PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is your take on Malcolm Butler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During that 4th Qtr when the lights were brightest and the pressure was most intense, he didn't wilt. He made 4 plays that were outstanding when it mattered.

I don't know if he has the physical skills (ran a 4.4 during a pro day?) ball skills, fluid hips, technique, or foot skills to play CB at a ProBowl level but I do believe he will bust his but trying.

Worst case hes the 3rd DB.

During that 4th Qtr when the lights were brightest and the pressure was most intense, he didn't wilt. He made 4 plays that were outstanding when it mattered.

I don't know if he has the physical skills (ran a 4.4 during a pro day?) ball skills, fluid hips, technique, or foot skills to play CB at a ProBowl level but I do believe he will bust his but trying.

Worst case hes the 3rd DB.

Dennard + Butler as our starters?

and I'm hoping for Jalen Collins or Byron Jones in the draft... Need to stock up on DBs...

40 times

Butler - 4.62
Arrington - 4.44
Dennard - 4.55
Revis - 4.38
Talib - 4.44
Samuel - 4.49

Butler is a 4th corner...but good guy and good playmaker.

Although on Pats pro day he ran a 4.44

He seems like a potential all-pro slot corner.

Dennard + Butler as our starters?
and I'm hoping for Jalen Collins or Byron Jones in the draft... Need to stock up on DBs...

Seeing that they have two 3rd rounders and two 4ths, they have the capital to move up or grab them if they slip.

They already have a ton of youth and good players. They need rock star talent.

Not sure what Dennard's future is with this team...

40 times

Butler - 4.62
Arrington - 4.44
Dennard - 4.55
Revis - 4.38
Talib - 4.44
Samuel - 4.49

People say Revis lost a step. I didn't see it.

Butler had a bad combine run but he is much faster than that 4.62 says. On a different day he would have a sub 4.5.

I honestly think he is the real deal. Just looks like a natural out there and if I had to guess he would probably not look out of place as the #2 CB next year. I think unlike other CBs he will make the year 2 jump.

I don't feel comfortable making predictions, but Butler impressed some important people from the start of training camp. The Super Bowl was the climax of an overachieving rookie season. I am optimistic that he becomes a starter, whether 1, 2, or slot.

Nobody knows. It looks like he's got some talent but what he ends up being is anyone's guess.
I will love him forever, even if he were to never take another snap for us!

I heard that when butler showed up for his tryout with the pats, he was raw, very very raw.

Pats coaches had to train him from scratch on everything, how to lineup, how to turn and run, how to read a play, presnap adjustnents. Everything.

( and I can not imagine the coaches at west Alabama were nfl calibre so to speak, so it is no wonder butler was clueless)

But butler worked his tail off to learn everything the coaches taught. He soaked up everything he could from the coaches and players,

And as the season progressed, he used his 15 snaps a game to show the coaching staff that he could put everything they taught into practice.

My question is, does butler take a year two leap or fall back ala dennard.

If he takes the year two leap, so much the better for us.

Undrafted or under-drafted, relatively unknown before his first Super Bowl win then goes on to win multiple championships and becomes the greatest at his position. Sounds eerily familiar...LOL... JK...
Not JK?

I was going to post the same thing. Many people thought Brady was a fluke at first too.

Good players have a funny way of making their own "luck".

What intrigues me is what did they see in this unknown kid from a no name school that made them bring him to camp? Why him?

Whatever it is was, it sure paid off!

He stepped in and played some great corner in the SB, without the big play. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

He has the same measurements as Revis(5'11-198lbs) /Butler(5'11-190lbs) with room to fill out. Lofty expectations, but why the hell not? From my point of view, it doesn't really matter anyways. Forever remembered in NE Patriots lore.

I remember BB kept him in the 53 man roster cut because he did very well in pre season games, the feeling was that he would not make through waivers, BB certainly saw something special there.

Solid #2 CB like a Dennard (not in the same mold but overall cb wise) when he was playing well.

solid #2 outside CB in the next couple of years...biggest thing for me is how Brady kept on saying he would make plays in practice all the time. I think in any other year, he might have earned more playing time, even a starting spot by the end of the season.

No clue, but according to some people on this forum, he's the next Revis because he got an interception.

What is this
People were singing his praises all season and it started in training camp don't act like this was a guy who came out of nowhere and is no being praised

40 times

Butler - 4.62
Arrington - 4.44
Dennard - 4.55
Revis - 4.38
Talib - 4.44
Samuel - 4.49

The Pats worked him out. That's an inaccurate or injured time. He had one shot at a pro day of another school he had to talk his way into, so who knows what injury he might have played through

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes