PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What might have been: Richard Sherman and Marshawn Lynch as Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Pats had acquired Lynch AND Sherman, your reaction would be closest to:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it really depends what they had to give up. I believe the article mentioned that it'd take 2 first round picks from bad teams for the Hawks to have let Sherman go. The idea, though, is incredibly fun to imagine. I think, mentally, a lot of teams would already have been beaten before the game started if they had to face the Pats with those two stars also in the lineup.

To me, the Sherman-Lynch duo is a "all that glitters is not gold" proposition. Lynch is a former star player who is probably no longer elite, if even average, whose name is a bigger asset to your organization than his on-field production. Sherman is a great player, but he's 29 years old and is a huge head case. I like the idea of the Patriots spending $12M on a bunch of a younger, high upside assets, which they did. Also, I think the Patriots will have the best secondary in the NFL without Sherman. Their CBs are as good as anyone (Denver is the only team that may better with Talib-Harris-Roby), and when you add McCourty AND Harmon in certain packages, they become a dominating unit. I would personally rather have both McCourty and Harmon than any pair of free safeties, including Earl Thomas and his sidekick. I don't know how much better they'd be, even if Sherman played at an elite level.

I would happily take Sherman, but Lynch is not a fit here financially or with his devil may care attitude. Taking it one step further, RB was not a position that was much of a need, and Lynch may actually come out rusty after his layoff.

If we were looking to sign a big back, I'd much rather have just kept Blount for cheaper money.

While it's fun to imagine Sherman here, having Butler and an additional 1st round pick isn't so bad either.

But if it didn't cost Butler, then ya, that would be insanely fun to imagine a secondary of Sherman, Gillmore, and Butler.

I would happily take Sherman, but Lynch is not a fit here financially or with his devil may care attitude. Taking it one step further, RB was not a position that was much of a need, and Lynch may actually come out rusty after his layoff.

If we were looking to sign a big back, I'd much rather have just kept Blount for cheaper money.
Lynch would come off to me as the classic BB one year player rental. Revis, Bennett, Browner, even way back with Bryan Cox.

Very out there guys that Bill will bring in for that one year and play a big role in getting that championship. But don't stay for long as their personality either leads to BB letting them leave or themselves simply choosing to leave.

Either way, he wouldn't be a guy that would last here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back