PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What draft grade would you give the Patriots so far?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What grade would you give pats so far?

• A

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • B

Votes: 104 49.3%
  • C

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • D

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • F

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went with a 'C'

I like the collins pick......the front 7 needed a boost of athleticism
I also think Dobson could be good, although I wonder how ready he is to make a difference in '13

for me, it sort of falls apart on rd 3......unless the idea of drafting 2 is that it doubles your chances of getting 1 that can play, it seems like a neither here nor there waste

If you're going to do your usual ***** and moan routine, why don't you use, I don't know, players who were actually busts as your examples. And then tell us of all the great GMs out there who have a 100% success rate in the draft.

Posted a list of all his busts in round 2-4, you know the rounds we picked up magical "value" in 2 nights ago and proceeded to use on scrubs, people with motor issues, and what I think is a good WR with some hope.

What was the response? Guy I responded to just ignored the entire post, while others chimed in that my list was wrong because Chung shouldn't be considered a bust, laughed my ass off at that.

You know why those are the responses to long, well thought posts? Because people like you hate to see reality that BB the GM is average at best.

No GMs have a 100% rate, BB is just average or slightly above average.

Sorry that the bending over of the Vikings (getting 8 measly more points out of them) actually wasn't a fleecing at all as lots on here were singing on the roofs about. And even after getting all that "value" you draft a guy that should've went undrafted.

Even funnier are the people actually saying its a contradiction to say BB the GM sucks because the teams win. The teams win because of Tom Brady and playing in a **** division.

B+, they started with 3 picks in the top 100 and ended up with 5 in the top 102 and addressed their needs at WR/DB/ and pass rushing OLB. They obviously feel they addressed DL with Tommy Kelly and Armstead and i am guessing they will go interior OL in the 7th. I honestly think they had both Collins and Dobson ranked much higher than the analysts and feel they are much better fits for this team than the others were. I really like 4-5 picks and will hold off on judging harmon for the time being.

Truth is that had we asked people what their priorities were going into the draft and judged the Patriots on addressing those priorities they would get an A+, the only reason people are critical is because they addressed their needs with different players from those people here wanted, and their judgement is based entirely on the generic rankings of the draft mags and sites, and they aren't anywhere near as thorough and team specific as the evaluations the Patriots and other teams do for themselves. Could it be that they had wanted some other prospects but they didn't fall to them, sure, and that could well be the case with a guy like Markus Wheaton, who Pitt took 2 picks before them, but they still had other guys rated near to him and were able to get them.

What I'm not enjoying about this draft right now is the complete lack of attention given to our lines which could have used an influx of young talent.

Pats Draftnik Rolling Recap, 2013

Pats Draftnik Rolling Recap, 2013

Rd 1, pick 29 : Minnesota’s future. Sounds ominous, actually, but everything about Minnesota sounds ominous – the weather, the proximity to Canada, the fact that they went Mondale in 1984, hell, even their most famous pop star changed his name to an ampersand or some crap, probably hoping he wouldn’t be traced back to Minnesota. Now they’ve decided they need three picks in the first round of a draft with a big honking vacuum in first-round talent, and Bill Belichick and company are among the beneficiaries. Still, being a Pats draftnik, I have to pan this pick. After all, we could have used Cindarella Patterson or whatever the hell her name is. Instead all we get is a 2, a 3, a 4, and a 7. I don’t care if we won the trade value chart math, and I don’t care that talent at the top of this draft is bleaker than January in Minneapolis, and I don’t care who the Pats war room wanted, I was watching on my TV and I deserved entertainment. Plus, Geno Smith was still on the board, not to mention that Manatee guy with the imaginary girlfriend. Not only that, but why couldn’t we convince Seattle to trade us Percy Harvin for this pick after they got Harvin for their 24? After all they did want back into the first – and what could Harvin like so much that’s easy to get in Seattle? Right. Coffee. I’m going with coffee. Pats Draftnik Grade: D

Rd 2, pick 52, Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss; 6’3”, 250 lbs. The draft magazine I bought two weeks ago rates him as the 14th best linebacker in this draft, and for his write-up, misprinted the write-up of someone named Wright. Mayock likes him, which makes me happy, because I think Mayock and Kiper are smarter than anyone in Foxborough, but on the downside, look at all the guys he isn’t, starting with Berkevious Mingo: This is Vernon Gholston all over again. Actually I just liked typing Berkevious Mingo. Berkevious Mingo. Berkevious Mingo. Granted, nobody else wanted Mingo either, but if you’re going to reach, this was the guy to reach for. Trust me, I’m a draftnik. But seriously – long and lanky as Collins may be, he’s not the only one with a reach, if you know what I’m saying. Belichick’s got the wingspan of a pterodactyl and he’s just as behind the times. So what do we have? A high school quarterback turned safety turned edge rusher with a high center of gravity and the motor of a used Prius, who gets pushed around like the peas on a real linebacker’s plate once all the meat’s gone and has all the pursuit instincts of a tanqed herd animal. Bill, Bill, Bill. Sometimes you just need a guy to do one thing, in this case, rush the quarterback. Not be the quarterback, not cover the quarterback, if the quarterback in question is Edelman and he’s actually playing wide receiver. Just rush the quarterback. We haven’t won a Super Bowl since 2004, and this constant versatility thing doesn’t help. Pats Draftnik Grade: F

Rd. 2, pick 59, Please Be Randy Moss, Please be Randy Moss, WR, Marshall; 6’3”, 205 lbs. At least the boys at 1 Patriot Place heeded my letter about receivers from Florida, so kudos for that. But seriously, how bad do they want “Good Randy” back? Bad enough to draft a clone from the Axlotl tanks of Tleilaxu, right down to the college he went to. Of course, I’m talking about Aaron Dobson, not that I’ve ever talked about him before. I talked about Cindarella Patterson, and Tavon Austin, and Keenan Allen, and Justin Hunter, just not Aaron Dobson – so I have no idea why Bill and company were talking about him, or worse yet, drafting him. Can catch the ball in traffic, but can’t merge onto the freeway once he takes an NFL-style bump at the line. Makes one-handed circus catches playing against guys who will be selling used cars in a year, not so much against pro defensive backs. I give him one good game before Bill gets the Gator he’s coveted in the past… at least, his arms. Pats Draftnik Grade: D – and only because we’re taking into account the Pats’ record drafting wideouts.

Rd. 3, Pick 83, Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers; 5’11”, 191. Yay, another short slow cornerback! Just what the doctor ordered, assuming we mean Dr. Kevorkian, and the patient in question is the Patriots (AKA Rutgers) secondary. What are you on the Rutgers board of trustees, Bill? The Pats brain trust has to be shattered that they had to sacrifice a shot at a safety from Fresno State to make the pick, but given that those are the two schools to pick from, something had to give. I’ve emailed you, I’ve called you, I’ve defied the restraining order and ambushed you from the bushes outside your home, Bill, and still you ignore what I long ago decided: We must have corners 6’ or taller. So what’s the draftnik book on this latest hefty bag of fail? Opens his hips faster than a drunk prom date and ranks about the same in the technique department, has sound tackling skills. Okay, Pats draft staff, listen up: If your cornerback is really good at tackling, that might be a bad sign. Upside: He can play pitch and catch on the sidelines with our new outside linebacker and Edelman – assuming he even sees the sidelines. Pats Draftnik Grade: D-

Rd. 4, Pick 102, Josh Boyce, WR, TCU; 5’11”, 206 lbs. Bill Belichick, you wily dog, you wanted a more durable, cheaper Wes Welker, and you got him. Except for the foot injury. And the fact that he lacks suddenness and will get blasted off his routes by anybody who’s used so much as a shake-weight for any length of time. And the fact that he’ll never have outside speed or moves and has all the upside of a Mini Cooper. This guy is not worth pick 102. I have all the receivers ranked on my draftnik board from every school, and based hours of research involving an excel spreadsheet, a bunch of draft websites, a “draft in your sleep” tape I’ve played every night since January, and random gossip, Boyce is not the answer. Hell, the fact that someone in PatsLand thought he was the answer makes me wonder what the question even was. I’ve seen a better slot on a hooker in Thailand, and that was surgically created. Let’s review: Since we drafted Deion Branch and David Givens, we’ve had a bunch of special teamers with “WR” after their names, then guys we tried to actually play at WR ranging from Edelman to Chad Jackson. Meanwhile the other 31 teams in the NFL have drafted Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and A.J. Green, to name just a few – just like the other 31 teams in the NFL have won three quarters of the super bowls since 2001. Pats Draftnik Grade: F

Rd. 4, Pick 126. Nobody – and we whiff on another Gholston. Jesus, Bill, ever hear of bloodlines? Didn’t you know when you got AquaTaliban or whatever the hell his name was that you may end up whiffing on another Gholston – and this one an edge rusher? Time-lapse failtography. Pats Draftnik Grade: D

That’s it from the Draftnik for now, Pats draft fans. But tune in sometime soon for all the insight and analysis on the late picks. We got three 7s!

Re: Pats Draftnik Rolling Recap, 2013

Your accurately describe why the sky is falling..

'cept you forgot to hold Steven Belichick accountable for his choice of Logan Ryan a name you forgot #91, Duron Harmon.

Your grade is incomplete.. I

As you've already been shown multiple times, this is patently false. Totally worthless engaging with you as, like another poster said, you just talk out of your ass.

Now i would give them a B+...maybe A

Posted a list of all his busts in round 2-4, you know the rounds we picked up magical "value" in 2 nights ago and proceeded to use on scrubs, people with motor issues, and what I think is a good WR with some hope.

What was the response? Guy I responded to just ignored the entire post, while others chimed in that my list was wrong because Chung shouldn't be considered a bust, laughed my ass off at that.

You know why those are the responses to long, well thought posts? Because people like you hate to see reality that BB the GM is average at best.

Sorry that the bending over of the Vikings (getting 8 measly more points out of them) actually wasn't a fleecing at all as lots on here were singing on the roofs about. And even after getting all that "value" you draft a guy that should've went undrafted.

