PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What positions?

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Long before we start making draft binkies,I believe it is important to decide what positions need help first. BB believes in building a Team, not collecting stars. So what positions do you think merit drafting, or what he thinks merit drafting?

Unlike the previous 5 years when he emphasized Defense, I suspect that this Draft may be dedicated to acquiring Offensive skill players. RBs and WRs might actually be drafted, IMHO.

The only exception might be a draft of a LOT candidate first. I'd go OT, RB, RB, WR with #2, #3, #3 and #4.

What say you?

I will start with the obvious point, that it depends.

I think the only position that is a very safe bet to invest some resources is tackle, but how much? If Vollmer and Solder are brought back next year, do we expect our top pick in the draft to possibly not see the field? I have my doubts, but Vollmer will be coming up to his last season in his contract, and Solder will be bouncing back from injury himself.

Running back is another position that would seem be an obvious need right now, but this offseason? I think its safe to say that Lewis will be brought back slowly, but worst case scenario he comes back after the 8th game next season. White looks like a lock, as does Bolden, so do you want to use one of your better resources on a position that might be your 4th back if each our healthy? Maybe better to go for the sammy morris UFA route?

Wide out I think has the highest ceiling for draft spots, but I do wonder if the team has any questions about working in young receivers with an almost 40yr old qb. I could easily see Dola cut if he doesnt take a significant pay cut. I could see Dobson cut after not cashing in on his chances. I could see Lafell cut for not showing up this season. Tyms is another guy who we cannot plan to count on in a significant way. That means we have one receiver we can count on being a significant contributor next season. So, maybe we bring back the same cast of characters, maybe we have 4 new receivers next season, it could go either way.

Linebacker is another position that I think needs some attention. Mayo might make that need much lower if he takes a significant cut as well, but having someone with some mobility to cover Tight Ends/rbs should be something they try and find in the draft. Its just so hard to find LBs in the league with any athleticsm that dont cost a dump trucks worth of money. I will stamp this as my only definite draftable, but it could be a late round flyer.

Tight end is probably my favourite current target with a top two pick since so much of our success rests on Gronk at this point. Chandlers concrete hands leave a lot to be desired, and would do wonders in freeing up Edelman/gronk. There are a lot of guys available this year that could provide some signifacnt skills to our offense. With Williams and Cleveland on the roster right now, they may look at a more move tight end, but there are a number of guys that are very versatile talents.

Corner might make some sense, depending on what we see over the last part of the season from Leonard. We have a very clear 1-2 right now, which is a huge blessing, but that may have a one year shelf life. They may need to plan on the future with this draft so they arent left without a year from now. I could see them bring back brown as another depth piece, plus they get their young athletic draft off IR. Could be fine, could be a high pick.

Safefty has great depth right now, but could take a shot with Ebner and Wilson coming up for contracts. They shouldnt be terribly expensive, but that also means they wouldnt need expensive draft capital to replace. I could see them keep one and draft a replacement with one of their multiple 7th rounders.

OLB/DE is probably ok, but I keep spreading hate literature about possibly trading Chandler jones this offseason, so that could change draft needs as well.

The only places I dont see any draft resources are DT, C, G, QB. With that said, if someone falls, or a certain navy QB is sitting there in the 7th round, who knows.

you just know BB will take Keenan Reynolds, so somebody else is going to wind up taking him in the 5th or something.

That Navy QB will be converted to RB. I think that what he's going to the Shrine game as.

Does anyone else think Matt Forte ends up as a Patriot next year? And Marvin Jones is a free agent. Please, please, please!

That Navy QB will be converted to RB. I think that what he's going to the Shrine game as.

Does anyone else think Matt Forte ends up as a Patriot next year? And Marvin Jones is a free agent. Please, please, please!
I really doubt it for either, that's just me thinking someone is going to give them more money

I really doubt it for either, that's just me thinking someone is going to give them more money

4m per was the going rate for RBs last year (Gore, Matthews and Spiller) and if you take off what Blount was earning, just under 1m, you're looking at 3m. That's a lot but Forte is a 1500yd per season guy. BB looked at Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin and CJ Spiller last off-season so he's certainly looking for that all-purpose guy. He might be OK with that just being Dion Lewis or maybe he wants two guys that can do that. He probably won't spend that money, but Forte is someone that I think BB might just be interested in - team guy, no apparent ego, productive and talented.

As for Marvin Jones, that's just wishful thinking. He's one of my first binkies and would make me very happy

I would flip it around and say forte seems like the type of guy who might be interested in coming here.

I don't know if there is a fit with white/Lewis, but that pro's pro at the end of his prime, looking for one real shot with a great qb, who doesn't play in his current division. I think there might be a fit for him if he decides to leave Chicago.

Well obviously you never want to take anything 100% off the table. That said every team has needs and you can't draft with them not in mind entirely. It is a balancing act.

That said on defense I'd first look at LB and CB. I think Mayo is gone and Even with Leonard CB is a position you can pay dearly for not constantly investing. We don't know if Brown will be back and Roberts even though he showed progress is unproven.

On offense I'd first look at RB, TE OT. Maybe you bring Blount back and are happy with him Lewis, White, Bolden, Develin. I think you could do better than Blount as a lead back though if you invest a good pick. On TE Chandler has been okay and your 3rd option is??? Even with keeping chandler next year 3rd TE is very upgradable. OT like CB is a spot you need to constantly invest in. Vollmer might not play much longer and even if him and Solder stay 4 years I don't love Cannon as third OT and that is a important position.

However depending on things WR & DE could jump to big needs.

I would flip it around and say forte seems like the type of guy who might be interested in coming here.

I don't know if there is a fit with white/Lewis, but that pro's pro at the end of his prime, looking for one real shot with a great qb, who doesn't play in his current division. I think there might be a fit for him if he decides to leave Chicago.
I usually doubt any player in the NFL is going to leave money on the table, especially a RB who just turned 30. He is going to want as much money as possible as this is going to be his last contract

4m per was the going rate for RBs last year (Gore, Matthews and Spiller) and if you take off what Blount was earning, just under 1m, you're looking at 3m. That's a lot but Forte is a 1500yd per season guy. BB looked at Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin and CJ Spiller last off-season so he's certainly looking for that all-purpose guy. He might be OK with that just being Dion Lewis or maybe he wants two guys that can do that. He probably won't spend that money, but Forte is someone that I think BB might just be interested in - team guy, no apparent ego, productive and talented.

As for Marvin Jones, that's just wishful thinking. He's one of my first binkies and would make me very happy
Ya know, the Cincy WR we might go after is Sanu. Versatile player from Rutgers. Need I say more?

Ya know, the Cincy WR we might go after is Sanu. Versatile player from Rutgers. Need I say more?

Very possibly, BB will like that versatility. Would still rather have Jones and Miller though. WR fixed with those two.

Very possibly, BB will like that versatility. Would still rather have Jones and Miller though. WR fixed with those two.

I'd like to hit WR and T this off-season with 2017 in mind. Seabass and LaFell will be
free agents after 2016. Hard to see Amendola back in 2017 too. Want to keep as much
cap space available as we can in order to extend our young defensive players.

I think Belichick feels way more comfortable drafting defensive players - it seems easier to project their transition to the pro's.

It also has to be said that they have a value chart and if a TE or C/G was available of significant value it would trump and perceived bias towards defence.

My guess at a purely 'need' outlook:

1. OT - i'd love Solder back and definitely don't undervalue him unlike many here - but contract season injuries tend to really muddy the waters on extensions and perceived values on both sides.

2. TE - as stated above, right now its all Gronk, all day, every day - which puts in a precarious position should he miss time next year - also it precludes a LOT of clever stuff McD (if he stays) can draw up with 2 genuine double threat TE's on the field (or even Gronk + a move TE).

3. Penetrating DT - I love what Easley brings to the table but we find ourselves imagining what could be in the postseason with this guy after yet another late season IR - we've seen how well a solid D-line rotation can work this year - this is something we need to have in the bank next year.

4. LB - with Mayo likely a cap casualty (or even if he stays at a reduced rate) we could do with some insurance for Collins and HT.

5. Nickel CB - most likely another Arrington smurf-type clone - we've picked up some interesting prospects this year but this really is a starter slot so no harm in drafting some extra depth.

6. DE - I think Chandler Jones will be priced above what we are willing to pay so we'll need some depth behind Sheard/Ninko.

Areas that I don't think come into serious consideration outside late round dart throws:

1. QB.

2. RB - these guys look good on paper but in reality, their opportunity cost is too high when you think what you can regularly pick up undrafted.

3. S - we are pretty stacked here - good depth and close to the line type guys aswell as the single deep type.

Long before we start making draft binkies,I believe it is important to decide what positions need help first. BB believes in building a Team, not collecting stars. So what positions do you think merit drafting, or what he thinks merit drafting?

