PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened to gronk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I remember those days where gronk would give defensive coordinators nightmares. He did in SB 49 especially. I used to be excited on game days with a healthy gronk in the lineup. This year is different. Ever since that Steelers game from last year, he’s been slower and can’t get open. He’s not catching 6 a game anymore. Is it because he hasn’t been 100% or is he declining?

This is a weird thread to come out after possibly his best game all year... There have been a lot of weeks to ask that question this year, but the Miami game wasn't one of them.

Short answer though: Too many injuries over too many years. Eventually they get harder and harder to fight through and be at the ridiculous level that he's been in his career. When he's feeling 100%, he's still damn good. But if he's nicked up, there's a larger dropoff than years past.

To put in in perspective, Gronk is almost 30 and still arguably the best tight end in football; that's how far above everyone he was previously. This season he is "only" going to get around 800-900 yards and 3-5 TDs, which is borderline pro bowl level; that doesn't take into account that he's still one of the league's very best blocking TEs. Injuries, age, ongoing back issues (arguably the biggest one) have contributed to an inevitable decline in play. He doesn't have the same burst, speed, leaping ability, or sheer strength to plow guys over or snatch touchdowns throw 12 feet in the air. He's still much, much better than most teams tight ends, and if he went down tomorrow with an injury, it would be a devastating blow to the offense.

He is still the most important player on offense besides Brady, even if he isn't filling up the highlight reels. The emergence of Josh Gordon and the surprisingly high level of play from Edelman (at his age) has made the reliance on Gronk as a pass catcher decrease, and we may see an enhanced version in the playoffs.

He no longer really runs seem routes or lines up outside, nor has he been a red zone target. Whether or not that's something they are saving/avoiding injury, or he just isn't fast/athletic enough remains to be seen.

Last edited:
This is a weird thread to come out after possibly his best game all year... There have been a lot of weeks to ask that question this year, but the Miami game wasn't one of them.

Short answer though: Too many injuries over too many years. Eventually they get harder and harder to fight through and be at the ridiculous level that he's been in his career. When he's feeling 100%, he's still damn good. But if he's nicked up, there's a larger dropoff than years past.

I see what you’re saying. Logic would say he’s got many years left. Look at Greg Olson or Jason written. Gronk is only 29 and witten retired when he was like 36-37. It’s probably the injuries that caused him to almost retire last offseason that and BB wanted to trade him which would have been crazy.

Gronk gets mugged and challenged at the LOS and during his route. Dolphins read the press clippings and gave Gronk Kelce coverage. Gronk gets over a 100 yards and a TD.

Gronk has a nice brand without being on the field. He should retire soon and be in LA and enjoys life and stuff.

He just had a great game but I think hes older and has been hampered by nagging injuries. Let's hope they build on last weeks game.

Having been going through terrible back problems since July. I can tell you through experience back pain is the worse. You can't walk effectively, let alone run. You are constantly without energy because of enduring the pain. Most days you want to just stay in bed. Treatments every two weeks that doesn't improve anything major issues, just small tweats.

That said, I admire Gronk every time he gets on the field, takes a hit, blocks a lineman or LBer, and can even run down the field and still stretch out to catch a pass. He is the man. We should be thankful for everything he give us today, tomorrow and the day after that. Age combined with injuries is a slow painful life yet he continues. For his sake I hope he retires before he gets more injured.

Go Gronk
Go Pats

He’s at the end of the line. His body has taken too much abuse and he’s probably getting into age-related decline territory as well.

He’s a shell of his former dominant GOAT self. He can still be effective and have good games but he’s no longer a guy who is going to cause D-coordinators to lose sleep over. He’s simply lost too much explosion, speed and lateral quickness.

Having been going through terrible back problems since July. I can tell you through experience back pain is the worse. You can't walk effectively, let alone run. You are constantly without energy because of enduring the pain. Most days you want to just stay in bed. Treatments every two weeks that doesn't improve anything major issues, just small tweats.

That said, I admire Gronk every time he gets on the field, takes a hit, blocks a lineman or LBer, and can even run down the field and still stretch out to catch a pass. He is the man. We should be thankful for everything he give us today, tomorrow and the day after that. Age combined with injuries is a slow painful life yet he continues. For his sake I hope he retires before he gets more injured.

Go Gronk
Go Pats

Yup, I think it's his back. Against Minnesota, he caught the ball running sideways a yard short of a first down. A smaller defender was able to drive him to the sideline about 10 yards or more away without Gronk being able to turn and drive for an extra yard. That never would have happened in the past and losing a step doesn't cause that. A hurt back would though.

He’s at the end of the line. His body has taken too much abuse and he’s probably getting into age-related decline territory as well.

He’s a shell of his former dominant GOAT self. He can still be effective and have good games but he’s no longer a guy who is going to cause D-coordinators to lose sleep over. He’s simply lost too much explosion, speed and lateral quickness.
It was painful seeing him try and tackle Kenyon drake. Maybe 2011 gronk makes the tackle? Who knows

it's almost like he's a big dude thats had multiple surgeries all over his body, and the wear and tear is slowly causing him to lose a step or two.

I remember those days where gronk would give defensive coordinators nightmares. He did in SB 49 especially. I used to be excited on game days with a healthy gronk in the lineup. This year is different. Ever since that Steelers game from last year, he’s been slower and can’t get open. He’s not catching 6 a game anymore. Is it because he hasn’t been 100% or is he declining?
Odd timing since he just put up 8/107 and a TD last week.

For the season he averages 4.3 for 63.7 vs a career of 4.6 for 69.8
His catch rate is 69% vs a career of 66%

His numbers so far extrapolated to 16 games would be 69/1018.

He has been dealing with injuries but he has produced.

Odd timing since he just put up 8/107 and a TD last week.

For the season he averages 4.3 for 63.7 vs a career of 4.6 for 69.8
His catch rate is 69% vs a career of 66%

His numbers so far extrapolated to 16 games would be 69/1018.

He has been dealing with injuries but he has produced.
Why does “69” seem to shadow this dude?? o_O:D

Gronk gets mugged and challenged at the LOS and during his route. Dolphins read the press clippings and gave Gronk Kelce coverage. Gronk gets over a 100 yards and a TD.

And Miami is the worst defense when it comes to covering TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back