PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened? We passed on Dez Bryant TWICE?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he will be far from a bust. An unbelievable talent with a WR body like any I've ever seen coming out of college. Most wr's build their way over a few season to amass that strength and conditioning. He's already there. I don't think there is a CB in the league that could muscle in front of him to get a jump ball or bump him on the run.

I think it was a mistake not drafting him but I also believe in BB's track record with his first rounders. McCourty is a fine pick and fills a glaring need on this team as far as special teams and returner. He was a shutdown against meager competition but that still says a lot. I'm very interest to see him challenge Butler for playing time and think it makes for a good training camp battle. As much nickel and dime as this team plays they both should see the field a lot.

That "meager competition" thing is pure blowsheet. People made Brandon Graham their binkie, yet all of his highlights came against teams like Michigan State. I love Michigan State but watching him sack Cousins twice in his ESPN highlight reel made my roommates and I laugh hysterically. I was at half the MSU games, penetrating the Spartan offensive line this year was common practice to teams like Central Michigan even. And watching Ryan Matthews "epic" highlights against Wyoming two times was hilarious too.

All these players play "meager" competition at times. But I can guarantee you he's played some good players too.

Re: What happened? We passed on Dez Brant TWICE?!?!?

apparently BB likes to have more CBs who can disguise blitzes. he's not a bad player but very questionable taking him over dez bryant. very questionable.

Why is it questionable? Because you say so? How about backing it up with actual fact?

McCorty gives the Pats a corner to pair with Butler. And these two could be the best combination at CB that the Pats have had since Clayborn and Haynes.

McCorty will come in and immediately be an impact for the return game. Him and Tate could give us two deadly return men back there. Also, there's a good chance that McCorty becomes the nickelback.

Dez Bryant is a one trick pony. He's a WR and nothing else.. I would think that the difference in value is obvious.

I didn't say he didn't play well but this year is for the $$$$ down the road...incentives,incentives

Okay, so he plays well this year. The Patriots can decide to pay him or not to pay him. I dont see your point here? It doesnt have anything to do with him being a good captain or not

Ok, I can accept that, but the Pats need a #2 WR THIS YEAR and someone to develop into a #1 for next year after Randy Moss leaves.
Julian Edelman and Brandon Tate both say hi..

Plus, we needed so many other things.

I am so disappointed in this pick.

This whole "Belichick is more clever than everyone else, that's why no one understands his moves" thing is really wearing out in New England.

Armen, no offense, but you've proven time and again that you get "disappointed" by just about every Patriots pick come draft time. You don't bother to actually try and put yourself in BB's shoes. You don't try and understand the Patriots way of doing things. There are times that I feel you think that Holley made up all the stuff in "Patriots Reign" when it came to the draft.

Instead of whining about it, why not try to understand what the Patriots were thinking. Like that McCorty helps 2 out of 3 facets of the game. Defense AND special Teams. Why not try to look at how the Pats project him, which is clearly in the Ty Law/Raymond Clayborn type of shut-down corner. McCorty can play zone or man equally well.. McCorty is also willing to give support against the run.

The Pats could have gone with the "sexy" pick of Dez Bryant or Sergio Kindle, but they went with what they felt was the best pick for the team.

Last edited:

Armen, no offense, but you've proven time and again that you get "disappointed" by just about every Patriots pick come draft time. You don't bother to actually try and put yourself in BB's shoes. You don't try and understand the Patriots way of doing things. There are times that I feel you think that Holley made up all the stuff in "Patriots Reign" when it came to the draft.

Instead of whining about it, why not try to understand what the Patriots were thinking. Like that McCorty helps 2 out of 3 facets of the game. Defense AND special Teams. Why not try to look at how the Pats project him, which is clearly in the Ty Law/Raymond Clayborn type of shut-down corner. McCorty can play zone or man equally well.. McCorty is also willing to give support against the run.

The Pats could have gone with the "sexy" pick of Dez Bryant or Sergio Kindle, but they went with what they felt was the best pick for the team.

This McCorty guy gives the patriots exactly what they need. Pressure off of Darius who could be playing nickle this year. And more talented bodies in the secondary. Shoot TB doesnt need a headache like Bryant to win a superbowl, he needs a defense that can stop a decent offense and put him in the best position to succeed.

I think he will be far from a bust. An unbelievable talent with a WR body like any I've ever seen coming out of college. Most wr's build their way over a few season to amass that strength and conditioning. He's already there. I don't think there is a CB in the league that could muscle in front of him to get a jump ball or bump him on the run.

I think it was a mistake not drafting him but I also believe in BB's track record with his first rounders. McCourty is a fine pick and fills a glaring need on this team as far as special teams and returner. He was a shutdown against meager competition but that still says a lot. I'm very interest to see him challenge Butler for playing time and think it makes for a good training camp battle. As much nickel and dime as this team plays they both should see the field a lot.
JJ Stokes
David Terrell
Charles Rodgers
Mike Williams
Freddy Mitchel
Koren Robinson
Reggie Willaims amoung many other "can't miss" WR prospects say........Hello

Less than fifty % of these can't miss stud WR's make it. And most of those didn't have to play on the same side of the field as the offensive coaches who would tell Bryant were to run.

Last edited:
JJ Stokes
David Terrell
Charles Rodgers
Mike Williams
Freddy Mitchel
Koren Robinson

Less than fifty % of these can't miss stud WR's make it. And most of those didn't have to play on the same side of the field as the offensive coaches who would tell Bryant were to run.

Exactly correct!

no reason to be pissed about not taking Bryant
he would have been a better pick then another DB but that's not the problem

the biggest hole on this team is pass rush (and that is the #1 reason why our d-backfield is like swiss cheese)

this team is putting all it's faith on tully-banta-cain and derrick burgess.

are you kidding me?

3rd place in the AFC east is a lock for the pats.

JJ Stokes
David Terrell
Charles Rodgers
Mike Williams
Freddy Mitchel
Koren Robinson

Don't paint a negative spin on it. I like the guy and think he will be a highly productive player. That's just my opinion and nothing more. His physical intangibles were just part of why I liked him. For the record, the above names I had no desire to draft. You won't see me around here moping about not drafting Bryant. I've already moved on and am now looking forward to day 2.

I'm fine with the McCourty pick. He fills multiple needs and time will tell if he can be the shutdown CB that we all desperately crave. I'm banking on it actually. Having Butler Bodden and McCourty is an added plus to this team and happy for it if these guys gel like they should.

Don't paint a negative spin on it. I like the guy and think he will be a highly productive player. That's just my opinion and nothing more. His physical intangibles were just part of why I liked him. For the record, the above names I had no desire to draft. You won't see me around here moping about not drafting Bryant. I've already moved on and am now looking forward to day 2.

I'm fine with the McCourty pick. He fills multiple needs and time will tell if he can be the shutdown CB that we all desperately crave. I'm banking on it actually. Having Butler Bodden and McCourty is an added plus to this team and happy for it if these guys gel like they should.
There are a lot of people here that want this guy bryant in the worse way, they don't seem to remember all these other cant miss wr's. I get the impression that they think that with this guy the pats will be unstoppable, it wasn't going to happen. I thought the dame thing in '06 with chad jackson, maroney, dave thomas etc and what happened?

Why is it questionable? Because you say so? How about backing it up with actual fact?

McCorty gives the Pats a corner to pair with Butler. And these two could be the best combination at CB that the Pats have had since Clayborn and Haynes.

McCorty will come in and immediately be an impact for the return game. Him and Tate could give us two deadly return men back there. Also, there's a good chance that McCorty becomes the nickelback.

Dez Bryant is a one trick pony. He's a WR and nothing else.. I would think that the difference in value is obvious.

You can't say that Mccourty is a better returner than Bryant based on his college record since Bryant had more success returning kicks, as did Darius Butler.

But it just may be that McCourty is better in the NFL.

I just find it odd that Wilhite was supposed to replace Hobbs as our third guy, and clearly he hasn't, but Hobbs of course was great at KR.

I can accept that explanation, but I was really hoping with all these picks that we would come out of this draft with a true impact player. Someone I could root for from day 1 and who would entertain me from day 1.

McCourty is gamble. He might be the next Ray Claiborne, as you say (I was assuming you were projecting Darius into the Haynes role!), but he could just as easily be the next Chris Canty.

And while yes, I can be critical of Belichick and do believe he is nearing the end of his coaching days in New England, I don't hate every pick. I LOVED Logan Mankins. I loved Mayo. I LOVED Merriweather.

Even though it had nothing to do with Belichick, I would also like to own up to hating the Richard Seymour pick. I wanted them to take David Terrell from Michigan that day. I know..."how did that work out"!

I guess I am just more into scoring and big plays than players who fit a "scheme". I don't want to know about the "scheme". Just show me the forking TDs & Ws!

Last edited:

you saw how chad jackson looked when he came out ? Also , if you see BB's interview yesterday with mayock , he said passing gsame in college is so different to the nfl that its very difficult to evaluate.So i for one dont want a #1 pick be a WR.

you saw how chad jackson looked when he came out ? Also , if you see BB's interview yesterday with mayock , he said passing gsame in college is so different to the nfl that its very difficult to evaluate.So i for one dont want a #1 pick be a WR.

Ok. How about a linebacker, or a defensive lineman or a running back...all GLARING needs on our football team!

JJ Stokes
David Terrell
Charles Rodgers
Mike Williams
Freddy Mitchel
Koren Robinson

Could I also make a list of CB misses?

A month ago, I went back and saw that more than 50% of the WRs make it. I also don't consider some of these guys can't miss. I went back over a decade.

16 makes-13 busts (including Clayton who is arguable)

I highlight the guys in blue who were hyped similarly to Bryant.

Calvin Johnson
Dwayne Bowe
Ted Ginn BUST
Santonio Holmes
Braylon Edwards BUST
Mike Williams BUST
Matt Jones BUST
Mark Clayton
Roddy White
Troy Williamson BUST
Larry Fitzgerald
Roy Williams
Lee Evans
Reggie Williams BUST
Michael Clayton BUST (80 catches and 1,200 yards his rookie year then bad QBs)
Michael Jenkins
Rsaun Woods BUST
Charles Rogers BUST
Andre Johnson
Bryant Johnson
Donte Stallworth
Ashley Lelie BUST
Javon Walker
David Terrell BUST
Koren Robinson BUST
Rod Gardner
Santana Moss
Freddie Mitchell BUST
Reggie Wayne

This McCorty guy gives the patriots exactly what they need. Pressure off of Darius who could be playing nickle this year. And more talented bodies in the secondary. Shoot TB doesnt need a headache like Bryant to win a superbowl, he needs a defense that can stop a decent offense and put him in the best position to succeed.

McCorty isn't exactly what the Pats need but could be a significant piece along with the other two picks the Pats got with the #22 pick in this draft. Add the 3rd rounder and the 4th rounder they got by trading down and we'll have an idea what the brain trust is up to. Turning the first rounder into three prospects is great as the Pats take the 2nd big step towards getting faster and younger.

The champs of the AFC East have the most picks of any team in the 2010 draft and two #1s in the 2011 draft at this point. This is in contrast to the Jets who are getting older (Jason Taylor?!?) and the Dolphins who are getting better but bringing in other teams' headaches and unloading their leadership.

The 2nd Round will be very interesting. Trader Bill will be back at work and my guess is a veteran or two is on the way to fill gaps. Unloading 2010 picks makes sense with the CBA in question and looming rookie cap in 2011.

This could be very true, but I would hope that it was really as bad as some people were saying. He would have had a play maker veteran in Moss to mentor him on play making and then Holt for route running. Couldnt ask for better mentors than that, and oh yeah his QB would have been Tom Brady. I really really hope BB and staff know for sure this guy is a headcase and a meat head and wouldnt have been a good fit here. He just seems too talented to pass up on...twice
Everything you say is a reason why Chad Jackson has been awesome on our team.

Seriously, I know BB is a fool and incompetent, and that we know better than him. I miss the old days when he was smarter, like when he signed Adalius Thomas and we were all so happy we creamed our jeans.

Ok. How about a linebacker, or a defensive lineman or a running back...all GLARING needs on our football team!

sure ..a lot of them still on the board and 2nd and 3rd round still to go.says what all teams think of them namely kindle,sapp,dunlap that they havent been picked yet.

I've heard and read that the dropoff after the top 5 CB's (Haden, McCourty, Wilson, Robinson, and Jackson) was quite significant. This IMO is why we went with CB first, then will address the DE/OLB area with 2 more picks before the end of round #4 at pick 113. The DE/OLB prospects are deeper than CB was, and it seems as though Belichick liked the best player available with McCourty.

Those who feel that we didn't have to address the CB situation forget how much they complained about Wilhite + Springs' inability to stay on the field. Couple that with Butler still being very raw, and CB was an obvious need.

Mgteich brought up a great thread in the draft forum last week about us possibly taking Wilson, McCourty, or Jackson--and many of us were happy at the prospect of another great young athlete.

Last edited:

You can't say that Mccourty is a better returner than Bryant based on his college record since Bryant had more success returning kicks, as did Darius Butler.

But it just may be that McCourty is better in the NFL.

I just find it odd that Wilhite was supposed to replace Hobbs as our third guy, and clearly he hasn't, but Hobbs of course was great at KR.

Got your facts wrong..

Hmm.. 6 CAREER Kick returns for 143 yards for Bryant. 22 punt returns for 431 yards and 3 TDs.

15 Career Kick returns for 351 yards for McCourty and a TD. 5 punt returns for 102 yards.

McCourty had more kick returns than Bryant. Bryant had more punt returns. their averages are very similar.. (23.4 vs. 23.8 kick returns avg: 20.4 vs 19.6 punt return avg. ) That to me makes McCourty the better kick returner and Bryant the better punt returner.

Bryant won't be returning punts for the Cowboys.. That will be Crayton, who was one of the best last year. Bryant likely won't be returning kicks either..

McCourty, on the other hand, will be returning kicks for the Pats since they don't really have anyone. Hopefully the blocking will be better on it because that was part of the issue last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back