PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's wrong with the Chiefs?

amfootball

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
KC has the same record as us. Their defense is letting up an average of 32 points a game. Mahomes has looked off a lot this season.

What's the problem in KC?

Did Brady/Bucs break them? Are defenses figuring them out now the 4 man front and 2 deep safeties?

What can they do to get back on track?

Mahomes isn't on a rookie contract anymore. Chiefs were stacked early on because mahomes was making $700k. Now they paid mahomes, hill, Kelce

And there's no money left for the defense.

I am going to go with the defense allowing 32 points a game:notsaying:

Mahomes has looked off a lot this season.

You do realize Mahomes is on pace for 54 TDs?:ninja:

I am going to go with the defense allowing 32 points a game:notsaying:

Mahomes has looked off a lot this season.

You do realize Mahomes is on pace for 54 TDs?:ninja:
He has more picks than Jones.

From the games I’ve seen, my general impression was the offense is still pretty good but a bit wishy-washy, and the defense is hot garbage. When they get behind because of their crap defense they can’t catch fire on offense the way they used to. But they seem to think they can, so their effort isn’t the greatest until they fall behind…

There is nothing wrong with the chiefs. Staying on top is basically impossible. They had an excellent three year run - like most dominant teams - that resulted in one SB.

Understanding “what’s wrong with KC” (which is ‘nothing’) is step one towards appreciating the ridiculous success of NE since 2001.

Nothing wrong with the chiefs,it's just that other teams are catching up to them. I get that Mahomes is the messiah,but other team practice & game plan too. They need to adapt or they won't go very far.

There is nothing wrong with the chiefs. Staying on top is basically impossible. They had an excellent three year run - like most dominant teams - that resulted in one SB.

Understanding “what’s wrong with KC” (which is ‘nothing’) is step one towards appreciating the ridiculous success of NE since 2001.
I agree with this. I think our ridiculous success for 2 decades has crushed the rest of the NFL in terms of expectations. And with Brady continuing to dominate in the NFC, it has been almost a triple mind blow.

Mahomes isn't on a rookie contract anymore. Chiefs were stacked early on because mahomes was making $700k. Now they paid mahomes, hill, Kelce

And there's no money left for the defense.

This is a big part of it, and the reality for every team in the league since the Salary Cap was instituted. The Patriots sustained success was due to Tom Brady and Bill's ability to coach up that lower-salaried middle class. Mahomes can still be the kind of guy to elevate a roster, but they need to give him a defense.

From the games I’ve seen, my general impression was the offense is still pretty good but a bit wishy-washy, and the defense is hot garbage. When they get behind because of their crap defense they can’t catch fire on offense the way they used to. But they seem to think they can, so their effort isn’t the greatest until they fall behind…

And really, this is how they've been playing the last three years. Even in their Championship season, they were down 21-0 to Houston in the wildcard round, then down 20-10 going into the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. They were always relying on their big play offense to just eventually be too much for the other teams, and had just enough playmakers on defense to keep them in it while they got it going. But that just doesn't feel like a sustainable winning strategy to me.

Teams figured out that if you take away the broken play homeruns and force Mahomes to actually play the position in the short game, he's not great at it. Also, the dumb throws he constantly makes are getting picked off now.

Also also, that defense suuuuuuuucks.

Teams figured out that if you take away the broken play homeruns and force Mahomes to actually play the position in the short game, he's not great at it. Also, the dumb throws he constantly makes are getting picked off now.

Also also, that defense suuuuuuuucks.
It does not get mentioned enough but Mahomes was picked at 10 and sat his rookie season because he was not a traditional QB and needed to learn to play the position more traditionally. Perhaps the mistake the Chiefs have made is not forcing him to play more within the game earlier but that being said, he is making a lot of mistakes when he is asked to do that because he has a lot of bad habits fundamentally and he is not patient. I think he can improve and will improve but the overall construction of the team is a mess. From his contract to the poor drafting especially on defense.

I agree with this. I think our ridiculous success for 2 decades has crushed the rest of the NFL in terms of expectations. And with Brady continuing to dominate in the NFC, it has been almost a triple mind blow.

What the Patriots did is unprecedented. But even the Patriots went 10 years without winning a Superbowl. From 2004-2014. Brady just covered up for the roster deficiencies in some of those years while they rebuilt.

ABCEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
This goes back to the player vs coach discussion. Spagnuolo was considered a genius when he led those Giant defenses to two SBs over the Pats. Now that he has nothing to work with he's a bum.

And I'm enjoying the heck out of having the same record as KC during our rebuilding year with the 5th QB taken in the draft.

What the Patriots did is unprecedented. But even the Patriots went 10 years without winning a Superbowl. From 2004-2014. Brady just covered up for the roster deficiencies in some of those years while they rebuilt.
I've always said this but Brady ran the O and Bill ran the D. It was the perfect match because Brady was THAT good that he did not need an offensive minded HC and Bill was THAT good that he could game plan to stop most any offense. They also got matched up when Bill was young, age 49. Just so many variables for other teams to try to have all in line and I have not even gotten to the stable ownership.

I said this a few weeks back, but Mahomes is playing like he's bought into his own hype, and it's costing his team. he needs to cut back on the no look falling down, throwing up a prayer passes that are now turning into interceptions instead of miraculous touchdowns.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back