PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if we *Don't* hire a GM?

My 3-way plan for the draft based upon what Chicago does at 1:

- If Chicago takes Marvin Harrison Jr at 1: NE drafts Caleb Williams or Drake Maye at 3
- If Chicago takes Caleb Williams or Drake Maye at 1: NE drafts Marvin Harrison Jr, calls Chicago and trades for Justin Fields
- If Chicago is seeking to trade out of the 1st overall pick: NE calls them to trade for the pick (send 3 overall and future 1st rounder); Chicago trading out means they don’t want a QB, and the 3rd pick would still allow them to get MHJ; NE drafts Caleb Williams or Drake Maye at 1

In all of the above scenarios, NE additionally trades up from the 2nd round to the mid-1st for a tackle. Paired with a Pittman Jr or Higgins free agency signing, they will have their LT, QB and WR issues solved to various degrees depending on the outcome.

which is in line with how things are run now... so far, no word on the future of Groh though... up in the air at this point

maybe its splitting hairs at the point, but the title General Manager carries a gravitas that Director of Player Personnel doesn't
Not even Belichick had the title of GM. I don't see why that needs to change. Just empower Wolf to have the final word since somebody has to do it. I'm not a fan of Groh.

I found the article, I am 90% sure this was written by ChatGPT

Good call. I'd put it at 100%. I like this doozy, lol.

"As far as his future is oncerned, Belichick is not retiring from the game, he is simply leaving the New England Patriots. It is currently unknown what Belichick will do next in his career but the Kansas City Chiefs could be a great option for him. Considering Patrick Mahomes is poised to become the next Tom Brady, he will need guidance from a coach who knows how to handle a player of his stature. As soon as we know what Bill Belichick is doing next, we will report on it. For now, let the man enjoy the newly found free time he has in his hands."

Now that I know @Real fan 02 uses ChatGPT as his source, I'll be more careful with his posts. Lmao

Can you think of even one reason why Bill voluntarily gave up his guaranteed salary?

Every coach gets paid when they get fired.

Except Bill. He's the one guy who said **** it, no thanks.
I can think of one plausible scenario:

Bill: that's fine, let's just part ways. I would like to ask a favor though.
Krafts: yes Bill what's that?
Bill: can you keep my boys under contract? I'd hate for their entire families to have to relocate.
Jonathan: no problem Bill, just one condition. You can take a 10% haircut or you can suck my ****. It's up to you.

So I ask you, do you think Bill got 100% of his guaranteed salary?

My 3-way plan for the draft based upon what Chicago does at 1:

- If Chicago takes Marvin Harrison Jr at 1: NE drafts Caleb Williams or Drake Maye at 3
- If Chicago takes Caleb Williams or Drake Maye at 1: NE drafts Marvin Harrison Jr, calls Chicago and trades for Justin Fields
- If Chicago is seeking to trade out of the 1st overall pick: NE calls them to trade for the pick (send 3 overall and future 1st rounder); Chicago trading out means they don’t want a QB, and the 3rd pick would still allow them to get MHJ; NE drafts Caleb Williams or Drake Maye at 1

In all of the above scenarios, NE additionally trades up from the 2nd round to the mid-1st for a tackle. Paired with a Pittman Jr or Higgins free agency signing, they will have their LT, QB and WR issues solved to various degrees depending on the outcome.
Trade for fields
Good call. I'd put it at 100%. I like this doozy, lol.

"As far as his future is oncerned, Belichick is not retiring from the game, he is simply leaving the New England Patriots. It is currently unknown what Belichick will do next in his career but the Kansas City Chiefs could be a great option for him. Considering Patrick Mahomes is poised to become the next Tom Brady, he will need guidance from a coach who knows how to handle a player of his stature. As soon as we know what Bill Belichick is doing next, we will report on it. For now, let the man enjoy the newly found free time he has in his hands."

Now that I know @Real fan 02 uses ChatGPT as his source, I'll be more careful with his posts. Lmao
Oh we found out @venecol who the AI poster is.. @Ross12 already found the article. I'd fact check venecol LOL

Not even Belichick had the title of GM. I don't see why that needs to change.
It was an observation that the last real GM New England had was Sam Jankovich... that the team uses a different power structure - that we won't actually be filling the position of General Manager based on past practices - that was the point of the op...

So I ask you, do you think Bill got 100% of his guaranteed salary?
The more i think about it, I'm inclined to believe that there is an offset in the agreement... He gets his 25m (if that indeed was his salary), but Kraft makes up the difference if he gets a new job... so if he gets 15 from Arthur Smith, Kraft forks over 10m

its something that is a common occurrence, something he took advantage of over the years... bringing in coaches on the cheap while other teams are paying the bulk of their salaries...

This year the patriots who needed to build a team drafted a kicker and a punter
Didnt BB cede total control of draft powers to appease little Jerry Jones Kraft.

Nevertheless, the Pats needed a Punter and Folk was losing steam.

It’s all about Wolf and Groh, but I read a story earlier this morning that said that there was a team source saying one or both guys might follow Bill. That sounds weird to me, but I guess it’s possible. Then what?

It’s all about Wolf and Groh, but I read a story earlier this morning that said that there was a team source saying one or both guys might follow Bill. That sounds weird to me, but I guess it’s possible. Then what?
I suspect it's Groh, being the son of a FOB. Good, I think Groh is responsible for Strange, Thornton and Strong. The only word on Wolf is that he was instrumental in the Barmore pick. Wolf is also not a BB guy, having been brought in from the outside.

Someone is the gm. Regardless of the title.
Absolutely!!! As Bill was the GM here.. I'm not buying the BS he didn't want Mac blah, blah, blah.. he had final say on everything with the roster.. so no matter if ownership felt they had to interfere he still was making 25 million.. to make decisions.

Someone is the gm. Regardless of the title.
Absolutely not.

The GM power structure is completely different. A GM is typically empowered to have final say on player personnel , and can fire / replace a HC, with the assent of ownership. A director of player personnel doesn't wield that type of power.

They are two completely different animals.

Thanks .. just threw up my morning coffee at the thought of giving up a two for fields.
Really??.. so you're happy with our CURRENT ROOM? that alone should make you throw up! LOL

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back