PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if we *Don't* hire a GM?

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The last time the New England Patriots had a General Manager was 1991...

Victor Kiam was the owner, and the role and title was filled by Sam Jankovich...

When James Orthwein took over in 1992, the GM position was axed... Sam Jankovich transitioned into a CEO role, and the ownership group ran like a board of directors of a Company... Jankovich lasted for one season in that role before it was eliminated... The role of the General Manager / CEO transitioned from football operations / personnel to a split between the front office and personnel... The breakdown: Chairman of the Board: James Orthwein ; Vice Chairman of the Board: Michael O'Hallaron ; EVP of Football Operations: Patrick Forte ; VP: Bucko Kilroy ; Director of College Scouting – Charley Armey ; Director of Pro Scouting – Bobby Grier

When Robert Kraft bought the team, the new front office was incorporated as such:
President and Chief Executive Officer: Robert Kraft ; VP & Owner's Representative: Jonathan "Stamps" Kraft ; VP of Business Operations: Andy Wasynczuk ; VP of Football Operations: Patrick Forte ; Director of College Scouting: Charley Armey ; Director of Pro Scouting: Bobby Grier ; Scouting Consultant – Bucko Kilroy; The same basic front office structure is in place now... there are a few more people, but generally its run the same...

When Parcells was here, Bobby Grier was really the go to Personnel guy that the team was looking to... and we all know what happened... This team took a beating because of losing Parcells over a draft pick, creating turmoil that followed them all the way to and through the Super Bowl... The Carroll years were run in the same way that the Parcells years were in terms of the front office structure... When BB took over in 2000, the front office changed in that Pioli was installed as the Assistant Director of Player Personnel... While the role functions similarly the the Directors of the early & late 1990's, it avoids the chaos (RKK even kind of references this in his Q&A today) of having multiple voices all talking at once...

Is it crazy to think that the Patriots will not be hiring a General Manager? That they might be looking for the Head Coach to oversee the Personnel department like it has been run for 24 years under Belichick & Co. ?

Ω

The last time the New England Patriots had a General Manager was 1991...

Victor Kiam was the owner, and the role and title was filled by Sam Jankovich...

When James Orthwein took over in 1992, the GM position was axed... Sam Jankovich transitioned into a CEO role, and the ownership group ran like a board of directors of a Company... Jankovich lasted for one season in that role before it was eliminated... The role of the General Manager / CEO transitioned from football operations / personnel to a split between the front office and personnel... The breakdown: Chairman of the Board: James Orthwein ; Vice Chairman of the Board: Michael O'Hallaron ; EVP of Football Operations: Patrick Forte ; VP: Bucko Kilroy ; Director of College Scouting – Charley Armey ; Director of Pro Scouting – Bobby Grier

When Robert Kraft bought the team, the new front office was incorporated as such:
President and Chief Executive Officer: Robert Kraft ; VP & Owner's Representative: Jonathan "Stamps" Kraft ; VP of Business Operations: Andy Wasynczuk ; VP of Football Operations: Patrick Forte ; Director of College Scouting: Charley Armey ; Director of Pro Scouting: Bobby Grier ; Scouting Consultant – Bucko Kilroy; The same basic front office structure is in place now... there are a few more people, but generally its run the same...

When Parcells was here, Bobby Grier was really the go to Personnel guy that the team was looking to... and we all know what happened... This team took a beating because of losing Parcells over a draft pick, creating turmoil that followed them all the way to and through the Super Bowl... The Carroll years were run in the same way that the Parcells years were in terms of the front office structure... When BB took over in 2000, the front office changed in that Pioli was installed as the Assistant Director of Player Personnel... While the role functions similarly the the Directors of the early & late 1990's, it avoids the chaos (RKK even kind of references this in his Q&A today) of having multiple voices all talking at once...

Is it crazy to think that the Patriots will not be hiring a General Manager? That they might be looking for the Head Coach to oversee the Personnel department like it has been run for 24 years under Belichick & Co. ?

Ω
Yes. Crazy. It was obvious yesterday that Kraft is looking for a GM. He stated that checks and balances were important. That BB didn't have full control until after SB win #3. Trust is earned. And no person is perfect and that you need to surround yourself with people who can honestly tell you, no, when necessary.

Last edited:
Yes. Crazy. It was obvious yesterday that Kraft is looking for a GM. He stated that checks and balances were important. That BB didn't have full control until after SB win #3. Trust is earned. And no person is perfect and that you need to surround yourself with people who can honestly tell you, no, when necessary.
I'm not convinced that the team will be hiring a true GM... In light of the reports about Mayo potentially having the inside track for the job, you might have a strengthened player personnel director, but not a GM ...

If they take a poke at Harbaugh, I would expect he'd want full control as well...

Guys like slowik in Houston, and is it McDonald? In Detroit (cannot remember the name, pardons if I'm wrong) might be a different matter... Then you might get a more traditional GM role here...

As it stands I don't think we are hiring a general manager

So many "What if..." threads.

We have to be patient and let things play out. I know it's a time of uncertainty but all questions will be answered. It's just going to take time.

I'm not convinced that the team will be hiring a true GM... In light of the reports about Mayo potentially having the inside track for the job, you might have a strengthened player personnel director, but not a GM ...

If they take a poke at Harbaugh, I would expect he'd want full control as well...

Guys like slowik in Houston, and is it McDonald? In Detroit (cannot remember the name, pardons if I'm wrong) might be a different matter... Then you might get a more traditional GM role here...

As it stands I don't think we are hiring a general manager
Then it's time for Jonathan Kraft to take over because then it was Bob Kraft speaking about a different dimension than what is in front of him.

Then it's time for Jonathan Kraft to take over because then it was Bob Kraft speaking about a different dimension than what is in front of him.
I think that Jonathan is running the day to day team operations at this point... I also believe that the decision to move on from BB is was made with his significant input... Can't prove it, got nothing to back that up, just my opinion on the dynamics of the front office, of how the ownership group works

@Pape Perhaps there's no GM and a director of player personnel instead ?

@Pape Perhaps there's no GM and a director of player personnel instead ?
which is in line with how things are run now... so far, no word on the future of Groh though... up in the air at this point

maybe its splitting hairs at the point, but the title General Manager carries a gravitas that Director of Player Personnel doesn't

which is in line with how things are run now... so far, no word on the future of Groh though... up in the air at this point
Right, which makes me think that it's Mayo and then he will be the one hiring and firing his staff. Otherwise, wouldn't you have let Bill's whole staff go too?

Right, which makes me think that it's Mayo and then he will be the one hiring and firing his staff. Otherwise, wouldn't you have let Bill's whole staff go too?
its a conundrum wrapped in an enigma at this point... need some direction from the front office... the speculation is driving me crazy... doesn't seem like it, but free agency then the draft are just around the corner... that's a lot of game planning in the personnel department in a short period of time if its going to be a whole new crew making the current roster evaluations & player acquisition decisions

Hiring Mayo now only assumes that they are going to stick with most of the front office with Groh as "Director of Personnel" and probably have some sort of multi-head approach with Jonathan being a signatory.
And, if we're lucky, they hire someone else to come run football operations. (Zeigler, etc...)

But who knows if Groh is really any good

As long as they dont hire jon robinson.

Maybe they can poach nick caserio from the Texans. That would be cool

So many "What if..." threads.

We have to be patient and let things play out. I know it's a time of uncertainty but all questions will be answered. It's just going to take time.
For real. In 24 hours we moved on from the greatest coach of all time and announced his successor and now we immediately need to know who the GM is. I am sure there is a short list but I am hoping it isn't anyone who had any real input into the last few drafts.

For real. In 24 hours we moved on from the greatest coach of all time and announced his successor and now we immediately need to know who the GM is. I am sure there is a short list but I am hoping it isn't anyone who had any real input into the last few drafts.
Yup, it was terrible to draft Gonzo, White, SO, Mafi and Douglas.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back