Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who would be the best fit for the patriots?

• Mac Jones

Votes: 31 52.5%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Zach Wilson

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Trey Lance

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I personally think Trask would be the best option if we decided to dip in the rookies who will most likely be available. Jones would be good too, like Brady Trask didnt start until he was a junior and wasnt a highly recruited prospect.

I don’t really follow college football. But if we could land one of the top prospects at 15 I’m all for it. Would love to land a young stud qb, only other route I would be happy with is DL or LB.

Trask didn't do himself any favors by crapping the bed in prime time vs. Oklahoma. But if forced to choose, it would be him or Mac Jones for me.

I think Jones would have the easiest transition. He also has the grit and the belief in himself to compete for the starting job at the college he chose, not enter the transfer portal and run to a school where he would start right away. That is the type of kid I want leading the Pats down the field. Besides Trevor of course.

Jones acts and talks like a selfless leader. I am as sold on the kid as I can be on a college QB prospect. He also reminds me a lot Russel Wilson personality wise. The only con for me is he is a one year starter. But his stats speak for themselves in that conference. But his poise and leadership make him the guy I want, when the options could possibly be him or Trask with an outside shot at Lance.

I agree about Jones in the 2nd round, his 77% completion rate and 36/4 TD vs int. is worthy of note. He is also coming from a great system in Al.

Saban and BB are old friends so he can rely on Nick's advice..

First round has to be TE or WR..

What I dont like about Bama QBs is that Bama reloads at QB virtually every season and they keep on winning.

Then, the Bama QB gets drafted and stinks. Tua has been alright, I guess, but he hasnt proven that he is guy either. Miami sorely missed Fitzpatrick last Sunday.

Quarterbacks Mac Jones of Alabama and Kyle Trask of Florida have been hot names, but I wouldn’t consider either until at least the third round and they’ll probably both be over-drafted. Talent evaluators aren’t sold Jones will even grow into a starter, let alone a franchise quarterback.

Count Howe's sources as super not impressed. Not exactly what I want to hear about the guy consistently being mocked at 15.

Quarterbacks Mac Jones of Alabama and Kyle Trask of Florida have been hot names, but I wouldn’t consider either until at least the third round and they’ll probably both be over-drafted. Talent evaluators aren’t sold Jones will even grow into a starter, let alone a franchise quarterback.

Count Howe's sources as super not impressed. Not exactly what I want to hear about the guy consistently being mocked at 15.
Anyone mocking either Jones or Trask in the first or second is just throwing it out there. My head would explode if we took either in the first, let alone at 15.
There are probably 10 prospects worth consideration so most of the names thrown out there. Are just that, thrown out to put out cheap content.

I personally think Trask would be the best option if we decided to dip in the rookies who will most likely be available. Jones would be good too, like Brady Trask didnt start until he was a junior and wasnt a highly recruited prospect.
I follow college football a good bit, Florida was missing a ton of players in their bowl game so I don't hold that against Trask. I am a big Zach Wilson guy, but he won't be there for us. I prefer Mac to Trask but, is almost a coin toss IMO.

Trask only threw 8 INTs all year and that includes the 3 vs Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl.

How is Trask fooling all these SEC DBs if he has such a weak arm? He moved the ball vs Alabama and they supposedly have 2 of the best CBs in the NCAAF.

Vs Alabama, Trask went 26 completions - 40 attempts - 65% accuracy - 408 yards - 3 TDs - 0 INTs.

Trask only threw 8 INTs all year and that includes the 3 vs Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl.

How is Trask fooling all these SEC DBs if he has such a weak arm? He moved the ball vs Alabama and they supposedly have 2 of the best CBs in the NCAAF.

Vs Alabama, Trask went 26 completions - 40 attempts - 65% accuracy - 408 yards - 3 TDs - 0 INTs.
I think Trask has huge bust potential. He struggles to progress through his reads, he loses focus when the pocket closes in and his passes lack the velocity and accuracy I'd like to see from an NFL QB while his deep ball is all floaty.

I mean, that's just my opinion and there's never a sure thing, but I think as a first rounder he has massive bust potential. Especially in an offense like ours with no elite superstar receiver that can help him out some.

Breakdowns of Jones, Trask and Wilson
  • WalterFootball.com sought opinions on Jones from five different teams regarding the 2021 NFL Draft. Three had a fourth-round grade on Jones, one had him on the bubble between Rounds 2 and 3, and one team gave him a second-round grade. An AFC general manager said the second round was too high for Jones, calling him a mid-round talent, so opinions vary on Jones across the league.

• Three directors of college scouting and a national scout told WalterFootball.com that Trask is a better pocket passer than Justin Fields, in part because Trask lacks mobility, so he has developed good pocket awareness by default. An AFC general manager told me they think Trask will be a second-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

• There is a lot to like about Wilson for the NFL. He has a quality arm capable of making all the throws and an ability to push the ball downfield. In the short to intermediate part of the field, Wilson can spin the ball and fire some fastballs into tight windows. He also is capable of putting air under the ball to loft in touch passes. Wilson is an accurate passer who displays quality footwork that leads to him tossing precision passes. He is not an elite runner for the next level in the mold of a Lamar Jackson, but he has mobility with some quickness and athleticism to buy time in the pocket and pick up some first downs on the ground. Some team sources compared Wilson's running ability and athleticism to Johnny Manziel. While Wilson has enough size to be a starting quarterback in NFL, it would be a good idea for him to add some weight to his frame to help him avoid injury at the pro level. Team sources say Wilson is confident and intelligent, plays tough, and inspires his teammates play for him. On the negative side, they say Wilson is a rich, entitled brat who rather than being a leader, is a selfish know-it-all - his parents are a pain to deal with too. Some team sources think Wilson could rise to be the second quarterback selected and go high in the first round. Others think he should be a late first-round or early second-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.
My own personal beliefs, I would want a guy who's done it against the best competition at the highest level. I would want Either Trask or Jones. The fact that Trask was horrible vs. Oklahoma without his top targets shows me what we could possibly expect without an infusion of high end talent here. Jones has done it with a pro level supporting cast, so that may affect how good he really is, but I would take Jones over Trask and Wilson. I figure Fields and obviously Lawrence won't be there when they pick.

watching the highlights from Trask I recognized how well Pitts would fit with pick 15th :D
in general desperate organizations do depserate moves and tend to overdraft QBs when they are in need of one, but I hope BB won't do that, there will be planty of great athletes (offense and defense) on the board when the Pats pick, I think also once the first 3-4 QBs are gone in the first 10-15 picks, the others that are left will drop to round 2 or 3(perhaps even round 4), so you can get one you like there, but beside TL and WIlson I would not even think about to take one of the other QBs in the first round, to much talent on other position you would miss on for a hope that the QB will pan out in 3-4 years without really being convinced that they have it all what it takes based on college tape

That would be the definition of screwing around....
No screwing around would be doing what we did last year where we let a huge need have a run right in front of us and just hoped we would be lucky enough to get one of the last guys and then trade out when the last good WR was picked right before us.

If you think someone can be your guy, you go get him

First and foremost, no Gators. Ever. They suck in the league. They never work out here.

Now that that is out of the way, I really like Wilson but I think we would have to really sell out to get high enough to draft him. Lance I would be cautiously optimistic as I feel like he is a complete boom or bust. Not very high on Mac Jones as he plays on an NFL roster already. Is he really projected to go early in the draft?

Note: I have no idea how to evaluate college QB's as I thought Mahomes would be a huge bust.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back