PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you expect Cooks to finish the year with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what his final stats will be, and honestly, they could range from 60-700-5 to 100-1400-14. But what I think we will certainly see is an even more efficient and explosive Patriots offense as a whole, because either Cooks will be getting the ball or he will be opening things up for other players.

White or Lewis in the backfield. Hogan on one side, Cooks on the other, with Edelman in the slot and Gronk at TE.

White or Lewis can just tear defenses up from the backfield. Hogan led the NFL in yards per reception last year at 17.9, so he's a real deep threat. Cooks finished at 15.0 ypc last year and can burn you at every level. Gronk is Gronk, and he didn't qualify for the NFL stat leaders but he finished with 21.6 yards per reception! You simply cannot cover each of these guys one-on-one. You can't, or they'll absolutely torch you.

And that still leaves Edelman, who can run every route as well and is one of the most dangerous underneath receivers in the league. He can't really be defended on those short crossing routes one-on-one. So a defense needs to commit 7 or 8 guys to pass defense against this offense. That's what Cooks does, but not just Cooks. Cooks plus a healthy Gronk both command double teams or it's huge chunks of yards, like playing pitch and catch. So you commit four pass defenders to Gronk and Cooks, leaving you with three or four to cover White, Edelman, and Hogan. Good luck with that. You'd better get a TON of pressure on Brady using just three pass rushers.

Long story short: I don't know if Cooks' individual numbers will be spectacular. But the offense as a whole will be more explosive and more efficient and more devastating than ever before.

Assuming they stay healthy (a big assumption, I grant), I see this team putting up 35+ points a game on average, maybe even closer to 40, especially because the defense is really good too, and should be getting the ball back to the offense quickly.

Hard not to be excited about this upcoming season.

72 receptions, 940 yards, 6 TDs in the regular season. I see Cooks as a Deion Branch-like receiver which will be huge given the other weapons on the field. I doubt he scores much since he's not really a Red Zone target like the TEs, slot receivers and backs.

Hogan, Mitchell and Cooks outside the numbers is frightening to think about for opposing defenses. Corners and safeties will have to stay home leaving the linebackers exposed underneath on any down.

Lets take some guesses....where do you think he will finish stats wise?

I know we have options...but this guy is going to break OUT (Not like he already hasn't...but my good watching him in TC..i knew he was good..but this looks like top 5 stuff he is doing)
I know Brady is going to spread the ball around but Cooks is going to have a huge year. I think the Pats if healthy will shatter records.

The bottom line is if Cooks gets one on one Brady hits him, either in stride or deep. If the safety helps on Cooks too much, Gronk, Edleman, Hogan, Danny, Burkhead, one of other backs will be getting the ball. When they try to stop Cooks, we get Gronk or the rest for a bunch of yards or even TD. When they clog up on Gronk Cooks to the end zone.

I think Brady will hit 5000 yards for the second time and I hope he throws 57 TDs.

Cooks:
1400+ 18 TDs 100+ catches... (Probably too high but here's hoping)

He'll have something closer to a good Deion Branch year than a good Randy Moss year.
I agree with this. Just way too many targets to go around. I can see a 65+ 800+ 8+ type of season. That isn't a shot at Cooks, great receiver, but if Gronk and Edelman mimic those numbers, you're talking about 200 catches by 3 guys, and you still have Hogan, Amendola and Mitchell, I expect around 40 catches each from those guys. Probably 50+ catches from White and 50+ catches (total) from Burkhead/Lewis.

Overall that's over 400 completions, that's a lot. Most Brady ever had in his career was 402 completions (2015 season).

72 receptions, 940 yards, 6 TDs in the regular season. I see Cooks as a Deion Branch-like receiver which will be huge given the other weapons on the field. I doubt he scores much since he's not really a Red Zone target like the TEs, slot receivers and backs.

Hogan, Mitchell and Cooks outside the numbers is frightening to think about for opposing defenses. Corners and safeties will have to stay home leaving the linebackers exposed underneath on any down.

Just for the record, cooks is clearly better than branch ever was. I stand by that statement 100% as someone who followed branch and cooks closely throughout college and pros

Just for the record, cooks is clearly better than branch ever was. I stand by that statement 100% as someone who followed branch and cooks closely throughout college and pros
Agree 100% Cooks is at another level than Branch (even back in the college days). That being said, The Pat's offense was a lot different back in 2002-2005, it stressed the running game. I think Branch would've had Welker/Edelman type stats if they passed as much as they do now.

Brady even mentioned something to that effect to McGinnest during the interview the other day, that the offense wasn't as explosive as it is now, and they depended on the defense more. He mentioned he is a better passer now as opposed to the years Willie was there (not that he was average, I believe he led the league in TD passes in 2002).

Really? How so? Deion Branch has two Super Bowl rings and tallied 10 catches in the SB win over the Panthers, followed by a Super Bowl MVP the following year with 11 catches for 133 yards against the Eagles. Branch's return to the Patriots from Seattle was a huge factor in their return to the Super Bowl against the Giants.

Branch has a distinguished post-season record as a receiver: Deion Branch Playoffs Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Cooks? Has not played an NFL postseason game.

Branch's yards per reception with the Patriots? 13.1
Cooks' yards per reception with the Saints? 13.3

Very similar receivers. Cooks has a lot more competition for targets than Branch did

I like Brandin Cooks a lot. He impressed at camp last week when I was there. But, let's wait and see how Cooks does in this offense, and how much Brady really trusts this guy when the pressure is on. We know that Brady trusts Hogan and Mitchell when he needs a first down, and we've seen other elite guys not work out in New England.

