PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened in the bye week?

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Thinking about it this morning. Not just the regression on defense and key players like Judon but you also had Mac Jones a rookie QB after the Colts loss call out the team over a “bad week of practice”. I thought that was strange. Then you had Slater hint before the Jax game that something wasnt right in the locker room. Then you had last night. That was what teams look like when they quit.

I wonder if we’ll find out more or maybe I’m reading too much into this stuff.

Last edited:
I didn't see any quit in the QB. That's what matters to me. Now you just have to surround him with the right people. It was year one.

The defense is old and slow. If they rushed too hard Allen ran around them. If they stayed in their lanes Allen picked apart a pathetic secondary.

Fix a few things and we'll talk next year.

Thinking about it this morning. Not just the regression on defense and key players like Judon but you also had Mac Jones a rookie QB after the Colts loss call out the team over a “bad week of practice”. I thought that was strange. Then you had Slater hint before the Jax game that something wasnt right in the locker room. Then you had last night. That was what teams look like when they quit.

I wonder if we’ll find out more or maybe I’m reading too much into this stuff.
It's plausible to look at the Indy game following bye the start of the poor play after 2 months of good play.

I honestly don't think there was a locker room issue.

My theory is it was a collection of things which are coincidental to the bye.
  1. Teams caught up to our D
  2. We let our mental foot off the gas
  3. Older players and rookies wore down
This was a team that was good enough to beat lesser teams handily but equal or better not really.

They may have beaten Indy but bye or no bye we aren't beating BUF

It's plausible to look at the Indy game following bye the start of the poor play after 2 months of good play.

I honestly don't think there was a locker room issue.

My theory is it was a collection of things which are coincidental to the bye.
  1. Teams caught up to our D
  2. We let our mental foot off the gas
  3. Older players and rookies wore down
This was a team that was good enough to beat lesser teams handily but equal or better not really.

They may have beaten Indy but bye or no bye we aren't beating BUF
I’m going to echo this as the most plausible explanation, but I won’t completely discount the locker issues. Didn’t Mac mention practice AGAIN last night ? I mean, it’s weird to go back to it if it’s a non issue…

I’m going to echo this as the most plausible explanation, but I won’t completely discount the locker issues. Didn’t Mac mention practice AGAIN last night ? I mean, it’s weird to go back to it if it’s a non issue…
What did say about practice?

If the Pats had a couple bad weeks of practice, it's on the HC...

I can't think of a single person on the team that would be a lockerroom cancer type...

Buffalo has a better roster and was playing at home, they should have won, all else being equal. The simple fact of losing doesn't concern me. We have a rookie QB who has been good but is definitely a work in progress. Starting tackle is out. The usual stuff that can reasonably contribute to losing.

What concerns me is that all this stuff that supposedly sets Belichick apart from everybody else was TOTALLY ABSENT. The defense was not smart or physical, in fact it seemed to just check out of the game after one quarter and let the Bills walk all over them with no resistance. There were no clever schematic twists that slowed down the opposing QB, even for just a drive or two. You've got a dumb facemask penalty, blown special teams coverage. All the supposed hallmarks of a "Belichick coached team" were a mirage. They didn't know what to do and they didn't fight. For this team to go anywhere they had to play mistake free football with strong defense, instead they played dumb football with no defense.

In short, the game was a coaching failure more than anything. This isn't some knee jerk BELICHICK FRAUD FIRE HIM post, but it is what it is. You don't lose by 40 as a 10-7 team because your roster is THAT BAD, you lose because you were soft, sloppy, unprepared - all the things Belichick is supposed to prevent. They go out, I dunno, 31-20 and I'm totally on board with "they just need to bolster the roster, Mac needs a year under his belt, etc." but not after this.

If the Pats had a couple bad weeks of practice, it's on the HC...

I can't think of a single person on the team that would be a lockerroom cancer type...
It's coaches and players holding each other accountable

I think thats just Mac's thing, going back to practice and that's where they need to start. We are going to hear a lot about practice for the next decade.

