PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is your take on Malcolm Butler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farn

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
He played well at times last season and obviously came up huge in the SB (not only on that final play).

But while I'm a fan of many years and try to stay on top of things, I have no idea what Butler is going to be going forward. What do you think Butler becomes ? Does he continue ascending or what that SB a career peak moment that he will struggle to attain again ?

I really have no idea and was wondering what the prevailing opinion out there was re Butler's outlook.

I think he is a solid #3 and certainly could be a #2 for us. I think he challenges Arrington for his spot this year.

I think he is a solid #3 and certainly could be a #2 for us. I think he challenges Arrington for his spot this year.

You envision Butler competing for the slot position vs. Arrington, or more on the outside?

You envision Butler competing for the slot position vs. Arrington, or more on the outside?
That depends on what they do to address the outside corners going forward. I certainly believe Butler is better outside than Arrington, from the limited snaps i saw last year. He is just as good in the slot as well.

Have no personal insight into DB play. But from what I have seen in his limited time. He seems good to me. time and training will tell the story. Whether he is a 1,2,3 slot or any other spot will be up to him. Football is about effort and heart more than 40 times and bench presses.

My expectation is he is such a transcendent talent that the NFL starts a Best Cornerback award and names it after him. Our grandchildren will sing folk songs about him.

Any less than that is failure in my book.

If I can get to it, I'll try to upload his coverage snaps vs. Emmanuel Sanders vs. Denver. Impressive for the most part. He also stopped Jeffery/Marshall on 3 straight plays vs. Bears in garbage time. His only poor showing was vs. Wallace in the second dolphins game.

When Revis was taken out of the AFCCG for a series or two, Butler replaced him on Moncrief and Luck didn't target him once.

Overall, he showed some good things his rookie year (not just from the SB) that suggest he could wind up as a solid starting complete CB (man, zone, can tackle).

I think he's good, works his butt off and has that "it" factor. I don't see him as a #1 corner, but certainly as a #1 SLOT in the near future...

he has potential to be a 5 INT a year starting CB but the pats CB's have been so up and down from year to year that I really don't Know but my hope Is that he becomes a big part of the team for years to come

I see Butler having the opportunity in training camp to lock down one of the starting outside CB slots for the Patriots. He made a number of really superb coverage plays as a rookie making a big step up from Div II college ball.

No clue, but according to some people on this forum, he's the next Revis because he got an interception.

Undrafted or under-drafted, relatively unknown before his first Super Bowl win then goes on to win multiple championships and becomes the greatest at his position. Sounds eerily familiar...LOL... JK...
Not JK?

coach likes him

He's a tall, quick corner that has a tendency to stay in great position in man coverage. Apparently, he studying film too.

The whole reason he was in the position to succeed in the SB, was because he stepped in multiple times during the season for Ryan, Dennard or Arrington when they failed. He is a better outside CB than all of these, and IMO, has a ceiling of a real #1.

I hope that NE isn't forced to put him in bad spots due to lack of personnel. I know Hobbs got some grief - but I always thought a big part of it was that he was being asked to do more than he should have been due to lack of better options. That is also how I feel about Arrington at times this year (including Matthews, SB).

I would love to see him become a dependable regular, but I just wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes