PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position should the Pats take with their next [Day 2, #34] pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Pats take with their next pick (now 34)?

• WR

Votes: 56 48.3%
  • OT

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • DB

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So many good options on the board. I like Mitchell and McConkey, and Cooper DeJean is tough to pass on. OT has been cleaned out of the top two tiers of prospects, as everyone predicted. People aren’t going to like it but if I’m making the pick I’m taking Jackson Powers-Johnson, but I think the Oatriots are going to trade out of the pick. Powers-Johnson is the best Center/ interior OL in this draft, and they can still move up to get one of the next tier of OT or WR with their next pick.

It’s funny because I haven’t heard one word about how “ good “ Jake Andrews is in all of the discussions leading up to the draft, but now that. Center is in play at 34 people suddenly love him? I really like McConkey and Mitchell, but as most here have said they don’t need another slot receiver; and the stuff about Mitchell’s diabetes scared me off of him.

If they stay with the pick they can go many different ways, because the board is still loaded with talented players, but I think they will trade down, the question is how far?
Why would there be discussions about Jake Andrews leading up to the draft?

He started one game last year and he played really well.

People keep talking about how this team has needs all over the field and we're going to waste a premium pick on positions that have the following players who could play there? David Andrews, Sidy Sow, Jake Andrews, Mike Onwenu, Antonio Mafi, Cole Strange? We already have a bunch of guys for these positions.

Watching 4 of the last 5 picks in the first round be all WRs and a OT was painful (and it'll be 5 of 6 by the time we pick). I feel like it thinned the Pats' board specifically.

Now, our brother Wozzy here is rather bullish on an OT named Paul as a blue chip talent, which is swaying me a bit but... I've never seen Wozzy not being bullish about anything so I'm going to need more convincing.

Voted for WR
This management team has telegraphed its intentions all offseason and the combination of resigning Onwenu for tackle money and patting themselves on the back for signing jaggy Okorafor, I have to believe WR is their most pressing concern with several viable solutions within reach at 34.
Furthermore, I am projecting that NE will finally address OT in the 1st next year with their likely high pick.
The organization can't keep kicking the OT can down the street forever.
To be fair there's no amount of deceit short of Jedi mind stuff that could mask our biggest needs being QB, LT, and WR.

Though I agree that holding things close to the vest should be a habit, regardless of how obvious it may seem at times.

Watching 4 of the last 5 picks in the first round be all WRs and a OT was painful (and it'll be 5 of 6 by the time we pick). I feel like it thinned the Pats' board specifically.

Now, our brother Wozzy here is rather bullish on an OT named Paul as a blue chip talent, which is swaying me a bit but... I've never seen Wozzy not being bullish about anything so I'm going to need more convincing.
Then listen to State, who's saying the same thing.

My plan: take Ladd McConkey, and then get ready to pounce on a trade back into the 2nd round when any one of these 2 gets taken: K Sumataia or P Paul.

I am not excited about spending a 3rd on Fisher, Rosengarten or Amegadije. I think it's way too high for those 3.

It will take at least a 4th rounder to trade from early 3rd round to the middle of the 2nd. Maybe a 2nd rounder next year.

I would trade down, personally, but not more than ~10 slots if possible. You may be able to pick up an extra 3rd.

Adonai Mitchell Would be nice but I have a feeling the bills taking him. They been trading down and stocked up few picks.

Ladd McConkey is probably the guy that Mayo is looking for. He has the skills Jules and Welker had. Excellent route runner, good blocker and solid YAC.
No offense to Jules and Welk but I'm hoping he is more of a faster Cooper Kupp.

Last edited:
Fletcher who?
I think I wrote an arbitrary guys name starting with F .. Franklin is what I heard on couple of posters posts. I dunno who that is. My knowledge is limited beyond the first rounders and few of the second rounders that we are discussing now.

I obviously love the Maye pick. I'm disappointed that the two remaining X Type potential #1 WR's on the board won't be ours. Carolina had the balls to make the smart move to get Leggette in a trade with Buffalo, and now Buffalo gets their Diggs of the future (only bigger) in Mitchell (who they'll no doubt take at #33). Hell no on Coleman in the 2nd round, and the same regarding the Oregon WR who's a copy of Tyquan Thornton. Devontez Walker (Maye's only weapon his last season), has decent size and speed, but not quite at the same level as Mitchell (but I would take him in the 2nd round if I took a WR). Most of the remaining top WR's are slot types and we have enough of those for the moment.

A. ESPNs BPA lists are always terrible. B. They should pick Kingsley Suamataia.
You may get your wish. Suamataia had a Top 30 visit with the Pats.

Other Top 30s for OT(...ish):

Blake Fisher (~2nd/3rd)
Caedan Wallace (~6th)
Travis Glover (~7th)
Darrell Simpson (~UDFA)
Giovanni Manu (~UDFA)
Donovan Jennings (~UDFA)

We know why Coleman fell(poor 40) yet he had the fastest gauntlet time.

AD apparently fell because he's diabetic.

I would take Ladd because he can run all the routes.
Type 1 Diabetic and father to a toddler. Geez, that's tough. Thankfully the Pats have world class facilities to handle both of those situations.

Why would there be discussions about Jake Andrews leading up to the draft?

He started one game last year and he played really well.

People keep talking about how this team has needs all over the field and we're going to waste a premium pick on positions that have the following players who could play there? David Andrews, Sidy Sow, Jake Andrews, Mike Onwenu, Antonio Mafi, Cole Strange? We already have a bunch of guys for these positions.

I don’t see taking a top player on the OL as wasting a pick, and we definitely talked about the entire OL and WR units in the lead up to the draft, not just the starters. I’m fine with anyone who doesn’t agree with my choice, I even said people wouldn’t like it, but I’m looking more at the long run than next season. They didn’t pick Maye for the 25’ season, they picked him for the next decade, so I want them to build as strong a team around him as they can, and that includes most of the team. I would be fine with them taking Newton at 34 as well. Now that they have the QB I’m happy with them taking a bunch of different positions, I just want them to add great players.

I think they are trading out of 34, we will see what happens?

I don’t see taking a top player on the OL as wasting a pick, and we definitely talked about the entire OL and WR units in the lead up to the draft, not just the starters. I’m fine with anyone who doesn’t agree with my choice, I even said people wouldn’t like it, but I’m looking more at the long run than next season. They didn’t pick Maye for the 25’ season, they picked him for the next decade, so I want them to build as strong a team around him as they can, and that includes most of the team. I would be fine with them taking Newton at 34 as well. Now that they have the QB I’m happy with them taking a bunch of different positions, I just want them to add great players.

I think they are trading out of 34, we will see what happens?
I'm just saying that IF the analysis is that the team is in need of players at many different positions, it would seem a bad decision to select a guy at the position we are most stocked at, if you're looking at interior OL. When it comes to tackles, though, we can't take enough of them

I would trade down, personally, but not more than ~10 slots if possible. You may be able to pick up an extra 3rd.
I like this approach. Not really enamored with trading any of our picks to move up, especially future picks.

This draft seems deep enough at our positions of need to get them with a small trade down.

Aren’t there 10 players left who we would be happy with in the 2nd?

Most of the top value is at WR. Given that we will sign or trade for a top WR (now or in the next offseason), WR is not our top need or value. We have Ok WR 2, 3, and 4.
======
There could be a defensive player if we truly are BPA. There are first round quality corners and a first round quality DT.

I don’t care who they take if they stay at 34 as long as it is a WR or a CB.

From looking at the OT’s left, none are worthy of pick 34. There is no reason to reach for a position of need at 34 when there are so many BPA types available at positions of need.

If we traded down in the 2nd and picked up a 3rd, I wonder if this would allow the Pats to take a luxury player who would bring a Bruschi attitude to the defense, Payton Wilson.

If we traded down in the 2nd and picked up a 3rd, I wonder if this would allow the Pats to take a luxury player who would bring a Bruschi attitude to the defense, Payton Wilson.
perhaps

I would not be surprised with a defensive player at 34 or with a trade down.

There is value on Defense and we need Defense for 2025 and 2026, the focus of this draft after picking our QB.

Imagine the wild patsfans when if we were to pick a CB in SECOND round.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back