Maybe there were some issues with some of the highly paid guys not handling things the way the leaders in the locker room felt they should. Obviously I’m just speculating. I think the bigger factor is during our winning streak we caught a lot of teams with unfavorable circumstances. The Browns didn’t have Chubb. The Titans didn’t have Henry or their top two receivers. The first Bills game had crazy weather. I was happy we were winning but a little worried we were just catching teams at the right time. I think down the stretch the defense got exposed and the offense is far too limited to keep up in a shootout.

They believed the hype, read their own press clippings... clearly. And the coaches did little to dissuade this, they were more intent on making sure the players had "fun."

At the end of the year the Patriots were the worst disciplined and worst coached team in the playoffs. On their opening drive they had a false start, three dropped passes, missed blocks and a pass that should have led the receiver to the back of the end zone instead of the front... it wasn't "talent." It was horrid execution, just really bad, mistake filled football.

Before BB goes looking at the players for next year, he'd better take a hard look at himself and the coaching staff, it has to start there.

They believed the hype, read their own press clippings... clearly. And the coaches did little to dissuade this, they were more intent on making sure the players had "fun."

At the end of the year the Patriots were the worst disciplined and worst coached team in the playoffs. On their opening drive they had a false start, three dropped passes, missed blocks and a pass that should have led the receiver to the back of the end zone instead of the front... it wasn't "talent." It was horrid execution, just really bad, mistake filled football.

Before BB goes looking at the players for next year, he'd better take a hard look at himself and the coaching staff, it has to start there.
Well I’ll be darned. Some analysis I agree with.

whatever happened in the bye week was real. but the problem is that it shows this team doesn't have the Bruschi/McG/Harrison type leaders on D. No one that can really demand respect on the field and locker room. DMac and HT are old and slower (same w/ Collins, KVN) and Slater doesn't play enough of a role on the field to really back up his constant rah-rah speeches. It will be interesting to see who doesn't come back.

I said this in late October - before the Pats wen't on their win streak but think it is valid:

"The lack of talent on this team reminds me a lot of the early 90's teams. Anybody remember Hart Lee Dykes?The fact that Brady won with this group is almost crazy unbelievable and really and truly highlights his greatness.

BB is a great coach. But coaches don't play and talent is talent. If this team wins half its games over the next 3-5 years I will be impressed."

The D is old and the depth is not there. The receivers are JAGS and nobody on offense scares anyone.

The Pats draft class this year could be considered "good" if Mac and Barmore and Stevenson continuing being productive. 2020 draft? Dugger. 2019 draft Harris? Just go back and look how many busts there have been. The Pats drafting has been terrible.

Not saying that BB is not a great coach - I think he is and the fact that he won 7 games last year with Newton is an example of that - but the poor drafting has really impacted this team.

I believe that was roundabout when our DBs started getting COVID and injured and the balance of getting INTs changed to giving away more.

Buffalo has a better roster and was playing at home, they should have won, all else being equal. The simple fact of losing doesn't concern me. We have a rookie QB who has been good but is definitely a work in progress. Starting tackle is out. The usual stuff that can reasonably contribute to losing.

What concerns me is that all this stuff that supposedly sets Belichick apart from everybody else was TOTALLY ABSENT. The defense was not smart or physical, in fact it seemed to just check out of the game after one quarter and let the Bills walk all over them with no resistance. There were no clever schematic twists that slowed down the opposing QB, even for just a drive or two. You've got a dumb facemask penalty, blown special teams coverage. All the supposed hallmarks of a "Belichick coached team" were a mirage. They didn't know what to do and they didn't fight. For this team to go anywhere they had to play mistake free football with strong defense, instead they played dumb football with no defense.

In short, the game was a coaching failure more than anything. This isn't some knee jerk BELICHICK FRAUD FIRE HIM post, but it is what it is. You don't lose by 40 as a 10-7 team because your roster is THAT BAD, you lose because you were soft, sloppy, unprepared - all the things Belichick is supposed to prevent. They go out, I dunno, 31-20 and I'm totally on board with "they just need to bolster the roster, Mac needs a year under his belt, etc." but not after this.
The defense’s lack of mental toughness and willingness to quit playing hard so early in the game speaks to coaching. They quit after their nose got bloodied.
Also in the previous 4 games not being able to make a stop when they had to speaks to lack of mental toughness

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back