Ugh, yeah so I'm not down on Cooks at all. I just think expectations are way too high for this guy given that we don't know how he'll adapt to our offense and there's just so freaking many targets on this team.

Really? How so? Deion Branch has two Super Bowl rings and tallied 10 catches in the SB win over the Panthers, followed by a Super Bowl MVP the following year with 11 catches for 133 yards against the Eagles. Branch's return to the Patriots from Seattle was a huge factor in their return to the Super Bowl against the Giants.

Branch has a distinguished post-season record as a receiver: Deion Branch Playoffs Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Very similar receivers. Cooks has a lot more competition for targets than Branch did

I like Brandin Cooks a lot. He impressed at camp last week when I was there. But, let's wait and see how Cooks does in this offense, and how much Brady really trusts this guy when the pressure is on. We know that Brady trusts Hogan and Mitchell when he needs a first down, and we've seen other elite guys not work out in New England.
I don't buy this argument. There are plenty of elite receivers who have never or barely sniffed the playoffs. Branch was very good with New England but Cooks has elite talent and more potential. And stat wise? Branch only got close to 1000 yards one time in his entire career. Cooks has already done it two times.

In any case I think this little debate will be settled not far into the season.

JE's wrath for being Brady's go-to guy :D

Agree with the Ring option and I would add, a Juicy new Contract:D

Cooks won't be one of them. And I am very confident that Brady will gain a lot of trust in Cooks.

a duck boat ride

Cooks first three years in the league

215 catches, 2861 yards, 20 TD

Branch first three years in league

135 catches, 1446 yards, 9 TD

Actually here's branches 3 best years over a 11 year career

196 catches, 2619 yards, 16 TD

So even in branchs 3 peak years, they weren't as good as Cooks first three years

Branch in 11 years never once got a 1000 yard season or more than 6 TD in a season. Cooks before his 24th birthday as already accomplished that twice. No comparison

If you want the eye test: Cooks is faster, creates better separation, runs a better route tree, catches the ball better in traffic, more athletic, physically stronger. They both are equal in IQ, work ethic, and hands. Branch is more clutch, but cooks hasn't had opportunity to prove himself yet. production wise both in high school and college, cooks blows branch out of the water.

"We've seen other elite guys not work out in New England"

Oh really who? Please name them. Name me an elite WR under the age of 30 who put up cooks like numbers in his prior season, who didn't workout in New England?

You won't be able to come up with one

Ochocinco- 33 years old

Tory holt- 34 years old

Joey Galloway- 37 years old

Reggie Wayne- 36 year old

So we have seen declining former great WRs in there 30s who lost there legs come here and not work out, but who are these elite 24 year old 1100 yard WRs who didn't work out in New England?

Last edited:

So even in branchs 3 peak years, they weren't as good as Cooks first three years

Branch in 11 years never once got a 1000 yard season or more than 6 TD in a season. Cooks before his 24th birthday as already accomplished that twice. No comparison

If you want the eye test: Cooks is faster, creates better separation, runs a better route tree, catches the ball better in traffic, more athletic, physically stronger. They both are equal in IQ, work ethic, and hands. Branch is more clutch, but cooks hasn't had opportunity to prove himself yet. production wise both in high school and college, cooks blows branch out of the water.

"We've seen other elite guys not work out in New England"

Oh really who? Please name them. Name me an elite WR under the age of 30 who put up cooks like numbers in his prior season, who didn't workout in New England?

You won't be able to come up with one

Ochocinco- 33 years old

Tory holt- 34 years old

Joey Galloway- 37 years old

Reggie Wayne- 36 year old

So we have seen declining former great WRs in there 30s who lost there legs come here and not work out, but who are these elite 24 year old 1100 yard WRs who didn't work out in New England?

That is all great but the league was different back when Branch was in his prime in 2003-2006 etc. There was just a great article about how the 2007 Pats changed the game and its been evolving ever since. And that was 10 years ago! The NFL is much more pass happy now then even in 2007 and much more in the past few years, so you can't make a direct comparison between the two like this. I think Cooks is great and will be great here but lets put things in perspective a bit.

Last edited:

Given the times Branch played v. the times Cooks played
Given the fact that Branch missed a lot of games in 2004, when he was playing excellent football
Given the systems Branch played in when healthy and in his ascending/prime years v. the systems Cooks played in when healthy

Your use of statistics is pretty meaningless, and you'd be crazy to take Cook, in his first 3 years, over Branch 2004-2005.

Given the times Branch played v. the times Cooks played
Given the fact that Branch missed a lot of games in 2004, when he was playing excellent football
Given the systems Branch played in when healthy and in his ascending/prime years v. the systems Cooks played in when healthy

Your use of statistics is pretty meaningless, and you'd be crazy to take Cook, in his first 3 years, over Branch 2004-2005.

Ill say it again. Cooks is better than branch, and will go down as having the better career when it is all said and done. Check back with me in 10 years.

And yes, I would take 2017 version of Brandin Cooks over any version of Deion Branch.

I was a huge branch fan too, huge

I have no expectations of Cooks or any Patriots player. I only have hopes!

And my greatest hope is that Brady and Cooks develop one of those relationships where Cooks knows where to go because Brady is beaming his thoughts to him

My second hope is that Edelman gets incredibly jealous! He's just too chummy with the great one for my tastes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes