PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the sequence for getting better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halifax_Pats_Fan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Football is a team game, all phases need to perform, I get it.

But are some areas more important than others...I guess what I am doing is throwing out a debate on the current model (and models change from year to year but in my mind they should be able to survive a three year span, like all business models should).

This question has gone on in front offices for as long as there has been an NFL.

The question I have now is what about this team and going forward. I am not a big fan of past successes. Going forward from this week to the next couple of years what is the need and what is the order of this need, keeping in mind we have an obvious cap, cause it is clear after 25% of the season gone, we are in need, big need.

As a fan what part of this team needs helps first.

- Special Teams
- Defense
- Linebackers
- Secondary
- Run Game
- Offensive Line
- QB
- Head Coaching
- Offensive Coaching
- Defensive Coaching
- Conditioning Coaching
- Scouting
- GM

..and any other areas I may have missed.

As in all businesses, some areas are more important than others in order to increase you percentage of success. Sometimes it is an area or a combination of areas.

The fact of the matter is we need to get better as the model that has worked so well the past decade now seems to need to be reviewed, as all business models do. Sometimes there is even some luck involved (see 199th overall).

What areas, as a fan, needs work first. There is a dollar amount to positions around here as we all know.

Does this dollar-amount-to-positions still hold true? Should it? Have our NEP been successful because of it or in spite of it. One thing is for certain in my eyes, we are at a point in the front office where this business model needs some serious review...

Get Caserio & Lombardi to convince Kraft to fire BB the GM.

Unfortunately, the weaknesses of last year didn't get addressed, in fact BB weakened them by trading Mankins (our best Olineman) for a TE who might as well have been deactivated, bcause he had as many catches as the guys who were deactivated. Also by not keeping Kelly, who is a beast in the middle, he hurt the run defense.

I don't know what the answer is, but there are no quick fixes. BB has done well with in season trades, maybe he can come up with an Olineman and Dlineman tha can stabilize the lines.

Unfortunately, the weaknesses of last year didn't get addressed, in fact BB weakened them by trading Mankins (our best Olineman) for a TE who might as well have been deactivated, bcause he had as many catches as the guys who were deactivated. Also by not keeping Kelly, who is a beast in the middle, he hurt the run defense.

I don't know what the answer is, but there are no quick fixes. BB has done well with in season trades, maybe he can come up with an Olineman and Dlineman tha can stabilize the lines.

Agreed that letting Mankins and Kelly go were headscratchers at the time, and are now full blown 20/20 hindsight crises. Fixing both lines will go a long way to fixing everything else. Please start pulling rabbits out of hats ASAP BB!!

I think you start with who is playing well..

Ghostkowski
Slater
Jones
Hightower (I can't believe he didn't blow out his knee last night, that looked awful)
Mayo (until last night)
Edelmen
Gronk (will be fine)

and that is the long list of who is playing well.

I think losing Mankins was bad. I thought that Stork didn't look too bad last night. No bad snaps no false starts in that environment for his first start says something. Solder was once again, awful, they had to move Gronk to his side to help him. I can't figure out why he has been so bad this year, but he has. Fleming got toasted a few times last night too. I can't see a quick fix for the offensive line, unless you trade for a good veteran (or two).

Brady, has been bad, no question about it, he has been inaccurate. Of course, not having a single receiver that can get open aside from Endelmen doesn't help his cause. I saw some strange things last night. On the very second offensive play, Brady drops back and ends up throwing long to a covered Endelmen for an incompletion. First off, their were only three guys out Endelmen, Amendola, and LaFell. Endelmen ran and out and up, Lafell ran a go, but Amendola ran straight to the DB and was blocking him! I have no idea why? I'm guessing that it was supposed to be a swing pass to a RB to the right and the RB forgot, or had to pick up a blitzer. But the issue is that McDaniels is running pass plays that are specifically made for a single receiver and the other guys are either running picks (rubs) or clear outs, or blocking, so if the intended receiver is covered, Brady is screwed!

Brady has been here for 15 years, 2 years (2004-2006) he had a HOF (ish) RB (Dillon) and for 1 year +, he had a legitimate HOF receiver (Moss). Add the year of the Gronk and that is it, for any legitimate weapons given to Brady. Imagine what he could/would do with just a little help. I'm sorry but Steve Young is right, they have not given Brady any help, and now it is really showing!! If I'm Brady, I'm so pissed that they wasted a second round pick on a QB, when a) Mallett was a more than capable back-up still on his rookie contract, and b) they could have used that pick to move up in the first or grab a stud lineman.

What's the fix? Dunno! I guess you can pray that the o-line gels, Browner comes back in All Pro form, and magically Dobson becomes a dependable deep threat. That's some long odds, that any of that comes to pass, let alone all three things. The time to fix this was in the off-season, Center was an obvious need that was ignored until the third day of the draft. WR another obvious need ignored. TE, LOL well he did address that, but by making an already weak line, weaker. Safety another obvious need, ignored.

Get the trenches fixed first, if that is possible.

I agree with the above, get that offensive line fixed and at the very least give 12 time.

I think we are gonna have a good future qb here but we have lots of tread, in my opinion, on the First Balllot Hall of Famer.

Tom still has the fire and still has the talent, he just needs the time, even if the d continues to grow at least we can stay in games with some semblance of an offense.

After that I think we need to address the model and start playing for some skilled positions around here, keeping the offensive line strong and spending some $$$ on some wideouts that once they get the ball in their hands they can do something with it, like Edleman. Edleman is an absolute gem..we gotta keep that kid healthy.

Priority one, protect the franchise...that needs to be a priority of this team, not lip service...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back