Even funnier are the people actually saying its a contradiction to say BB the GM sucks because the teams win. The teams win because of Tom Brady and playing in a **** division.

Go AWAY ! Go AWAY!! Go AWAY !!!

You can come back when an NFL teams signs you as a Director of Scouting. If you always want to twhine why not pick a team that doesn't win, and actually deserves all your "carefully researched" whining, say the New York Jets or the Cleveland Browns...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously? The traditional Pats Draftnik Recap thread is merged into a poll?

No round seven for you.

:mad:

(Serves me right for missing Harmon Kardon.)

I would give this draft a C

2) Collins LB- C : Great measurables, amazing Combine numbers, 10 sacks, then why was this guy rated a 4th or 5th round pick ? Could be because there are valid questions about this kid's motor, seems like he has the body of Tarzan but sometimes plays like Jane. This was a reach by BB, but maybe BB can reach this kid and rev up his motor.

2) Dobson WR- B: Love this pick, was a big fan of Dobson after seeing him play in the Beef O Brady Bowl. Big, physical, fast receiver with great hands !!. So called better receivers were still available, but a lot of them dropped big time (Patton and Rogers).

3) Ryan CB- B: Very solid value pick, rated 2nd round pick at worst. Adds good depth, and depending how he works out, possible Talib replacement in 2014.

3) Harmon S- F: All I can say is , "Huh ? Who ?" Rated at best a 7th round pick, most had him as an UDFA, yet BB wastes a 3rd round pick on him. Maybe the worst pick in the draft by any team. Only thing to like about him is his size, 6'1" 200.

4) Boyce WR- B: Once again, so called better receivers were still available. BUT, speed kills, what's not to like with a guy who runs a 4.38 with a broken toe ? Also, decent size at 5'11" 205. More explosive than Dobson in both speed and moves, though doesn't separate as well as Dobson. Has made some drops on easy catches, and made some insane catches. Has return ability. Our receivers are bigger, stronger, faster and younger. Like this pick a lot, Boyce has excellent intelligence as well.

7) Buchanon DE/OLB- B+: Love this pick, a grea value pick, most experts had him slated for the 3rd or 4 th round. Another pass rusher for the young Pats defense. Has room to grow, decent speed, non stop motor. Had a better season in 2011 opposite Mercilus. Still an excellent pick at this time.

7) Beauharnais ILB- C: I guess BB wanted to give Patsfans a last talking point and give us more reason to call our team Rutgers North. Nothing wrong with this pick, he was rated a 7th rounder, and that's where we got him. Kind of an undersized ILB, but at one time, a top rated high school prep LB. Like the 5 sacks in 2011, like that he was voted Defensive MVP by the Rutgers players. We shall see. Everybody passed on WR Da'Rick Rogers, but would have liked to see BB swing for the fences with Rogers on this pick.

Overall, this draft addressed some needs, we were desperate for talent in the WR department, and it's obvious that BB cares as much about talent as he does about intelligence, with Dobson and Boyce. Could be why he passed on Patterson, Hunter, Wheaton, Allen, etc.

Pass rush depth was addressed, as well as some depth in the secondary. BUT, there seemed to be questions about whether they reached on a few of the picks, hence my grade of C.

I would give it a solid C based on the "Potential" for the players BB drafted......Lets revisit this during and after the upcoming season as it could very easily turn out to be another "F" BB draft. I did hear that they are renaming Gillette Stadium. They are going to call it Rutgers University Stadium North.......

Incomplete.

Only an idiot judges people BEFORE they do anything.

Incomplete.

Only an idiot judges people BEFORE they do anything.

Then why did you comment in this thread ? It's like commenting in a thread about model airplanes saying, "only idiots like model airplanes", if you don't like this thread or don't like giving grades to the draft early, don't get involved.

i would like to know why those 7 gave the pats an F. A F in a draft is very..very hard to do. Unless you are the Redskins or Raiders ect

i would like to know why those 7 gave the pats an F. A F in a draft is very..very hard to do. Unless you are the Redskins or Raiders ect

Yeah, at the very least, you have to love the Dobson and Boyce picks just because it was such a need.

Yeah, at the very least, you have to love the Dobson and Boyce picks just because it was such a need.

Even if you like just 2 picks..it's not an F. My guess is just trolls/other teams fans

Although people do love to complain come draft time with this team

B-

Should've gotten Da'Rick Rogers

B-

Should've gotten Da'Rick Rogers

And taking Rogers would have made their draft a B+?

Dude 32 teams ALL passed on Rogers 7 times in a row. He's a UDFA. Nobody even spent a 7th on him.
Must be a MAJOR HEADCASE to fall that far and that hard all the way out of the draft.
Not worried about UDFAs. And that certainly should not affect a draft grade.

I'll give the Pats a solid B that could grow to be better once we've seen what these kids can do in camp.
At the very least they hit on all our major needs - WR, passrusher, and secondary.
Whether or not those guys pan out, the team has a PLAN in place and is well aware of what they want and the executed that plan.

The trade with the Vikes was masterful. Say it with me - FOUR for ONE. Solved the pick shortage problem instantly and Patterson is easily the most likely to bust of the early receivers taken this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST