PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Defensive Units Are Better Than Last Year?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Our Defense Better Than In 2020?

• Much Better

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Better

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is our overall Defense better than 2020? What about the individual units?

DT
EDGE
ILB
CB
S
ST

We have the pieces to be way better in every area other than the secondary, and our secondary was our best unit last year and should hold serve.

BTW note that last year Belichick switched his son Steve from probably the easiest coaching asssignment, the veteran secondary, to the hardest one, our struggling linebacker corps. Frankly I think that's a huge jump in trust and responsibility and we'll see what steve does with the new pieces his father got him (plus the return of hightower and KVN)

This is a joke, right?

DT is likely the same with more upside.
EDGE is WAY better
ILB is WAY better
CB is the same unless Gilmore/Jackson leave
S is better (more experience for Duggar/Phillips)

Obviously it's way better.

This is a joke, right?

DT is likely the same with more upside.
EDGE is WAY better
ILB is WAY better
CB is the same unless Gilmore/Jackson leave
S is better (more experience for Duggar/Phillips)

Obviously it's way better.
folks think that our team isn't playoff worthy until our trade for Jimmy or our 1st round QB.

We were 7-9. We had a weaker schedule of opponents.

So, I thought that we might judge whether the Defense was much improved. I agree with you. "Obviously, it's way better"

folks think that our team isn't playoff worthy until our trade for Jimmy or our 1st round QB.

So, I thought that we might judge whether the Defense was much improved. I agree with you. "Obviously, it's way better"

Understood. I thought you were being serious and not asking a rhetorical question.

Dt - we lost one good run stuffer and one good pass rusher. We added three run stuffers. We should be improved against the run, but went backwards versus the pass.

edge - huge improvements against the pass and rush. If we never see winovich or uche or Simon trying to set the edge again, then we are better.

lb - Hightower returns. We have improved. The others are just gravy.

secondary - Chung did not play last year and we added mills. Seems to me mills is a terrible cb, but better as a safety/linebacker. Bottom line is slight improvement.

bb needs to add the following before the season starts:

1.) qb
2.) wr #1
3.) wr #2
4.) lb
5.) ol
6.) fs

What “folks”?

DT - This could really go either way. Conspicuously absent from the group is a legitimate pass rusher from the inside (and apparently we did want Butler back). However, the run defense should be a lot better here. Some say Wise is that interior pass rusher we need, but do we actually use him that way? I don't know the answer to that.

EDGE - When I go down the list of positions, the only one that really sticks out to me as a major improvement is EDGE. But that's a crazy improvement which should have a real impact on this defense.

ILB - Getting Hightower back has to be considered an improvement even if he isn't at his career peak. I still don't like the depth here, but we might just be giving those snaps to edge players and Dugger (who I think would be most useful at sub ILB at this moment in his career).

CB - Kind of up in the air, but assuming Gilmore and Jackson stay, not much changed. Mills is probably a bit of a downgrade to JMac (who may still return). I still think Williams can be a real player, though, and the only thing keeping me from being more excited about Bryant is his role is locked down by Jones.

S - Our depth was already great, but now it's 1 player deeper with Mills. If Dugger can improve in coverage, he could take over the role Chung held for so long.

Hard to see it not being better. Certainly more well-rounded. I'm expecting some 2018-2019 type production.

early down defense comparison
DT Godchaux Anderson/Davis
DE/LB Judon HT KVN McMillan/Hall/Bentley/Wise

vs.

DT Guy Cowart/Spence
DE/LB Simon Bentley Hall Wise

DT - Worse...and we Still don't have a true 0/1-tech.

DE - Better...But we Still need another Starter opposite Judon.

LB - Better...But we Still need somebody with RB/TE coverage ability.

CB - Worse.

FS/SS - Same.

DT: Same.
DE: Same.
Edge/OLB: Better but prefer someone to compliment Judon the other side.
ILB: Better.
CB: Same
S: Same.

DT - Worse...and we Still don't have a true 0/1-tech.

DE - Better...But we Still need another Starter opposite Judon.

LB - Better...But we Still need somebody with RB/TE coverage ability.

CB - Worse.

FS/SS - Same.

Now that Guy has re-signed, DT has now Slightly Improved from 2020...though we still need a Beef Curtain...

The other position groups remain unchanged from two weeks earlier.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back