PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What position should the Pats take with their next [Day 2, #34] pick?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What position should the Pats take with their next pick (now 34)?

• WR

Votes: 56 48.3%
  • OT

Votes: 38 32.8%
  • DB

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Javon Baker or Keion Coleman or trade the pick.
I wanted Worthy for that Tyreek Hill speedster sick for Chiefs got him.

We know why Coleman fell(poor 40) yet he had the fastest gauntlet time.

AD apparently fell because he's diabetic.

I would take Ladd because he can run all the routes.

This is another good option at 34.
Since my guy Xavier Leggett was taken at the end of round one, Patrick Paul LT is the next best thing. At a position of need. I think his nfl future is brighter than Tyler Guyton’s, taken 28 by the ‘Boys.

There’s a nasty edge to Paul.

7 WR already taken. Is this draft really that deep? Most years you don't see 7 impactful rookie WRs.

This is where I’m at as well. OT and WR top tiers have been cleaned out, and you don’t become the best team in the league by drafting lesser players to fill needs when there are top tier players on the board. That’s how you miss out on players like Ed Reed and many others. They filled their most important position last night, and they are in a great position at 34 with the remaining prospects on the board. I think they are going to be inundated with trade offers today, and they will probably take the best one. I would take Powers/Johnson, but I would be fine with Paul, Mitchell, , or Troy Franklin, McConkey at WR, DeJean at Db Or Newton at DT.. Mitchell, DeJean Newton, and Powers/Johnson are all 1st rounders still available to them. Or they could just go straight up need.

There is first round talent (a lot of it) still available at every defensive position. I'm thinking corner because it seems like an obvious need, but Brandon Fiske is out there too, if you wanted a DT, for example.

Newton is still available as well.

Please just say No to stiff hips DeJean Cooper he’s not and slow non-separator N’Keon Coleman.

1st choice: McConkey. 2nd: Mitchell. 3rd: OT - Paul/Guyten. Wouldn't be upset with DeJean though. He and Gonzalez would have the makeup of a really good defensive backfield. If they don't go WR in 2nd I hope the target Maye's teammate at UNC Devontez Walker in 3rd.

and they have a backup C in Jake Andrews, too.
And I don’t recall a Pats center being selected before the 5th round in the past 30 or so years. Probably not the time to use a second rounder on one when our receiving corps may not be as good as Alabama’s…

Last edited:
7 WR already taken. Is this draft really that deep? Most years you don't see 7 impactful rookie WRs.
Offensive linemen, probably because they are simply in terms of size way over at the thin end of the bell curve, are just more rare than WR's. Besides, plenty of OL have already been taken as well, I would think perhaps a higher percentage than similarly-valued O-linemen given their rarity. I also think that though quarterbacks may face disappointment and frustration with a sub-par WR room, they're not going to get beat half to death as they can with a weak OL room. I certainly agree we need both, but we need the OL first, and they are harder to find, so grab one while you can.

Despite the obvious slot receiver stereotype I truly feel McConkey can win on the outside due to his athleticism and absolutely absurd route running ability. He’s the pick for me.
Agreed. But can't go wrong with Coleman or AD either IMO.

Brandon Aiyuk! But seriously, what's with SF picking Pearsall with 31? I like him, but that's a bit of a reach. Are they tipping their hand that a trade is coming?

Spectacular agility (3.97 20shut, 6.72 3cone) which shows in the route running (or so people say I haven't watched besides highlights and the Georgia Champ game where he had 2TDs). Solid speed. I worry a lot about injuries for him with his history, which has been a curse for the Pats and WRs in the top 4 rounds. Former QB (and RB, DB, Punter, and Returner). Seems like an extremely likable guy that would immediately hit it off with his teammates. Edit: Supposedly reached 21.4mph on a 70yd rushing TD in '22.

McConkey and Maye and call it a day.
This is the way.

Unsurprisingly, the run on offensive players means that the best available players is dominated by defensive players. The highest-ranked OL remaining is 23rd on the list. There are three WRs (Mitchell, McConkey, Coleman) in the top 10, and the #1 overall is Cooper DeJean.

Feel free to debate specific players, but I'm curious: what position do you want to see drafted with their next pick?
A. ESPNs BPA lists are always terrible. B. They should pick Kingsley Suamataia.

And I don’t recall a Pats center being selected before the 5th round in the past 30 or so years. Probably not the time to use a second rounder on one when our receiving corps may not be as good as Alabamas…
Dave Wohlabaugh, fourth round, out of Syracuse, by Bill Parcells in ‘95 or so. Btw, Wohlabaugh Jr transferred this year to his dad’s Alma mater. Bigger. RT.

but we need the OL first, and they are harder to find, so grab one while you can.
Absolutely.

LT Patrick Paul at 34.
WR Ja’Lynn Polk at 68.

Last edited:
My vote is for OT or WR.
Those needs are so glaring, to me it is too soon to think BPA.

You can still get good CB/FS/DT/Edge depth a little later.
The Pats defense is not the problem; the offense was/is still awful, until proven otherwise.
Give the new QB some help.
Mayo and wolf mentioned last night about weaponize the offense. Today needs to be about the LT& WR. To your point this defense reminds me of the early 2000s defense where guy's are disrespected. I think the maye pick was pretty obvious. We've solved IMO 90% of the problem the last few seasons by getting a QB. Now protect him and allow him to have weapons to help him.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back