PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is your favorite Tom Brady play? Here’s a big list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just throwing out some of them that come to mind. I’m going to limit to the postseason else it’s really endless with the amount of game winning passes when facing certain elimination.

The dynasty that was born that night (but not that one, the other one)
  • The first mention here is admittedly not a single play but more to set the table of what’s to come. It’s a sequence to end SB36 with Madden’s infamous second guessing. First play, Brady is nearly stripped but eludes the rush and throws underneath completion; Ray Lewis later comments about the hidden brilliance of this play. Then the final three plays of the drive: A 23 yard pass to Troy Brown, a 6 yard pass to Jermaine Wiggins, and perhaps the best, the clock stopping spike, whereby he one hand palms the bounced ball like he’s in his living room with absolute serenity...at that moment we realize there’s something abnormal about the way this Brady kid approaches pressure. The game slows down for him while it speeds up for everyone else. It seems like a cool anecdote, until it starts to reveal itself as an actual permanent trait of Brady bordering on supernatural.

The heroics roll in from 2002-2013
  • 17-yard pass to Deion Branch in the waning seconds to setup game winning field goal in SB38. That was an absolute laser and Branch was covered well.
  • 60-yard TD deep middle pass to Branch, just beating the deep safety, to set the tone in the 2004/05 AFCCG at 16-1 Pittsburgh. Brady had the flu and a 102 fever.
  • With 2:42 remaining facing 3rd and 10 and trailing the 14-2 Chargers in the 2006/07 AFCDG, Brady drops a dime to Bug Eye Caldwell for a 59 yard gain setting up game winning kick. Chargers meltdown and cry in defeat. Unfortunately the next week Bug Eye destroys the feel good memories of that amazing clutch pass.
  • I personally think the “statue of liberty” fake against Jacksonville in the 2007/08 AFCDG is bit overrated, but it’s a signature play.
  • In a brutally physical AFCCG in 2011/12 vs. Baltimore, Brady leaps into endzone for go-ahead score in fourth quarter. He gets demolished by Ray Lewis (but surprisingly not actually killed.). He gets up, spikes the ball, and inevitability sets in at Gillette.
  • Trailing Baltimore in the 2014/15 AFCCG 31-28 late in the fourth, Brady drops a perfect dime to Brandon LaFell for a 23-yard TD and ultimate 14 point comeback win.

Super Bowl 49
  • A play that may define the era is Brady’s perfect sideline endzone lob to Gronkowski, who beats KJ Wright down the sideline for a 22 yard score 30 seconds before halftime. The play highlights the greatest QB-TE duo in history in perhaps the greatest SB in history, and it highlights Brady’s masterful recognition of a mismatch in man coverage. Unfortunately, the defense absolutely melts down and gives the Seahawks 7 back in a series of WTF breakdowns.
  • In maybe the gutsiest “this man’s spirit cannot be broken” pass of his career, Brady trails Seattle 24-14 in the fourth quarter of SB49, and faces 3rd and 14 against the best defense and secondary of his era. Steps up and lasers an absurdly accurate throw to Julian Edelman for a 21 yard first down, spurring the comeback. This was just after Richard Sherman said of Brady “his heart is dead”, as the Seahawks thought they had psychologically defeated Brady (as they did the year before with a certain uncourageous, large foreheaded stat hog.)
  • The TD pass to Amendola to cut the lead to 24-21 was a ballsy pass against Earl Thomas. Brady has commented about how risky it was, and Thomas hesitated slightly.
  • The game winning TD pass to Edelman was awesome in that they came back to a play they’d just installed the night before and had just missed it the series before that. The legendary moment is Brady motioning to his sideline with a victory fist pump. Of course, the drama that ensued with the Butler INT somewhat overshadowed that moment.

Super Bowl 51
  • During the epic 28-3 SB51 comeback, Brady faces 3rd and 10 at his own 9 and a relentless pass rush. Completes magical 16-yard first down to Hogan, who hadn’t even broken on his route when the ball was released and pinpointed between two defenders.
  • And here’s where the Squirrel Catch fits into the timeline, but in reality it was a poor pass/decision though it may be his most famous completion (!). The sideline lob to Amendola in OT was epic, as was the OT rocket over the middle to a blanketed Edelman.
  • One last note on SB51. The PI pass to Bennett would have been the signature play of Brady’s career had Bennett not been severely interfered with. The broadcasters got it wrong calling it an “underthrow.” Actually it was perfectly designed for Bennett to use his size to whip back around and pull it in. Perfect placement right into his chest, and he was waiting for it.

Just garden variety superhuman stuff from 2017-present
  • In essentially a do-or-die drive, Brady completes an amazing low laser 21 yard pass on 3rd and 18 to Danny Amendola to setup another fourth quarter comeback win against Jacksonville in the 2017/18 AFCCG.
  • He then completes a beautiful high back endzone TD to Amendola for a game winning four yard TD pass.
  • We’re sticking with single plays and not drives, but the three consecutive third-and-long completions (Edelman, Edelman, Gronkowski) in overtime at Arrowhead in the 2018-19 AFCCG are all incredible in themselves. The sequence of all three almost seems like one otherworldly clutch pass.
  • In a defensive showdown, Super Bowl 53 is essentially won on a beautiful 29 yard pass from Brady to Rob Gronkowski up the seam, setting up a TD on the next play. Gronk’s last catch.

Honorable Mentions (in losses)
  • These will not be held is such high esteem since they were losses, but the SB42 last second pass to Moss was a marvel of nature, in that man who was virtually destroyed could still step into a monster hit and throw the ball about 70 yards in the air and put it in catchable position. There may not be a play that better illustrates TB12’s toughness and clutchness. Giants players themselves have marveled about that pass, even though it fell incomplete.
  • Also, the two incredible do-or-die passes to Gronkowski at Denver in the 2015/16 AFCCG reminded me of a David Blaine illusion, not actually believing what you just saw.
  • Pretty much any postseason TD pass against the Steelers has a case of my favorite. ****y SOBs.
  • And finally, Tom would say his favorite play is THE NEXT ONE! Long live TB12, King of the North, Ruler of the 32 Kingdoms.

Last edited:
Hell of an OP Icy. Thanks

So many to choose from. If I had to choose 1 it was the first game vs the Jets in 07. Moss blows past Revis at the line and then beats 3 defenders while Brady delivers 60 yards though the air for a TD. So many, but to me that day was the beginning of Super Stardom for Brady which silenced most critics that he was some kind of system qb. Other greats had great wrs and he proved if you gave him a weapon he could do that too. The rest is history after that. Goat no doubt.

The 3 3rd and longs against the headband were pretty epic. I'll go with the entire last quarter and a half of SB 51!

You forgot the walkoff OT bomb to Troy Brown in Miami in 2003.

That one came to mind as one of my very first choices, but it was regular season so I left it off. That and the last second TD to Thompkins to beat the Saints in 2013 were epic. Return game vs. Buffalo in 09 pretty awesome too.

2009 week 1 trailing 24-19 about 1 min in the clock. Ben Watson up the seam Brady throws it outside of him to split two defends go ahead score, comeback is complete the rest of the NFL look on in horror in the realisation after a year out it took only 3 quarters blow off the rust. Tom ****ing Brady is back!

Ugh. This could’ve been what the bomb at the end of SB42 to Moss looked like. Wasn’t it similar, down the left sideline? I’ve only seen it once or twice. Yikes.

2015/16 AFCCG vs Denver

After getting suffocated all game, Brady drops a 40 yard dime to Gronk in double coverage on 4th and 10 to stay alive.

My favorite play was against Chicago where Brady pulled the ball down and took off, and juked Brian Urlacher out of his shoes.

There are just so many plays and games. It would take a week to sift through the memories.

For me, his greatest triumph was the game in which did not result in a championship season but represents how much of a bad man he is.

2006 AFC Div @ visiting a 14-2 Chargers team. This might have been the largest gap in terms of sheer talent in the BB era. Tom did not have a great game. He would admit that. That Chargers pass rush was absurd. They had no business winning that game IMO.

But....by way of poor Marty playcalling and lack of situational awareness by Drayton Florence, the Pats had life. Tom made the plays when they needed to be made and the rest is history.

For me, nothing comes close to LI. Now, that second half was like a full team mind meld but the throws he made on the drive to tie the game then in over time. I remember thinking after the over time coin toss, Atlanta is smoked. McCourty had the weirdest look on his face when we won the toss. It was a look like y’all are through

Just throwing out some of them that come to mind. I’m going to limit to the postseason else it’s really endless with the amount of game winning passes when facing certain elimination.

The dynasty that was born that night (but not that one, the other one)
  • The first mention here is admittedly not a single play but more to set the table of what’s to come. It’s a sequence to end SB36 with Madden’s infamous second guessing. First play, Brady is nearly stripped but eludes the rush and throws underneath completion; Ray Lewis later comments about the hidden brilliance of this play. Then the final three plays of the drive: A 23 yard pass to Troy Brown, a 6 yard pass to Jermaine Wiggins, and perhaps the best, the clock stopping spike, whereby he one hand palms the bounced ball like he’s in his living room with absolute serenity...at that moment we realize there’s something abnormal about the way this Brady kid approaches pressure. The game slows down for him while it speeds up for everyone else. It seems like a cool anecdote, until it starts to reveal itself as an actual permanent trait of Brady bordering on supernatural.

