he is left with a patchwork OLine missing Thuney and most likely Andrews, No WRs, (I would assume that Edelman would retire rather than start a rebuild), no TEs, and no James White.

If that complete lack of talent around him, he would be bound for failure.

Outside of Lawrence, I don't really see a starting NFL QB in this draft class. I'm thinking that BB will answer the QB question well before the draft. If the Pats waste their draft capital on a QB, he is going to stuck with no WRs or TEs. They would be much better served signing FA Qb or making a trade for one and using the picks to upgrade the WR position. Waddle might be available at 15. I think with a true WR1, maybe Harry can emerge as something other than a bust.

But if you draft say Wilson from BYU, especially if it costs you their second rd pick to move up for him. Then he is left with a patchwork OLine missing Thuney and most likely Andrews, No WRs, (I would assume that Edelman would retire rather than start a rebuild), no TEs, and no James White.

Actually, Wilson turned nobodies into good players. He’s that type of talent. Jones and Trask may be products of their environment. Lawrence & Fields could also make nobodies into somebodies, but they each have had really talented weapons. Wilson, he made those receivers on BYU.

wr Ross was lost for the year at Clemson and Lawrence makes 4.6 wr Powell look like an all American.

There was some talking head on one of those shows the other day that said the Pats would take Justin Fields at #15. I don't follow college football so I don't know if that's likely or if the guy is any good. But the guy did mention Fields has a hard time coming of his first read. Usually a death sentence for a QB trying to make it in the NFL.

There was some talking head on one of those shows the other day that said the Pats would take Justin Fields at #15. I don't follow college football so I don't know if that's likely or if the guy is any good. But the guy did mention Fields has a hard time coming of his first read. Usually a death sentence for a QB trying to make it in the NFL.
Sure, the pats should take Fields at 15. However, there are probably 10 teams that would take him before 15, including those who might trade up for him. Fields should be a definite top 5 pick, perhaps #2.

I personally think Trask would be the best option if we decided to dip in the rookies who will most likely be available. Jones would be good too, like Brady Trask didnt start until he was a junior and wasnt a highly recruited prospect.
Trask doesn’t have strongest arm and has several knee issues/prior injuries I believe....other than that love the kid. Smart QB....sees field well...can bring team back from behind to win.. fiery competitor

I want Pats to draft Rattler next year....exciting scrappy QB

Sure, the pats should take Fields at 15. However, there are probably 10 teams that would take him before 15, including those who might trade up for him. Fields should be a definite top 5 pick, perhaps #2.
Fields will be gone at 15 and BB will probably trade out of 1st anyways ....;)

I’ve done 3 mock drafts with AI picking for the league and me controlling pats. This was my favorite result. I found myself trading down a lot.

15.Z. Wilson-QB-BYU
64.T. Marshall Jr.-WR-LSU
95. J. Cox-LB-LSU
98. J. Davis-DT-Georgia
115. A. Rogers-WR-Clemson
141. E. Thompson-LB-Mississippi St.
149. T. Hill-OL-Georgia
153. DJ Daniel-DB-Georgia
Where does Jones rate in your Mock?

TLDR; Best fit would be a QB taken with the likely BLESSED 3rd Rnd Brady compensatory pick (who at 199 was also a compensatory pick from Tupa, TCollins, MWheeler, DWohlabaugh), preferably someone who falls much lower than expected to develop that chip on the shoulder that the Sith lord relishes exploiting (see Rodgers, RWilson, Brady). Circle of Life. BB turned a 6th round pick into 6 rings and a 3rd. Maybe to keep the Thomas compensatory link going, it'll be QB Zac Thomas (kidding). At this point, Trask and Jones are the only within-the-realm-of-reality ones out of that list.

----

Watched most of the throws/runs in the Oklahoma (Trask), Coastal Carolina (Wilson), and Central Arkansas (Lance) games, which were games in which each experienced adversity. With all the holes everywhere else, I wouldn't trade up for any of these QBs, and Wilson would be the only one I'd consider at 15, but I'd like to get any of them (preferably in the 2nd or 3rd rounds), as I feel like BB can make all of them work/fit.

Trask has had knee surgery, but he'd still be faster than Tom and Drew. Looked like a deer in headlights against Oklahoma after 3 practices with the second stringers, but looked great during the Alabama game. Preferred him to Jones in that game, but when I saw the knee brace, I got turned off (since I too have a left meniscus issue), even though Brady's fine 12 years later. He's prob gonna hang out in the pocket, anyway, so it might not be a big deal since it's the left knee like Brady. I do like the fact that he decided to play the game despite all of his weapons sitting out, especially since that might affect his draft stock, but man did he look like a different qb. In back to back games we saw what seasoned Trask and rookie/bust Trask would look like.

Wilson's had shoulder surgery and he landed pretty poorly on it in that game. After watching a season with a guy whose shoulder is shot, this turned me off a little bit, although Brees got the same surgery before he signed with the Saints. He got within 1 yard of a great comeback starting deep in his territory with little time against the only ranked team he played. INT was a chuck it in the EZ at the end of the half - doesn't count for me. It sounds like he's well out of reach for the Pats.

Lance's had a lower leg procedure which required crutches. It's apparent why they call him Cam 2.0 (well, early version) with the legs. FCS (like JimmyG). He's got that "I want what's behind door #3" mystique with the 50% comp 2TD/1INT in his only game this year. NDSU makes me think of Wentz, but prob not fair. Big gamble, but this past season is a preview of what the bust version would look like. If we get him, I wonder if that raises the possibility of Cam coming back. The masochistic part of me wants to see this happen (drafting Lance with Cam coming back).

Jones was arrested for DUI and a fake ID in 2017. Tough to make a read on "the system QB" as Florida was the only non cakewalk, and I preferred Trask to him in that game. Had a couple of nice throws against ND but it was mostly dink and dunk with the WRs (especially a Heisman winner) getting great YAC. Hopefully McCorkle learned a lot from his mistakes. The next game will hopefully be more revealing regarding his decision making.
Jones can and should definitely help his draft stock with a good showing this coming Monday

Your post makes it sound like we can get a FA QB and draft WR/TEs but can't do the reverse? Why?

We could draft a QB in the first round and get a #1 WR & TE in FA.

Desmond Ridder from Cincinnati has decided to go back to college for his senior year. Was looking at him as a possible 2nd round QB if the Pats don’t land one in round 1.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back