PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is up with Tony Garcia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Family

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Has anyone heard was exactly this injury is?

He attended practice August 7th, missed August 8th for an unknown reason, showed up August 9th where Jeff Howe reported:

"Tony Garcia was present after missing yesterday’s practice, but he left the field midway through and didn’t return. Keep in mind, this was a walkthrough, so whatever Garcia is dealing with, it’s clearly troubling him in a low-stress environment."​

Earlier Bedard reported that Garcia appeared to need bulking up to be ready to play tackle in the NFL. This was our top pick, even if he was a third rounder and we've heard less about him than pretty much anyone.

Is he a possible IR?

I am a bit worried too. I was expecting him to play some significant snaps for his development this year, if he goes to IR that's terrible news from both developmental and depth standpoints.

One mystery game IR?

Have all 4 draft picks had some sort of injury in camp?

Being that he was our 2nd pick in the draft, I'm surprised his situation hasn't been reported on. Nothing/nada. Basic stuff like is he in Foxboro working with the trainers? Did he decide he doesn't want to play football anymore? Is he somewhere getting a second opinion on an injury? Seems to me, we get fed a lot of sweet smelling powder puff stories feom the local media. Not stories that might require asking the Patriots org. uncomforable questions.
So since there's nothing out there. I'm going to throw this up against the wall and see what sticks.
I believe BB failed him on a physical. And sent him packing until he could meet his weight. Strangely making weight sounds like dropping pounds. However, there has been a report that he was visibly under sized at the first day of camp, and not able to play the position.
Maybe, he's just home eating extra servings of mashed potatoes and gravy and he can get back to camp soon.

At this point it seems is that classic red shirt year when the player doesn't even sniff the field. I never liked that approach because other than 1st round picks the other round picks you basically takes 3 years out of production from the player. Ok that is maybe better 3 years than would be 4 in other programs that rush the unprepared rookie to the field. But recently we've seen rookies contributing even in their 1st year like Valentine, Mason, Thuney, Mitchel.

I would use it as a player having a physical issue that holds him out of practice.
Sounds like it could have been something neurological as well. Especially if he was having trouble watching a walk-thru. Could have been light sensitivity or a migraine.

Being that he was our 2nd pick in the draft, I'm surprised his situation hasn't been reported on. Nothing/nada. Basic stuff like is he in Foxboro working with the trainers? Did he decide he doesn't want to play football anymore? Is he somewhere getting a second opinion on an injury? Seems to me, we get fed a lot of sweet smelling powder puff stories feom the local media. Not stories that might require asking the Patriots org. uncomforable questions.
So since there's nothing out there. I'm going to throw this up against the wall and see what sticks.
I believe BB failed him on a physical. And sent him packing until he could meet his weight. Strangely making weight sounds like dropping pounds. However, there has been a report that he was visibly under sized at the first day of camp, and not able to play the position.
Maybe, he's just home eating extra servings of mashed potatoes and gravy and he can get back to camp soon.
The Patriots didn't pull him off the field mid-walkthrough for being underweight. He's almost definitely dealing with some kind of injury, and it's a little concerning since the walkthroughs are at such a relaxed pace and he couldn't even do that.

Sounds like it could have been something neurological as well. Especially if he was having trouble watching a walk-thru. Could have been light sensitivity or a migraine.

Fine then, sounds logical enough. Just saying, if that was the case hed be in Foxboro/Boston getting checked out. And why questions from the media (which there had to be) about his health have not been publicised. Really has anybody seen this guy? Any how, it seems he took a step off the practice field and the next step into the witness protection program.

I'm not saying they will IR Garcia, but this might be an example of what people refer to as The Foxboro Flu." I'm not saying Garcia is not hurt. He obviously is, but the team would IR Garcia quicker than a contributing player.

I understand why the Patriots are within their rights to IR him, even if this is only a six week injury. Unlike a veteran in six weeks this player's season should be over anyway. He won't be ready to play. It's probably better that he starts over, though I understand the "no IR rookie ever came back to play well" argument.

I hope he's ok and becomes a solid contributor.

Fine then, sounds logical enough. Just saying, if that was the case hed be in Foxboro/Boston getting checked out. And why questions from the media (which there had to be) about his health have not been publicised. Really has anybody seen this guy? Any how, it seems he took a step off the practice field and the next step into the witness protection program.

I'm sure Belichick will give us a full and thorough breakdown of his injury and status any time now.

I never would've traded up (even if just 11 spots) for Garcia, who is simply too light
and too weak to play starting-calibre LT in the NFL.
Bill should've just kept his first-rounder instead of trading it, plus a 3rd-rounder,
for Cooks. He then would've had a choice of either Ryan Ramczyk, Cam Robinson,
or Dion Dawkins.

I never would've traded up (even if just 11 spots) for Garcia, who is simply too light
and too weak to play starting-calibre LT in the NFL.
Bill should've just kept his first-rounder instead of trading it, plus a 3rd-rounder,
for Cooks. He then would've had a choice of either Ryan Ramczyk, Cam Robinson,
or Dion Dawkins.

Cooks >>>>>> any of those guys

I'm sure Belichick will give us a full and thorough breakdown of his injury and status any time now.

If you email him, guarantee he will get right back to you with a complete and detailed explanation..

The Patriots didn't pull him off the field mid-walkthrough for being underweight. He's almost definitely dealing with some kind of injury, and it's a little concerning since the walkthroughs are at such a relaxed pace and he couldn't even do that.

He would not play on Thursday (not practicing all week & more) so no need for him at walkthrough Id guess..
__

@captain stone
He was winning lots of 1v1 when he was practicing so not being ready to play NFL would seem premature..

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Garcia is indeed injured like some here assume, please post the link saying so.
It's great being a Pats fan. But it's not the real world to more than 1/2 the nfl teams. Just saying, most teams (sub 8-8) who had a high draft pick like Garcia (take a powder) as my folks would say. That team would be adversely affected. So much so, that a beat writer might have the inclination to ask "What's up?" Apparently those enquiring minds in Foxboro all got the memo on what can be asked,and what can't, at a press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back