PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is going on at the TE position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaaand the excuse-making begins...
N'Keal is playing well post Brady, Byrd is playing well, Sony had a breakout game last week with better blocking than he had the entirety of 2019... you say these players suck... what's your excuse now?

N'Keal is playing well post Brady, Byrd is playing well, Sony had a breakout game last week with better blocking than he had the entirety of 2019... you say these players suck... what's your excuse now?

Come on, man. Come up with a better retort than that.

Harry's an outside WR who's averaged 7.8, 9, 17, and 7 ypc in the 4 games, and only has the number of catches he has because the team's been force feeding him the ball. And Sony had his first 100 yard game in 20 attempts, and then promptly went on the IR list.

The most important aspect to remember as a NE TE is to catch the ball.

Izzo is catching 37% of his attempts.

Izzo is the best that we have for 2020. And, I agree that this situation is indeed a "wow". We drafting 2 TE's. We had LeCosse who the team liked back from 2019.

We still need to sign a WR. I fear that bringing in a TE might not help much. [we also could use an ILB].

Izzo is the best that we have for 2020. And, I agree that this situation is indeed a "wow". We drafting 2 TE's. We had LeCosse who the team liked back from 2019.

We still need to sign a WR. I fear that bringing in a TE might not help much. [we also could use an ILB].
My hope is that Keane is the answer at TE.

Harry has a Allen Robison vibe to him. Byrd reminds me of a Patten/ Amendola type.

Come on, man. Come up with a better retort than that.

Harry's an outside WR who's averaged 7.8, 9, 17, and 7 ypc in the 4 games, and only has the number of catches he has because the team's been force feeding him the ball. And Sony had his first 100 yard game in 20 attempts, and then promptly went on the IR list.
When results aren't actually results... that's the very definition of excuse making. These players are playing well.

The Pat's pass the ball less than just about every team in the league, that's a fact not an excuse. The WR corps are catching a very high rate of targets without the benefit of overly accurate QB play.

Sony did last week exactly what Harris did this week, but what Harris did is unique somehow. Better blocking is the answer to both outcomes, the blocking in 2019 was atrocious.

The negative nancy contingent hate when stats (facts) conflict with their predetermined narratives... so they need excuses.

TE is a hard position to learn in the NFL, that's not just Patriots homers saying that... it is everyone else as well.

When results aren't actually results... that's the very definition of excuse making. These players are playing well.

The Pat's pass the ball less than just about every team in the league, that's a fact not an excuse. The WR corps are catching a very high rate of targets without the benefit of overly accurate QB play.

Sony did last week exactly what Harris did this week, but what Harris did is unique somehow. Better blocking is the answer to both outcomes, the blocking in 2019 was atrocious.

The negative nancy contingent hate when stats (facts) conflict with their predetermined narratives... so they need excuses.

TE is a hard position to learn in the NFL, that's not just Patriots homers saying that... it is everyone else as well.

You state a dubious opinion (These players are playing well) as if it's fact backed by data. it's not. Michel, for example, was playing poorly, and his numbers back that up. He then had a game with a couple of big runs, and is now on the shelf again.

As for Harry, I'll repeat:

Harry's an outside WR who's averaged 7.8, 9, 17, and 7 ypc in the 4 games, and only has the number of catches he has because the team's been force feeding him the ball.

Hopefully I am looking in the correct place (at Pats.com team stats) ......4 games played and only 1 x touchdown from either a WR (Harry) or a TE. I think we knew that this season was going to start off as a running based offence but can I hope that when Cam returns we will see more passing into the end zone ?

You state a dubious opinion (These players are playing well) as if it's fact backed by data. it's not. Michel, for example, was playing poorly, and his numbers back that up. He then had a game with a couple of big runs, and is now on the shelf again.

As for Harry, I'll repeat:

Harry's an outside WR who's averaged 7.8, 9, 17, and 7 ypc in the 4 games, and only has the number of catches he has because the team's been force feeding him the ball.
Currently the Pats rank 26th in passing attempts on the season, there's only 32 teams. The QB play has been inconsistent at best, but hopefully improving.

These WR's are getting open and catching targets at a near 78% clip. Expecting volume stats from the least passing team in the league, who also happens to be the best rushing team in the league is ridiculous.

All told the entire WR corps has 82 targets, that's equal to what Amari Cooper and Cee Dee Lamb have on the season... two players. The Pats barely pass, that's hardly the WR's fault. They're getting open, (getting separation or what we're told they can't do) and catching them.

Player Tgt Rec Ctch%
Julian Edelman 30 18 60.0%
N'Keal Harry 28 18 64.3%
Damiere Byrd 22 14 63.6%
Jakobi Meyers 1 1 100.0%
Gunner Olszewski 1 1 100.0%
WR Totals 82 52 77.6%

Oh yeah, did I mention we're the best rushing team in the league? Sony's 6.7 yards per carry is second best average in the entire NFL. If he's hurt they move on to Harris, that's the plus side of having a stable of great talent at RB.

Facts ^ backed by data.

Last edited:
Is it more complex now than what it was in 2010 ? When Gronk had 42rec, 546yard, 10TD and AH had 46rec, 563yard, 6TD.

Currently the Pats rank 26th in passing attempts on the season, there's only 32 teams. The QB play has been inconsistent at best, but hopefully improving.

These WR's are getting open and catching targets at a near 78% clip. Expecting volume stats from the least passing team in the league, who also happens to be the best rushing team in the league is ridiculous.

All told the entire WR corps has 82 targets, that's equal to what Amari Cooper and Cee Dee Lamb have on the season... two players. The Pats barely pass, that's hardly the WR's fault. They're getting open, (getting separation or what we're told they can't do) and catching them.

Player Tgt Rec Ctch%
Julian Edelman 30 18 60.0%
N'Keal Harry 28 18 64.3%
Damiere Byrd 22 14 63.6%
Jakobi Meyers 1 1 100.0%
Gunner Olszewski 1 1 100.0%
WR Totals 82 52 77.6%

Oh yeah, did I mention we're the best rushing team in the league? Sony's 6.7 yards per carry is second best average in the entire NFL. If he's hurt they move on to Harris, that's the plus side of having a stable of great talent at RB.

Facts ^ backed by data.

Literally nothing there addresses my points. And nothing there is evidence that backs your claims about Harry or Michel, beyond Harry not having a lot of drops. That doesn't mean that he's playing well, nor does it really offer any great evidence that he's doing so, particularly in light of his YPC.

The blackhole at TE was the team’s biggest weakness last season & continues to be the biggest obstacle to contending for a SB.

Reminiscent of the 2011 CB disaster entering 2012 as a weakness, eventually the team has to make a Talib level move. You can’t have your main TE on pace for 12 receptions & run a 4.9 forty while your WRs are a work in progress.

We obviously need to make a trade for a serviceable TE.

Jake Butt is at Denver. Like fourth-string. But he has size and talent.

And we’ve already got Jake Burt on the practice squad.
Imagine how confusing that could be for defenses! Jake B.’s got the ball. Which Jake? Burt or Butt?
Play ‘em both with similar numbers.

There. Not so bad anymore. Not that it’ll be 2010 good.

This is not Izzo's fault. He should not be the #1 passing TE option going into game 5.

Izzo has blocked well. If there were a better receiving TE running the primary routes, Izzo would do fine as a second TE option.

That's what he is..............

Harry is averaging 40 yds a game and has 1 TD on the season. Has the bar really been set this low for a player to be playing well?

Harry’s YPC is an all time embarrassing low, and borderline laughable.

How did he go in the first round over the likes of Terry Mclaurin, Aj Brown, DK Metcalf?

A designed system so complex it renders its TE participants essentially useless

Hmmmmm......

Will Pats TEs figure out the system before their contracts expire?

Harry doesn’t get it
The TEs don’t get it
Hoyer ain’t got it

Any common denominator.....

What's going on? Nothing much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back