The heroics roll in from 2002-2013
  • 17-yard pass to Deion Branch in the waning seconds to setup game winning field goal in SB38. That was an absolute laser and Branch was covered well.
  • 60-yard TD deep middle pass to Branch, just beating the deep safety, to set the tone in the 2004/05 AFCCG at 16-1 Pittsburgh. Brady had the flu and a 102 fever.
  • With 2:42 remaining facing 3rd and 10 and trailing the 14-2 Chargers in the 2006/07 AFCDG, Brady drops a dime to Bug Eye Caldwell for a 59 yard gain setting up game winning kick. Chargers meltdown and cry in defeat. Unfortunately the next week Bug Eye destroys the feel good memories of that amazing clutch pass.
  • I personally think the “statue of liberty” fake against Jacksonville in the 2007/08 AFCDG is bit overrated, but it’s a signature play.
  • In a brutally physical AFCCG in 2011/12 vs. Baltimore, Brady leaps into endzone for go-ahead score in fourth quarter. He gets demolished by Ray Lewis (but surprisingly not actually killed.). He gets up, spikes the ball, and inevitability sets in at Gillette.
  • Trailing Baltimore in the 2014/15 AFCCG 31-28 late in the fourth, Brady drops a perfect dime to Brandon LaFell for a 23-yard TD and ultimate 14 point comeback win.

Super Bowl 49
  • A play that may define the era is Brady’s perfect sideline endzone lob to Gronkowski, who beats KJ Wright down the sideline for a 22 yard score 30 seconds before halftime. The play highlights the greatest QB-TE duo in history in perhaps the greatest SB in history, and it highlights Brady’s masterful recognition of a mismatch in man coverage. Unfortunately, the defense absolutely melts down and gives the Seahawks 7 back in a series of WTF breakdowns.
  • In maybe the gutsiest “this man cannot die” pass of his career, Brady trails Seattle 24-14 in the fourth quarter of SB49, and faces 3rd and 14 against the best defense and secondary of his era. Steps up and lasers an absurdly accurate throw to Julian Edelman for a 21 yard first down, spurring the comeback. This was just after Richard Sherman said of Brady “his heart is dead”, as the Seahawks thought they had psychologically defeated Brady (as they did the year before with a certain uncourageous, large foreheaded stat hog.)
  • The TD pass to Amendola to cut the lead to 24-21 was a ballsy pass against Earl Thomas. Brady has commented about how risky it was, and Thomas hesitated slightly.
  • The game winning TD pass to Edelman was awesome in that they came back to a play they’d just installed the night before and had just missed it the series before that. The legendary moment is Brady motioning to his sideline with a victory fist pump. Of course, the drama that ensued with the Butler INT somewhat overshadowed that moment.

Super Bowl 51
  • During the epic 28-3 SB51 comeback, Brady faces 3rd and 10 at his own 9 and a relentless pass rush. Completes magical 16-yard first down to Hogan, who hadn’t even broken on his route when the ball was released and pinpointed between two defenders.
  • And here’s where the Squirrel Catch fits into the timeline, but in reality it was a poor pass/decision though it may be his most famous completion (!). The sideline lob to Amendola in OT was epic, as was the OT rocket over the middle to a blanketed Edelman.
  • One last note on SB51. The PI pass to Bennett would have been the signature play of Brady’s career had Bennett not been severely interfered with. The broadcasters got it wrong calling it an “underthrow.” Actually it was perfectly designed for Bennett to use his size to whip back around and pull it in. Perfect placement right into his chest, and he was waiting for it.

Just garden variety superhuman stuff from 2017-present
  • In essentially a do-or-die drive, Brady completes an amazing low laser 21 yard pass on 3rd and 18 to Danny Amendola to setup another fourth quarter comeback win against Jacksonville in the 2017/18 AFCCG.
  • He then completes a beautiful high back endzone TD to Amendola for a game winning four yard TD pass.
  • We’re sticking with single plays and not drives, but the three consecutive third-and-long completions (Edelman, Edelman, Gronkowski) in overtime at Arrowhead in the 2018-19 AFCCG are all incredible in themselves. The sequence of all three almost seems like one otherworldly clutch pass.
  • In a defensive showdown, Super Bowl 53 is essentially won on a beautiful 29 yard pass from Brady to Rob Gronkowski up the seam, setting up a TD on the next play. Gronk’s last catch.

Honorable Mentions (in losses)
  • These will not be held is such high esteem since they were losses, but the SB42 last second pass to Moss was a marvel of nature, in that man who was virtually destroyed could still step into a monster hit and throw the ball about 70 yards in the air and put it in catchable position. There may not be a play that better illustrates TB12’s toughness and clutchness. Giants players themselves have marveled about that pass, even though it fell incomplete.
  • Also, the two incredible do-or-die passes to Gronkowski at Denver in the 2015/16 AFCCG appeared to be out of a David Blaine stunt.
  • Pretty much any postseason TD pass against the Steelers has a case of my favorite. ****y SOBs.
  • And finally, Tom would say his favorite play is THE NEXT ONE! Long live TB12, King of the North, Ruler of the 32 Kingdoms.

Good list. The one to Gronk in Denver stands out to me even in a losing effort but the perfect accurate pass to Thompkins in the Saints comeback was unbelievable too.

The Denver one stands out because I was so convinced the Patriots were dead and could do nothing, and when it happened I thought, "Brady is even more unbelievable than I thought. Which is impossible."

Individually off the top of my head there are two TD throws that stand out to me: the TD-breaking throw to Moss right after the incompletion, and the game-winning throw to Thompkins in 2013. Probably my two favorite single plays from Brady

Wow awesome recap OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye