PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is up with Tony Garcia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never would've traded up (even if just 11 spots) for Garcia, who is simply too light
and too weak to play starting-calibre LT in the NFL.
Bill should've just kept his first-rounder instead of trading it, plus a 3rd-rounder,
for Cooks. He then would've had a choice of either Ryan Ramczyk, Cam Robinson,
or Dion Dawkins.

I and many others didn't have a 1st rd grade on any OT this year for good reason.

Cam looks absolutely lost out there.

Ramczyk has been dealing with injuries and is getting thrown into the fire bc of lack of depth on that line.

Dawkins is a work in progress who's had some good & bad.

Again in my eyes lots of guys that will need time.

Also Pats fans simply have to understand playing for the Pats and 31 other teams couldn't be more different.

Lights years apart

Obviously, we don't know the full situation with Garcia so its hard to say if and when he will play. But lets say he's injured for a while. What about the depth at tackle? Any of these new young guys done anything? McDermott, Croston, Jelks, Jason King?

Nobody expected Garcia to be ready to contribute as a rookie prior to the draft. The consensus was that he was project with starting LT potential a few years down the road.

Obviously, we don't know the full situation with Garcia so its hard to say if and when he will play. But lets say he's injured for a while. What about the depth at tackle? Any of these new young guys done anything? McDermott, Croston, Jelks, Jason King?

McDermott was lost at RT vs JAX.

Croston played some LT in 4Q not too bad but it was vs 3rd stringers. In principle undersized for NFL LT, did very well at G. One of the most interesting things will be who they try at LT tonight after Fleming (McDermott, Croston and Rich next options at the moment).

OG King and OT Rich only played few snaps at G. Jelks is on NFI carrying inj from college. Has potential but not this yr.

Here a link to links for more info on those guys: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa

I think the kid has had more than enough time to prove himself. It's clear at this point that he's just a massive bust and the team would be better off cutting bait.

Nobody expected Garcia to be ready to contribute as a rookie prior to the draft. The consensus was that he was project with starting LT potential a few years down the road.

Many posters expected garcia to compete for the Game Day backup OT position.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Garcia is indeed injured like some here assume, please post the link saying so.
From August 9:
Patriots camp observations: Tony Garcia departs walkthrough; Vince Wilfork attends

• Tony Garcia was present after missing yesterday’s practice, but he left the field midway through and didn’t return. Keep in mind, this was a walkthrough, so whatever Garcia is dealing with, it’s clearly troubling him in a low-stress environment.​

From August 24:
With Nate Solder not traveling, Tom Brady's blindside bears watching

Meanwhile, 2017 third-round draft choice Antonio Garcia has been out of practice with an undisclosed injury the past two weeks. He had been working with the third-unit offensive line before the injury and won't play Friday night.​

It's great being a Pats fan. But it's not the real world to more than 1/2 the nfl teams. Just saying, most teams (sub 8-8) who had a high draft pick like Garcia (take a powder) as my folks would say. That team would be adversely affected. So much so, that a beat writer might have the inclination to ask "What's up?" Apparently those inquiring minds in Foxboro all got the memo on what can be asked, and what can't, at a press conference.
Frankly, yes, the beat reporters have received the memo. What would the point be in asking the question? Teams are under no obligation to submit injury reports until the days leading up to a regular season game. Belichick has never talked about injuries; why would he start now? Why would a reporter waste his time?

The response would likely be similar to this one:

Bill Belichick: Patriots file injury reports 'in compliance' with NFL guidelines

"As you know, we file injury reports every week," Belichick said Tuesday. "Not sure when the next one is due, probably some time in September, but we'll have one for you then."

"You know, our medical staff really handles the injury situation with players," Belichick said. "Players don't come to me and I don't treat them for injuries. That's not really my job. That's what we have medical staff for."​

Some enterprising reporter looking for a scoop will find a way to get A Message To Garcia

Nice going PWP with the message to Garcia ,
As for the prior attempt to show a link to an actually injury to Garcia? C'MON MAN!
No need to apologize for the Patriots or anyone really when they've done nothing wrong
A little transparency could do the Patriots brand some good.

As for the prior attempt to show a link to an actually injury to Garcia? C'MON MAN!
???

You asked for a link regarding a Garcia injury. Sorry that I don't have more detailed info; not sure what you are expecting, short of hacking into his medical records.

...contemplating an early retirement to go into coaching (ala Major Applewhite)

I recall many suggesting that they would/should cut ties with Flemming in favor of having both Garcia and McDermott as backups

If he's under weight & not coached up yet. He probably has little value to other teams. So are the powers that be intending to get Garcia on the practice squad? If they can, that could be the correct spot for him.

If he's under weight & not coached up yet. He probably has little value to other teams. So are the powers that be intending to get Garcia on the practice squad? If they can, that could be the correct spot for him.
I would think IR would be much more likely than outright cutting your 3rd round draft pick. Someone would certainly pick him up before he ever made it to the practice squad.

Until we have a better idea as to the severity of his injury, it's difficult to speculate on how much time he'll miss.

Rookie mid-round tackle project not ready to start day 1?

I don't care. I can't stand it.

There are too many teams that are already "on to 2018" for that to happen, I'd think. The Jets would be a perfect example, because they could be looking for a new starting LT for 2018 if Kelvin Beachum has a third straight disappointing season.

Lots of teams (including the patriots) have room at the bottom of the roster for developmental players that they don't expect much of in the current year.

I agree with the speculation. Speculation on more than one level as well. Every team is in the same boat here. One thing that's true is, each teams management and scouting departments are absolutely in love with their own picks. First of all, Garcia was a project that needed the stars to align for him to be able to see the field this year. He needs a year to get his physique right and get a year of Scarnecia under his belt.
I'm not sure the rules regarding an IR'd player practicing with the team for an entire season. And another thing regarding Payriots talent and the starting line up. BB had no second thoughts dealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back