PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is going on at the TE position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betterthanmost

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I don't understand it, do we just have horrible Tight Ends or is there a plan I can't see? Asiasi? Keene? Are they just too inexperienced or are they not good enough at this level? I was hoping to see something from a TE by now, any TE. I think they collectively just have one catch in four games right?
What gives?

Last edited:
Not a damn thing that’s what’s goin on there

Bill fixed it.

th_coffee.gif

We can’t draft weapons. Since 09 (Edelman) and 10 (Gronk and Hermadez) we have not drafted one A level player for our offense. It took awhile but it came up to bite us

Asiasi is on the field a lot, just not as a target.
He is? What number does he wear? Serious question on the number. I really don't even know and I don't care to look it up.

Izzo is dropping passes.

Just like last season.

He is? What number does he wear? Serious question on the number. I really don't even know and I don't care to look it up.

86. His blocking has been fine. I would expect him to start contributing in the passing attack after the bye, or even next week if Cam is back. I was at a friend's place for the game and wasn't able to watch too closely, but last week he ran a few good routes and was open but wasn't thrown to.

Why are they throwing to Stone-Hands Izzo? I thought they drafted two TE's that were supposed to be decent at the very least. Izzo isn't the answer.

I don't understand it, do we just have horrible Tight Ends or is there a plan I can't see? Asiasi? Keene? Are they just too inexperienced or are they not good enough at this level? I was hoping to see something from a TE by now, any TE. I think they collectively just have one catch in four games right?
What gives?

I am gonna paste the same tweet I am always pasting when this conversation starts..

Add in the fact that there were no workouts in Spring, no OTAs, no joint practices or preseason games and the odd injuries both of them had to deal with and it is pretty clear to me why they are not being a factor right now. I think the best proxy you have for where the two TEs are is their snap count data which kinda approximates the number of packages they made their way in.

Last edited:
Thank you Luuked. Very useful actually. And overall, I feel like the blocking has been good. We're just not getting the pass catching (yet)

The most important aspect to remember as a NE TE is to catch the ball.

Izzo is catching 37% of his attempts.

Last edited:
I am gonna paste the same tweet I am always pasting when this conversation starts..

Add in the fact that there were no workouts in Spring, no OTAs, no joint practices or preseason games and the odd injuries both of them had to deal with and it is pretty clear to me why they are not being a factor right now. I think the best proxy you have for where the two TEs are is their snap count data which kinda approximates the number of packages they made their way in.

I buy this. It's pretty well known how complicated it is to be a WR in this offense, and I'd assume those responsibilities are just a subset of what TEs need to do in this offense. That being said, Izzo ****ing sucks and we should have at least gotten a vet.

Agreed, I would add TE is notoriously hard for rookies on any team.

They need to be part O-Lineman and part WR, they're learning two positions along with special teams in the Patriots case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News