PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When will they change the name of the trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betterthanmost

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
No need for a lot of words here, but I don't think it should be just called the Vince Lombardi trophy anymore. I know some prefer to stick wtih tradition but my gawd, there is another name that at a minimum needs to be shared on that trophy if not outright be used. Regardless of the outcome of this game, I am going to start a movement to get it talked about in the media so it gets rooted.

hell-froze-over.jpg

Maybe after Goodell retires. But nothing that recognizes the Patriots is coming out of 345 Park Ave anytime soon.

Never…… and stop trying to jinx this game!

BB will have his tribute someday and it will be great, but let’s not try to fix what isn’t broken. Lombardi was the epitome of championship football and BB wouldn’t want to displace him, even if others would, IMO.

No need for a lot of words here, but I don't think it should be just called the Vince Lombardi trophy anymore. I know some prefer to stick wtih tradition but my gawd, there is another name that at a minimum needs to be shared on that trophy if not outright be used. Regardless of the outcome of this game, I am going to start a movement to get it talked about in the media so it gets rooted.
Come on now. Vince Lombardi is a historic figure in the NFL and the trophy was named after him right after he died.

Belichick will be recognized at some point - after he retires and likely after the current regime in the NFL office is gone. It'll be in some other way that's probably not as good though. The "Bill Belichick Super Bowl Media Night," or the "Bill Belichick Ceremonial Super Bowl Coin Flip." Or even make a new tradition along the lines of the Green Jacket and present the Super Bowl winning coach with the "Bill Belichick Super Bowl Champion Hoodie."

Why would they name it after a guy who rode Brady's coattails since 2004?

Come on now. Vince Lombardi is a historic figure in the NFL and the trophy was named after him right after he died.

Belichick will be recognized at some point - after he retires and likely after the current regime in the NFL office is gone. It'll be in some other way that's probably not as good though. The "Bill Belichick Super Bowl Media Night," or the "Bill Belichick Ceremonial Super Bowl Coin Flip." Or even make a new tradition along the lines of the Green Jacket and present the Super Bowl winning coach with the "Bill Belichick Super Bowl Champion Hoodie."
There's something poetic about the "Bill Belichick Super Bowl Media Night,"

And if we're going to name the coin flip after anyone my vote is "The Matthew Slater you should call heads coin toss"

I’ve been calling the super bowl the Bill Belichick Super Bowl invitational. Should stick after we win this Sunday.

No way would I ever change the name of that trophy from Lombardi.

The only change allowable under current NFL leadership would be to change it to the "Roger Goodell trophy"

The turd commish would probably back that idea.

More likely would be to name something that has no person's name associated to it now. Make the Super Bowl MVP trophy the "Tom Brady trophy"

The Lamar Hunt trophy is named after someone who never even won one. ;)

The Lamar Hunt trophy is named after someone who never even won one. ;)

Technically he never won an AFCCG, but that game is the legacy of the AFL championship game, which his team did win in 1962 (as the Dallas Texans) in 1966 when they then lost the first Super Bowl to Green Bay, and in 1969, when they then won SB IV.

3 AFL titles in 10 years and he was pretty important in founding the AFL in the first place, so it's deserving.

FWIW, one of my co-workers, who's an avid Giants fan, thinks the trophy should be named after Belichick.

There's something poetic about the "Bill Belichick Super Bowl Media Night,"

And if we're going to name the coin flip after anyone my vote is "The Matthew Slater you should call heads coin toss"
I love the "Bill Belichick Super Bowl Media Night". All answers are required to be monosyllabic single sentences delivered in a monotone with no change of expression, unless they are about the history of football in which case there are no restrictions other than endurance of speaker and audience.

I don't think they should change it. But if they did, I will enjoy seeing everyone outside of New England lose their collective minds over it.

The only change allowable under current NFL leadership would be to change it to the "Roger Goodell trophy"

The turd commish would probably back that idea.

More likely would be to name something that has no person's name associated to it now. Make the Super Bowl MVP trophy the "Tom Brady trophy"

This is an excellent idea.

FWIW, one of my co-workers, who's an avid Giants fan, thinks the trophy should be named after Belichick.
while he’s still coaching? “The Belichick Trophy” just doesn’t sound.....

I love the "Bill Belichick Super Bowl Media Night". All answers are required to be monosyllabic single sentences delivered in a monotone with no change of expression, unless they are about the history of football in which case there are no restrictions other than endurance of speaker and audience.
NFL Owners meeting late March:

Roger Goodell: "Finally as we conclude these meetings, we wanted to honor coach Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots for his remarkable achievements in his life in the NFL. 6 Super Bowl championships as a head coach, 8 championships overall, 12 Super Bowl appearances. In recognition of these great accomplishments and the incredible navigation and concentration it took, our Super Bowl media night will be branded henceforth as the Bill Belichick Super Bowl Media Night. Come on up Bill, congratulations!"

(polite applause from the crowd)

Bill Belichick: "Thank you Mr. Commissioner, but we're on to the draft."

Leave the name alone, move on.

Go Pats

And most importantly the media must kiss the rings to enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes