PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where will Josh Gordon end up if he is reinstated ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes a completely different skillset then amendola.

I'd put him more in the chris hogan/cooks catagory.

Garoppolo for Gordon. :D After all, BB probably doesn't like any first-rounders...

I get the desire but I think you're underestimating the impact Cooks will have on this offense. A super bowl winning offense. Cooks is going to take the top off of any defense. He has great hands and speed. Defenses will have to shift their coverages because of him.

They do not need a risk/reward type of guy because they already have the reward type of guys.

I get the desire but I think you're underestimating the impact Cooks will have on this offense. A super bowl winning offense. Cooks is going to take the top off of any defense. He has great hands and speed. Defenses will have to shift their coverages because of him.

They do not need a risk/reward type of guy because they already have the reward type of guys.
I for one am not underestimating the impact of Cooks. I'm one of the biggest supporters of that move, but that shouldn't stop this team from upgrading the depth of the other WR's.
Yeah there are reward players on the roster, but you don't pass up elite talent at bargain salary for two years, if you think you can get the guy on the right path.
Josh Gordon, and Brandin Cooks for two cost controlled years in Brady's twilight is epic...IF Bill thinks it could work.

It hasn't been yet, why would it now?
I agree Tunescibe...But maybe...Just maybe he grew up. I know, the past is indicative and all that but, what if maybe he is all in?
If you were convinced he put all his immaturity behind him, would you take this guy on your team?

(Asking for a friend)

If you had the chance...To revive your decrepit career in the NFL...With the greatest franchise, today...And you are serious about this...Where else you going?
"We (re)build careers, that's what we do...Oh, and win championships"

I'm very comfortable with what they have at WR, and if you want to apply the "reliability is more important than ability" standard its a little difficult to advocate for Gordon (or Floyd even) over Dola at the WR5...for 2017. Dola and Jules probably both have shorter shelf lives due to age and usage than Gordon/Floyd though, so its an interesting idea at least to have that type of talent on the roster in 2018 and beyond. And it might have to happen now, if ever. Guarantee BB remembers the '13 Browns plays.

My main concern with Gordon isn't that he's an addict or headcase, though he may be both, I think its fair to presume any Pats acquisition would almost certainly be of the low risk low pay variety. But even with that assumption, he hasn't really played in a very long time. Better, more dedicated, less troubled players than him have lost their groove/mojo/whatever in 3 years. This guy hasnt played since some of us were trying to visualize the future with Thompkins/Dobby as our WRs. Like another lifetime.

Plenty of room for him at Gillette

Agreed. I disagre with what someone said earlier, who called him high risk high rewards. As a FA pick up, like Floyd, he's actually low risk, high reward. Signing bonus, roster bonus - that's all you lose if he doesn't work out or has a relapse.

If he did work out though......oy vey.

Can we stop acting like he's coming here, especially after getting Cooks?

Realistically, some teams that would make sense for him include: Tennessee, Buffalo, Baltimore, Chicago, NYJ and Washington. Those are just some off the top of my head.

I'd love for the Jets to give him a shot here. Maybe a straight trade for Sheldon would get it done?

Obviously a huge risk of getting into trouble again, but the guy has to realize this is his last shot and making millions and saving his career.

If he can keep clean, is there a better WR in the NFL? Julio, Brown, ODB? If he's anything like he was 3 years ago, which his last preseason work seemed to suggest, this freak of nature is a notch above those guys.

Worth the gamble imo. Especially because I think he'll still be on his rookie deal for one more year with an option to bring him back below market value for a 2nd season.

Last edited:
I'd love for the Jets to give him a shot here. Maybe a straight trade for Sheldon would get it done?

Obviously a huge risk of getting into trouble again, but the guy has to realize this is his last shot and making millions and saving his career.

If he can keep clean, is there a better WR in the NFL? Julio, Brown, ODB? If he's anything like he was 3 years ago, which his last preseason work seemed to suggest), this freak of nature is notch above those guys.

Worth the gamble imo. Especially because I think he'll still be on his rookie deal for one more year with an option to bring him back below market value for a 2nd season.
No no that's not how any of this works...
Your franchise is clueless...Inept...Not capable of making intelligent moves. Vincent Jackson is available for 11M a year!
What a bargain!

Last edited:
If a player is willing to risk his entire career over some green bud I have my reservations on the type of life change commitment he would need to make. If the Pats got him then they are basically writing off Hogan, Mitchell and/or Allen as they would rarely see playing time with Edelman, Cooks, Gronk and now Gordon on the field ahead of them. Would have loved the move a few years ago. Not anymore.

The risk would be low and the reward would be high. I'd welcome him here. That said, if it's not the Browns, I could see him ending up with one of the Jets, Miami, KC, Denver, or somewhere in the NFC. He'd be absolutely lethal on the Packers.

I also wonder where Floyd will go now that there're too many Cooks in the kitchen at Patriot Place.

I suspect he'll go somewhere like Carolina, who has a star QB and no one but Greg Olsen for him to throw to, though his reinstatement is far from a guarantee.

hes a completely different skillset then amendola.

I'd put him more in the chris hogan/cooks catagory.

I agree 100%, but he would probably be taking Amendola's roster spot, as Hogan can backup Edelman in the slot.

Agreed. I disagre with what someone said earlier, who called him high risk high rewards. As a FA pick up, like Floyd, he's actually low risk, high reward. Signing bonus, roster bonus - that's all you lose if he doesn't work out or has a relapse.

If he did work out though......oy vey.

I know what you are saying, but when I said High Riak / High Reward at a team friendly price, the high risk was for him screwing up, not the price.

If we signed Michael Floyd then this guy in comparison is a fricken Fairy.

Sign the guy.. I'd pay large for him and team test him daily.

Its easy to test for cannabis.. I think the Poilce here in the UK now do on the spot bud swabs in the mouth and add to litmus type paper which gives them an instant result for people thought to be driving under the influence of cannabis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents