PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What has bothered me most about the 2022 season

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
All in all, I think the biggest thing is the sense that Belichick's response to the entire season has just been a big "whatever"—as if he wrote this season off sometime between McDaniels leaving and the start of the league year.

There are three things that make me wonder about this:

1. The response to McDaniels' departure. Bringing back Patricia and Judge was economical, but obviously has proven unhelpful at best, if not downright harmful. They've hindered Mac's development at best, and the entire offense seems completely disjointed. They should not be this bad, even if they're not world-beaters. I am praying that Kraft insists on offseason change on the offensive side.

2. The lack of any sense of urgency in FA. Instead of building on the momentum from making the playoffs, the team seemed incredibly passive—as if they're hoarding all their cash for 2023. As but one example, they could've easily restructured Matt Judon's contract to create an extra $8M or so in salary cap space. But they waited until just before the season to restructure . . . Jonnu Smith? I admit that trading for Parker doesn't quite fit there, but even then, it wasn't a gigantic splash move, compared to, say, Miami acquiring Hill.

3. On a similar point, has anyone else noted the near complete absence of roster churn? Maybe I missed something, but I can't remember a single in-season move that wasn't injury-related.

I don't have a grand conclusion here, just a ton of confusion.

They don't even need a great offense.. they need a competent one.. bb defense of what's transpired has been so atypical when he cites stats.

#1. Absolutely. Patricia and Judge were looked at as awful choices and its gone exactly how the critics predicted.

#2. No big issue here imo. We didn’t have much cap to work with and to me just doesn’t make sense to borrow alot of money from future cap when youre still building youre way up. Its ok when youre in win now mode. Next year we have the space and need to make noise in free agency , and another great draft. But I think our biggest need is oc.

Vent all your feelings ladies and gents.

I hope Jonathan convinces his Father that they need to have a real sit down with Bill and ask what the plan is going forward? Who can he bring in for experienced coaches? This is something that's not talked about enough that Bill's well has run dry for coaches. In fact, coaches around the league aren't banging on Bill's door to coach with him. This is why we've seen the smallest coaching staff in 20 years and they are "friends and family".

The personnel and personnel moves are still is a problem. This team lacks talent in all the important areas QB, WR, OL. The defense is not even close to being able carrying this offense. And why would you want it to? Bill needs a Co-GM like he had in Pioli. The problem is as I stated earlier, the well has run dry. However, I made the suggestion that Bill call up Robinson and Dimetroff who have drafted 12 Pro Bowl/All Pro's between them to Bill's 1 since 2016.

I dont mind 2. and even 3. to some extent, the 2. i sort of expected/predicted.

The 1. is/was not only extremely disappointing but kind of depressing bc knowing BB he might very well continue with the three stooges show that made himself one of them.

What i couldn't understand from the start and am ranting about it for 9 months is complete OL fiasco.
ZERO coaching, acquiring depth, developing players - and when nothing worked - leaving it to 3 extremely injury/illness prone vets and a rookie.
Setting up Mac with two failed HCs who never run the offence and equally dysfunctional OL was the worst thing he could do.

To me Bill had one job this year: stabilizing the offence after the loss of McD (and Dante before). Giving Mac peace to grow.
He chose different or bad. Now he has a hysterical sophomore QB who looked like a real deal just a year ago.

It is just uncanny that a team that hits on two consecutive drafts and has ton of cap takes such a giant step back.

Last edited:
What’s bothered me the most is Bill seems to care very little about winning and went into this season with the friends and family plan which in a business the size of the NFL should be viewed as professional malpractice.

What’s bothered me the most is Bill seems to care very little about winning and went into this season with the friends and family plan which in a business the size of the NFL should be viewed as professional malpractice.

He can coast to the wins record with a few 8/9 win seasons. He gives no fu.cks besides that.

What's bothered me the most is how flat out dumb this team regularly looks. I knew we were in for some rough sledding after the past 20+ years but I thought we'd seen the end of consistently self defeating dumb azz football in New England.

Last edited:
What bothers me the most is I kind of don’t even care. Like, whatever dude, that was kind of funny I guess?

How can I be upset about MY indifference, I ask myself.

I edited this for clarity.

Last edited:
100% agree with the comment that it does not seem like Bill even cares about winning or losing. It feels like he has accepted mediocrity.
The lack of an attempt to get an experienced offensive coordinator in here is inexcusable

What bothers me the most is I kind of don’t even care. Like, whatever dude, that was kind of funny I guess?

How can one be upset about their indifference, I ask myself.
To see Jacobi in tears describing how he stupidly tried to be a hero tells me he is not indifferent . He cares a lot. I think most all of them do. Are they Larry Bird-like cold blooded killers? no

Bill being exposed as an average coach has bothered me the most.
I'd at least revise that statement to "in todays NFL". People quickly forget he built the initial dynasty around elite D, a fully disciplined squad and what was back then - a game manager at QB.

What's odd is that the anti-BB folks have always said BB never had anything to do with the team's success, anyway. It was always Brady. Players win games; coaches don't.

Now that the team isn't top-notch ELITE every season, it's entirely BB's fault because he's apparently a subpar coach.

So ... the coach actually does matter? Or they don't? Can someone clarify this for me?

I don't think BB has been exposed - past or present - as anything other than a very good coach. This doesn't appear to be one of his better coaching jobs - in no small part due to lackluster staff he put around himself - but that does not make him a bad or average coach, now or before.

I try not to post negative thoughts here but I believed that this years team was toast after losing badly to the Chicago Bears

That's not necessarily a negative thought Sammy, perhaps you might cut yourself some slack and think of it as a realistic one? In a rebuild period it's important to manage one's expectations. After all, you don't have to always wear Pats footie PJ's to be a good kitty.

I said it wrong. I am upset about MY indifference.
Gotcha. I also care less than I used to, knowing what a good team looks like, and that this ain't it

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back