PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position should the Pats take with their next [Day 2, #34] pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Pats take with their next pick (now 34)?

• WR

Votes: 56 48.3%
  • OT

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • DB

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our number one need last year was OT. We didn’t address it except by drafting Sow and signing some question marks in free agency.

Our number two need this year was OT. We haven’t addressed it in the draft (and the choices aren’t great anymore) and signed a question mark in free agency.

Yeah, this new front office is off to a great start. But at least they were all smiles taking their picture in the draft room.
There wasn't a solid play to get an OT. Guytan was the only one we were in position for and by that point in the draft a bunch of teams traded for other position which meant they felt they needed to get their guy there.

Don’t overthink it. Mitchell or McConkey. Two guys who could definitely be the key piece to fix our long broken receiver group.

There wasn't a solid play to get an OT. Guytan was the only one we were in position for and by that point in the draft a bunch of teams traded for other position which meant they felt they needed to get their guy there.
I understand it, but it makes me scratch my head a lot more about why they didn't spend the money in free agency on OT.

I understand it, but it makes me scratch my head a lot more about why they didn't spend the money in free agency on OT.
My personally opinion is they are very comfortable with the idea that this is a multi year rebuild and didn't want to front a bunch of money on guys for this year when the team wasn't going to be able to compete for anything serious. You're basically losing a year hoping they don't decline and then worrying about extending them not long after you are ready.

My personally opinion is they are very comfortable with the idea that this is a multi year rebuild and didn't want to front a bunch of money on guys for this year when the team wasn't going to be able to compete for anything serious. You're basically losing a year hoping they don't decline and then worrying about extending them not long after you are ready.
I think that's right. But I think there's a very real chance they're wasting a good defense and we have no evidence that this front office and this coaching staff can maintain Bill's defense. (We have no evidence they can't, either.)

I think that's right. But I think there's a very real chance they're wasting a good defense and we have no evidence that this front office and this coaching staff can maintain Bill's defense. (We have no evidence they can't, either.)
Unfortunately, I don't think they really have a choice. They have a good defense, but the offense is dreadful and barring finding a Von Miller type and having a 2015 Broncos run (and let's be real, despite Manning being half dead, all the talent on that Denver offense was pretty rock solid), we were wasting the defense anyways.

I mean let's be real, they were really good last year and we got 4 games out of it.

Unfortunately, I don't think they really have a choice. They have a good defense, but the offense is dreadful and barring finding a Von Miller type and having a 2015 Broncos run (and let's be real, despite Manning being half dead, all the talent on that Denver offense was pretty rock solid), we were wasting the defense anyways.

I mean let's be real, they were really good last year and we got 4 games out of it.
I wasn't as down on the ability to rebuild as other people. I think if they had done the Falcons thing and signed Cousins and drafted Maye, gotten a better OT in free agency and then worked on a trade for a WR, we'd be looking at a fringe team. Instead, they've already decided to take the year off. That hopefully will prove to be a smart move, but it could backfire on us.

I want to pick someone there, but totally understand a trade down to gain some capital.

There's still tackles on the board, Patrick Paul or Kingsley Suamataia are worthy of second round picks. Even guys they could take in the third round in Blake Fisher or Frank Crum. There are also guys who have the prerequisite athleticism but simply need to add strength.

My vote is for OT or WR.
Those needs are so glaring, to me it is too soon to think BPA.

You can still get good CB/FS/DT/Edge depth a little later.
The Pats defense is not the problem; the offense was/is still awful, until proven otherwise.
Give the new QB some help.
I love Mitchell, but give me an OT.

There's still tackles on the board, Patrick Paul or Kingsley Suamataia are worthy of second round picks. Even guys they could take in the third round in Blake Fisher or Frank Crum. There are also guys who have the prerequisite athleticism but simply need to add strength.
Trade up using your third to mid 2nd round if yiu want to take a OT . It should not cost us anything more than a 4th rounder . I honestly think we have too many developmental OTs . So considering this year to be a bridge year, we can play and see if we are able to unearth a diamond from the rough like onwenu . Take the WR with 34. Unless someone gives you a second this year and second next year for trading down from early 30s to mid 40s.

I voted other.

JPJ would be a great pick, and yes we have Andrews but he is nearing the end.

WR is deep and we could wait and still get a good one.

A trade down to maybe mid-2nd for extra assets should be considered as well.

Last edited:
They did. Onwenu.

There really wren’t many out there. Who would you have liked?

And Okorafor has been a starting tackle in the NFL for three years. Pittsburgh dumped him the same way we dumped Jack Jones.

They did. Onwenu.

And Okorafor has been a starting tackle in the NFL for three years. Pittsburgh dumped him the same way we dumped Jack Jones.
I think they should have been all in on a Smith rental for a year or two.

Okorafor could be fine. He could be terrible. Anderson could come back from his illness. He may not. I would have preferred they took it a little more seriously even if it meant overpaying until they get their LT in the draft.

Trade up using your third to mid 2nd round if yiu want to take a OT . It should not cost us anything more than a 4th rounder . I honestly think we have too many developmental OTs . So considering this year to be a bridge year, we can play and see if we are able to unearth a diamond from the rough like onwenu . Take the WR with 34. Unless someone gives you a second this year and second next year for trading down from early 30s to mid 40s.
They could trade up to take a WR also... I don't get this "it's a developmental year" take... it doesn't have to be.

Play to win, that starts with big strong guys in the trenches and I have a first round grade on OT Patrick Paul.

There's a lot of talent sitting there, so I'm with Ivan in thinking they might trade back.

If they don't, it becomes a true insider-knowledge pick.

Is Jake Andrews the next center? If not, Jackson Powers-Johnson is really a true blue chip IOL.

Are they trading for Aiyuk or Higgins or Brown? if not, Mitchell or McConkey make sense, or whichever of the WRs left they think could become their BEST WR in short order. They don't need another Bourne or KJ or JJ or Pop. I really think the way it's playing out with Maye (sitting) and the top WRs off the board, I might look to make the trade or a big FA splash at WR later on.

If none of the above, State's got it, I think: Patrick Paul.

I like matching Walker with Maye.
Trade down to the middle of the second for a third and 5th and take walker.

They could trade up to take a WR also... I don't get this "it's a developmental year" take... it doesn't have to be.

Play to win, that starts with big strong guys in the trenches and I have a first round grade on OT Patrick Paul.
There is a huge drop-off after mitchell and mcconkey and they will not last till 40. But the tackles could be there till 50.

They did. Onwenu.

Jack Jones is a head case and the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Okorafor being a starter is also not a qualification, he wasn't good and there's lot of bad starters in the NFL.

If they can take a blue chip OT now they should, trade back up if they want to target a specific WR after.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back