PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's wrong with the Chiefs?

Another "the draft is so easy, just get stars with every pick" post.

There is no magic formula for building a team. It does not exist.

It is guesswork built on just raw data - it has no way to account for personality, work ethic, injuries, fit with other teammates, coachability, off-field drive to improve (fitness, game film, etc), family, salary cap, agents, etc, etc - all of which (plus other factors) has a definitive impact otherwise the draft success rate and free agency success rate would be extremely high and sustainable and follow GMs wherever they went.
Exactly... It goes both ways... The chiefs paid mahomes big money but cant have a good defense but somehow buffalo paid josh allen and does????

Exactly... It goes both ways... The chiefs paid mahomes big money but cant have a good defense but somehow buffalo paid josh allen and does????
Because the other money is all tied up in trying to make mahomes better, they spent a ton on oline. Other teams spend money on defense too. How many times did the pats go get receivers off trash heaps and give to Brady so they could muscle up the D more.

Yup no good players after the first round. How did the patriots do it?
I think he means that you do not get your pick of the litter anymore when you win every year. Its easier to get a top player in the first 5 picks than in the bottom 5.

A whole brand new OL doesn't help for sure. But also, judging from some players comments, they seem to have developed a superiority complex and might have got a bit lazy
That superiority complex has turned off their opponents as well. After they won the SB, THE TEAM was talking about winning the SB again, and how they were gonna win 7 SBs. That made teams want to punch them in the mouth and shut them up. They have. They are 2-4 since winning the AFC Championship game. Including blowout losses to the Bucs in the SB and vs Buffalo in their revenge game.

I still expect them to be there in the AFC Championship game, but the game may be in Buffalo, who knows how to beat them. But something is definitely off, they’ve lost more games in 5 games this year, than they lost in 16 games last year, and Mahomes has 6 INTs in 5 games, had 6 all last year. Offensive line wise, I believe they lost Thuney for a while with a broken hand. Even if he doesn’t miss time, I doubt he’ll be as effective with the broken hand. Also lost Edwards-Helaire last night.

Yeah I have to say, FSU has us beat there.
Went to my one and only Gator home game in the late 90's and went out to the clubs in Gainseville that night. Keep in mind I had attended to college in New England where the level attractiveness of coeds was determined by the cleanliness of the sweatshirts they wore to parties.
Not at U of F where a Boston 10 is a Gator 4.
It was a parade of tanned legs in ****tail dresses, a far cry from athletic department pullovers and Bean boots
I vowed that day not to subject my sons to the harshness of the northeast.

They’ve played a tough schedule so far but they look seriously flawed on defense. Their defense was never much to write home about and pulled a 2006 Colts defense the year they won the super bowl.

Ok... So you draft defensive rookies on cheap contracts

Kind of hard to do when when your first two draft picks are 32 and 63 in 2020 & 58 and 63 in 2021.

For years on this board I've read advice from posters that you should take out Tyreek Hill and it cuts the head off that dragon. Even Bill Belichick didn't heed that advice. (Not that he would have). Last year Tyreek proved that he was out of this world yet again, and the coaches finally gave in. Now they realize that Mahomes relies way too much on Tyreek. Until KC figures out their second act, they will continue to be limited.

The Chiefs three first round picks during the Mahomes era (picks 28-32):

2019 trade a first & pay Frank Clark

Clark is more or less a JAG. He’s making $20+ million on top of sending a 1st round pick for him.

2020 draft Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Edwards-Helaire is a JAG. He is a backup RB in the NFL.

present trade for Orlando Brown

Brown is an above average LT. He will cost $20+ million a year as a FA.

Poor drafting & a top heavy roster are already hurting the Chiefs. Once Travis Kelce declines they are going to have problems on offense.

It's almost like competing in the NFL at a high level, year in and year out, is actually a lot harder than the resident super genius coaches and GMs believe.

"Who own Da Chiefs?"

They somehow signed Thuney and traded for Olando Brown Jr.

However, look at their drafts since Mahomes and Kareem Hunt in 2017. It’s brutal.

is Thuney a mid tier free agent? Was Brown?

Imo they arent... those guys are supposed to be quality starters... and they replaced the contracts of the guys they replaced...

But losing a guy like sammy watkins hurts them because of how they run their offense... its predicated on match ups... and are now without the excess that made covering all the guys hard for a backfield... now defenses flood the backfield they only have to really worry about the abuser and gronk wannabe...

that large deal isnt the only reason ... but it plays a part of it...

Teams figured out that if you take away the broken play homeruns and force Mahomes to actually play the position in the short game, he's not great at it. Also, the dumb throws he constantly makes are getting picked off now.

Also also, that defense suuuuuuuucks.
This is key and something that was highlighted last night. If you noticed the DE's stayed home and did not chase. Forcing Mahomes to stay in the pocket. Often times longer than his internal clock thought was ok, leading him to run around in circles within the perfectly formed pocket. He rushed throws a few times because if this too.

It is a sound strategy one I would think you would see more often in College and the NFL. It's obviously not the same, but few years ago when Inwas coaching. We played a team who's QB had a cannon and was shifty. Went on to play D1 ball. However keeping him in the pocket was rule number one that week. Do not let him beat us with his legs. The DE's no matter what don't get more than 3 yards deep and do not chase. Just stay home and wait until he comes to you. We shut them out and went to Florida for the national championship tournament.

The Bills may have punched their ticket for HFA in the AFC with that strategy last night. Will be interesting to see if other teams follow suite and have the discipline and patience to pull it off.

And yes as I said before the season their defense is below average. I just didn't realize that they were this bad. They outright suck.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back