PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What this league has become?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You people complaining about the calls obviously didn't watch the whole game.

The Jets were getting hosed all game with terrible calls.

And you choose to complain about them calling a blatant PI? (He grabbed his facemask)

While the call was a correct one, there is no way that the ref that threw the flag could see the accidental facemask. he was calling the penalty on something else, which from what I saw wasn't there. The end result was correct, but the way they got there wasn't.

The ref also managed to not see Holmes pulling on the defender's jersey before the defender was turned around. That play should have been either penalties on both or a non-call. Jets are getting way too many 'breaks' this season. Sancries throws up his arms anytime any throw is near a reciever and the guy doesn't catch it.

This is my exact complaint with the rules as they are currently set up:

-The defender can't touch the receiver past five yards, so he has to watch him to see where he is going (the defender can't look back to the ball if he is man to man or he will lose track of the receiver)

- The receiver is looking for the ball, so if it is underthrown, he will be able to react to that and slow down/come in for the ball.

-Since the defender is not able to look for the ball, he will always be unaware of an underthrown ball UNTIL he sees the receiver react to it. Thus, he will be moving in one direction while the receiver tries to come back to the ball THROUGH the defender.

- As a result, an underthrown ball will always result in the receiver initiating contact with the defender (who is not looking for the ball because the rules are set up so he cannot), but for some odd reason, this is consistently called defensive PI.

This is definitely something that needs to be looked at soon. Defenders are put in a position where it is almost impossible for them to cover receivers without being called for penalties.

THIS!!!

Although the call was correct in Denver today, watch what Indy does. They deliberately do what you describe every week. Simple solution is that if the offensive player initiates the contact its Offensive PI. That would stop the clown calls the forehead does every week.

Oh and PI should be 10 yds, if the offense is only penalized 10. Or the O should get a loss of down.

Much worse was the one on McCourty today. As the rules are currently being enforced the defender has NO RIGHT AS IN ZERO to be on the field. The pass was thrown too far inside, McCourty stride for stride with the reciever. The reciever tries to go THROUGH HIM to the ball. NOT McCourty interferring with him. Absolute bull**** and ruins the game of football.

Come on, McCourty didn't make any attempt to make a play on the ball. That was a textbook PI call and I have no problem with that being a penalty if the DB makes no attempt to play the ball. The sad part was if he did play the ball, thats an easy int because he had position.

What an outrage, these rules must be changed or the Jets are going to continue to take advantage of these horrible rules.

I watched the whole Jets game at the bar and that was the only call that went their way.

That umpire crew was actually terrible.

The problem with that is if ur beat deep you can kamikaze into the player and save the TD plus 30 or so yards.

I don't see that as a problem. It's strategy. If you want to keep on giving the other team 15-yard automatic first downs, fine... you aren't going to win many games doing that. The same thing can be said about many penalties, such as holding by the OL. They see their QB is going to get destroyed so they drag their man down and take a chance that it won't be seen.

They could have called it defensive holding, 10 yards and a first. Would have made the Jets earn the winning touchdown.

It was the correct call, he grabbed his facemask as sick as it was to see being a Patriot. And I honestly believe if he hadn't done it that Holmes would have made the catch anyways. And I think the rule is right too.
There was an incident earlier in the game where Revis came flying in helmet to helmet with a receiver that wasn't called. I'd like to know why nothing was called on that one.

I'm much more concerned about the officials in the Patriots game. We got screwed big time on a phantom illegal contact call, and there was the no catch that had to be challenged by Belichick and the first down that was given to the Ravens that had to be challenged as well and there were others too.

There are a lot of bad calls made these days and it is becoming a bit ridiculous. Its all down to that idiot Polian being on that competitions committee which he shouldn't be.

Just watched replays of the PI on the Bronco's...

Sanchez throws up a prayer...both players jostling for position...but clearly, with both players trying to catch the ball...and the Bronco player getting his pinkie and ring finger on the face mask....while looking up for the ball...ball falls to the ground....

Not much PI there...if anything, call the pass incomplete and call a 15 yard face mask on the Bronco's....Gives the Jets an automatic first down, but it would still be a 50 yard attempt...and worse case scenario, Jets kick FG and game goes to overtime.

Yup....I'd say the Jets got a huge gift.

But I can't feel bad for the Bronco fans who feel ripped off by the call. Patriots have been getting hosed in Denver for years....

Yup....I'd say the Jets got a huge gift.

They got a gift that the DB grabbed (and turned) the facemask as he was falling backwards. They didn't get a gift with the call... it was pretty blatant.

Jets cant be defeated they are bleesed for some referee in las vegas lol lol lol

we heard you the first time you posted it.

Not sure what the problem was with the call. It was pretty obvious.
Remember back in '97 (?) against the Bills when Glenn had the bead for the winning TD being thrown to him, only to have a Bill shove him out of the way? Remember how the Bills fans whined about that? HEY, it would have been lame if the ref's *didn't* throw a flag.

those penelties are really irritating good or bad cause it's a huge penalty it should just be 10 or 15 yarder and first down

:yeahthat:

the call was correct, the rule sucks.

They got a gift that the DB grabbed (and turned) the facemask as he was falling backwards. They didn't get a gift with the call... it was pretty blatant.

==============================================

Nice win by your Griz yesterday, the game was only a 1/2 mile from me and I can say the fans traveled well.

Come on, McCourty didn't make any attempt to make a play on the ball. That was a textbook PI call and I have no problem with that being a penalty if the DB makes no attempt to play the ball. The sad part was if he did play the ball, thats an easy int because he had position.

He got a penalty for interfering with the wide receiver. NOT for not making a play a the ball. Another play that shows the ignorance of this rule is when a deep ball is thrown a little short and the rceiever tries to slow down and reach back for the ball. The DB looks back for the ball and plows into the reciever.Yellow Flag PI penalty. Look its pretty simple the defender needs to have a right to be on the field and if the QB throws a pass that the WR has to go through the defender to get to the ball = no penalty = bad throw. If the DB hits the WR before the ball = penalty. Simple as that.

I thought there was pass interference against the Ravens on the Ravens pick that led to their 2nd half touchdown. The intended target (don't remember who) was pretty much shoved out of the play after the ball was thrown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST