PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Mac Jones and Jaylen Waddle are available at 15?

I am not that keen on Davis Mills. He bird-dogs his receivers; NFL safeties will steal his lunch money. He does not appear to have elite accuracy either....but what the heck do I know based on a couple of minutes of highlights...but watch carefully; he telegraphs who he is going to throw to. In the NFL that turns into an interception or a WR with a headache.

mills is very accurate on short to intermediate throws and less accurate on down field throws.

which is very similar to Brady coming out of Michigan.

I am not that keen on Davis Mills. He bird-dogs his receivers; NFL safeties will steal his lunch money. He does not appear to have elite accuracy either....but what the heck do I know based on a couple of minutes of highlights...but watch carefully; he telegraphs who he is going to throw to. In the NFL that turns into an interception or a WR with a headache.
No qb comes in playing the position like an experienced vet. If any QB were great except he telegraphed his throws teams would jump at him because that as simple to solve as any issue there could be.

No qb comes in playing the position like an experienced vet. If any QB were great except he telegraphed his throws teams would jump at him because that as simple to solve as any issue there could be.
Yeah you have a good point. It very well could be that he was not coached in how to look off a safety in college and maybe this is something that could be corrected in the pros.

The Center suggestion was an attempt at a little levity; I was thinking of what would most likely result in this most broken television sets, ha. If the Patriots did trade back, it is hard to say where they would go. Some big galoot at DT? DE? Guard? WR? QB? I would be very happy with Mac Jones or Waddle...but that seems too obvious for BB.
You know what, my apology Fred, I get weary of people banging on Belichick and took it as a troll. As far as trading down goes I think it’s much more likely than trading up, even though everyone wants a move for a QB. However, given that there is going to be a run on offense in the top 15 Belichick is going to have the pick of the litter defensively. He won’t get the top CB but there are going to be plenty of options if he wants to go defense.

Branch and Givens.

That's it. Edelman was a QB who was developed. Mitchell was injury prone.

The rest are all terrible.
Edelman was drafted to play WR.

I am watching Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah now, and wow. Trade down and pick him? He seems like a LB/SS, but that does not seem like a need....

Last edited:
Yes, dilemma.

A difficult choice. If Pitts is there at 15, do you take him if you're the Pats, who just invested in the two top FA TEs on long contracts?

Is Pitts that good that you just can't pass it up, or do you go more to an area of need?

mills is very accurate on short to intermediate throws and less accurate on down field throws.

which is very similar to Brady coming out of Michigan.

I remember Brady differently from those days. He didn't have the short to intermediate game but I remembers multiple times when he was bombing away. I think David Terrell still owes him for it. Tai Streets too. Heck, Marcus Knight caught 30+ for 21.3 per catch.

Granted, my memories come from watching him bomb Ohio State, and my team, Penn State, who who dominated with deep balls. Maybe those games were different than the rest.

And that is why Brady bolted and we have to watch the playoffs sans a patriot’s team.
Oh PLEASE - Brady bolt from a team that exhausted the larder after 20 years of keeping full for a team that took almost 20 years to fill THIER larder to the brim. Enough about Brady leaving. It was time and I'm personally happy he could win another Superbowl ring. Come next year in Foxboro, I'll be rooting for him to have 10 QB rating and a sprained ankle. He's not MY team's QB any more.

Ochmed are you sure you are on the right fan board?

As to the OP Waddle would be a nice luxury on next year's team, but at 15 we need a guy who will impact more than 5-10 plays a game. An impact defensive rookie (say Parsons, Rousseaux, Barmore) can impact 20-30. Rookie WR's have always had difficulties making an impact early in this offense. As much as I would worry about picking Mack Jones at 15, I'd rather him there than Waddle, because there is at least the POTENTIAL he'll end up being the most impactful player on the offense. No WR will ever be able to claim that

Henry Ruggs was the first WR taken in last year's draft... that worked out well. And don't get me wrong, I still have belief he could work out, but every and any draft pick is a crapshoot. Chad Jackson was the best WR prospect in his draft class. By year two you usually get an idea of who these guys are, by year two N'Keal had the worst passing QB in the NFL so I'll give him a little rope.

I mostly agree with your draft order, QB/DL/CB/LB/OL though I might move OL to the back of the cue unless the best available player is sitting there. They'll only roster eight O-Linemen at most, and dress seven on game day, they're pretty deep there now. Corner could leap up to the next most important along with QB if they can't agree to an extension with Gilmore.

chad Jackson was not a better prospect than Greg Jennings

I remember Brady differently from those days. He didn't have the short to intermediate game but I remembers multiple times when he was bombing away. I think David Terrell still owes him for it. Tai Streets too. Heck, Marcus Knight caught 30+ for 21.3 per catch.

Granted, my memories come from watching him bomb Ohio State, and my team, Penn State, who who dominated with deep balls. Maybe those games were different than the rest.

back then Brady usually came in after Henson wet the bed and Brady then cleaned up after him.

the guy I saw was extremely accurate on short and intermediate routes and almost always put receivers in good position to rack up the yac’s!

when I look at Mills check downs and underneath stuff, he usually puts his receivers in position to get some
yac’s as well.

just similar, not nearly close to the same.

Going back to the original question, I think they would take Jones....Let's see what happens during the rest of free agency.

I think whether during f/a or the draft we're going to add another receiver or two, a pass catching rb, a db, o-lineman and d-lineman. We
addressed most of our needs during f/a but the one thing that stands out is the qb position. Not sure if they like Lance or Jones better, but having someone compete against Cam during camp is going to be important. With the pieces that we've added so far, I would expect Bill to be agressive and move up if there is someone that he really likes. No need in adding extra picks and moving down if they aren't going to make the team or contribute.

do you know how good waddle is? We’re talking a special talent who can win you games

If we trade up in the 1st round, it has to be for a QB. Can't imagine us trading up for a WR in a year when it's deep in that position.
forget deep. We’re talking high quality, a guy like waddle changes entire game plans.

if we pass on waddle for some unusable O lineman or another DB for his son to coach, that would be a travesty

forget deep. We’re talking high quality, a guy like waddle changes entire game plans.

if we pass on waddle for some unusable O lineman or another DB for his son to coach, that would be a travesty

you are “spot on” tonight!

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back