As ayjackson noted years ago, "you don't pick binkies; binkies pick you.....you're helpless as far as timing goes."

1. OT - i'd love Solder back and definitely don't undervalue him unlike many here - but contract season injuries tend to really muddy the waters on extensions and perceived values on both sides.

Solder's signed for two more years.

2. TE - as stated above, right now its all Gronk, all day, every day - which puts in a precarious position should he miss time next year - also it precludes a LOT of clever stuff McD (if he stays) can draw up with 2 genuine double threat TE's on the field (or even Gronk + a move TE).

AJ Derby is on IR. Not saying he'll pan out, but he could be the answer.

3. Penetrating DT - I love what Easley brings to the table but we find ourselves imagining what could be in the postseason with this guy after yet another late season IR - we've seen how well a solid D-line rotation can work this year - this is something we need to have in the bank next year.

Chris Jones should be back next year, and we know he can be productive. I'd love to see what he could do with this group.

1. QB.

2. RB - these guys look good on paper but in reality, their opportunity cost is too high when you think what you can regularly pick up undrafted.

3. S - we are pretty stacked here - good depth and close to the line type guys aswell as the single deep type.

Pretty much agreed, although if there's a QB they really like, they may want to grab him, since as much as I like Garoppolo, he may time out.

Solder's signed for two more years.

Good catch - i'd forgotten all about the extension - despite the injury i'm happy we have our LOT locked down for awhile longer.

AJ Derby is on IR. Not saying he'll pan out, but he could be the answer.

Its a nice thought. More of a move TE right? I'm guessing the red shirt year won't do him too much harm as he sounds pretty raw.

Chris Jones should be back next year, and we know he can be productive. I'd love to see what he could do with this group.

I think Chris Jones is one of those players that the Patriots have absolutely maximised in terms of potential. He wouldn't get a gig on many other teams. I think we need someone with more upside.

so to conclude, nobody has any idea what position they will target.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

With our first pick coming late in the second round, I think the only positions we can eliminate from drafting consideration are QB, P, K and LS.

On offense - We are probably set at TE and C. OT and OG have lots of bodies, however more competition is always welcome, but probably via a day three pick. So that leaves WR and RB. Lately it seems BB has hit a wall when it comes to drafting WR's. Maybe he is better off looking for one in Free Agency. So that leaves RB as a place BB could go in the second round. However BB would probably prefer sure handed veterans in this position. So my conclusion is defense is where he is going in the second round of this draft.

On defense - We are probably set at DE. All other defensive positions could be where BB spends his second round pick. DT has two first rounders and two finds in Hicks and Branch. Linebacker is very thin and BB has used a second round pick on Collins previously. Free and Strong safety have some bodies. So that leaves CB, where we are literally pulling bodies from anywhere we can and have had only three dressed for long stretches of the season.

In conclusion: I am hoping CB Sanchez of Oklahoma runs well and is on the board at #63!

I did a quick spreadsheet projecting a pre draft/FA roster for the Pats.

Assumptions:

1. No Mayo or Cannon brought back for next year.
  2. I haven't included edge of the roster guys like Iosefa, AJ Derby, Tyler Gaffney, Brian Tyms
  3. I'm not assuming that Hankerson, Waddle, Keshawn Martin or Dobson are coming back.
  4. I am including all four young CBs in Roberts, Johnson, Hill and Coleman.
  5. I'm thinking about the final 53 man roster here.
Conclusion.

The only players I think we definitely need are (not in order of priority)

1. A RB
2. 2 x WRs. Based on the assumption that Edelman, Lafell and Amendola are the only 53-man locks.
3. 2 x OTs. Bearing in mind that Cameron Fleming flirted with the PS this year, I'm not assuming he's a lock.
4. 1 (or 2) x linebackers. This depends on whether you consider Freeney a keeper or not.
5 1x DE (This really depends on whether you consider Grissom a DT (I am doing so) and what you think of Rufus Johnson's chances of being on the roster next year.
6. 1 x FS - Depends on whether you think Harmon will be re-signed after next year. If he continues on his current trajectory, that might be difficult. There's a fairly decent premium on safeties that can play single-high.

And that's about it. No doubt there will be surprise cuts and maybe re-signings (Hankerson for example) that will change that dynamic but this is how I see things currently.

Depends who they let walk.

OT, 3rd LB, CB TE RB and WR are options though generally.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back