PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What DB do you like?

Has anyone watched S Philip Thomas of Fresno State? Leads the country in INTs with 7 and is starting to have good things said about him. Could be a possible riser.

Has anyone watched S Philip Thomas of Fresno State? Leads the country in INTs with 7 and is starting to have good things said about him. Could be a possible riser.

There's this from Bucky Brooks:

One of the players creating the biggest buzz in the scouting community is Fresno State's Phillip Thomas. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound free safety has been outstanding this season after missing most of 2011 with a broken leg and dislocated ankle. Thomas leads the nation with seven interceptions, including three pick-sixes, and possesses the skill set scouts covet in deep-middle defenders. Most impressively, Thomas displays the cover skills and athleticism to defend slot receivers and tight ends in space. I spoke with an NFC scout familiar with Thomas and he raved about his ball skills, toughness and physicality. With few safeties providing the ability to thrive as a run or pass defender, Thomas could attract a lot of attention from teams looking for a playmaker in the middle of the field.

Aaron Murray, Landry Jones among college prospects to watch - NFL.com

Bradley McDougald, S, Kansas
plays both FS and SS, played WR his first two years, solid frame at 6-1 209. Weiss said he was as good as anybody on the team, seams like a Belichick player offense/defense/special teams. I wouldn't mind spending a late round pick on him.
Both McDougald and Thomas could be real sleepers in the draft. McDougald is a tackling machine with versatility to play many positions. I like Thomas but biggest questions are 40 yd speed which range from 4.46 to 4.68 and injuries including broken leg and dislocated ankle. However, he was added to the Bednarik list on October 25th.

Last edited:

I asked about him a couple weeks ago. Nobody replied. I checked him out when I saw a Fresno game on tv. I wactched him for about two quarters but I wasn't that impressed. If I was impressed I would have kept watching but there were other games on.

Sounds interesting. The Pats could definitely use a ballhawking cover safety. I wonder where Philip Thomas is slotted to go, sounds like a late riser.

Phillip Thomas - 2012 Draft Tracker - SI.com
Hmm Thomas is slotted as a 7th round pick. I guess it doesn't hurt to gamble that late in the draft.

What about Desmond Trufant? Anyone know if he would be a fit or when he's projected to go? He's apparently the younger brother of Marcus Trufant. So he has the bloodlines in addition to the apparent talent.v
UW cornerback Desmond Trufant’s a keeper | UW Huskies - The News Tribune

Sounds interesting. The Pats could definitely use a ballhawking cover safety. I wonder where Philip Thomas is slotted to go, sounds like a late riser.

Phillip Thomas - 2012 Draft Tracker - SI.com
Hmm Thomas is slotted as a 7th round pick. I guess it doesn't hurt to gamble that late in the draft.

What about Desmond Trufant? Anyone know if he would be a fit or when he's projected to go? He's apparently the younger brother of Marcus Trufant. So he has the bloodlines in addition to the apparent talent.v
UW cornerback Desmond Trufant’s a keeper | UW Huskies - The News Tribune

I've only seen Trufant a couple of times and liked him but he does seem fairly divisive in the draft community, talked of as anything between a 2nd and a 4th rounder type.

Starting to get really intrigued by Logan Ryan, a junior CB out of Rutgers to the extent that I might feature him as a 2nd rounder in my next mock. Watching him does remind me of McCourty and whilst McCourty might not have been the shutdown guy his rookie season suggested, he is still a skilled CB, albeit occasionally mistake ridden. Now I'm starting to think that McCourty could be a leading NFL safety so my plan is to keep him there and draft Logan Ryan in the second or third round to partner Dennard.

Ryan has very good coverage skills, plays physical and supports the run well. Rutgers is clearly a Belichick favourite (Ryan is still part of the Schiano pipeline) and the McCourty twins have both been effective to good NFL CB's so he's prepared well for the step up. I think it was Tony Pauline who said that Ryan is likely to come out this year.

Judge for yourself:

Logan Ryan vs Iowa State 2011 - YouTube

Starting to get really intrigued by Logan Ryan, a junior CB out of Rutgers to the extent that I might feature him as a 2nd rounder in my next mock. Watching him does remind me of McCourty and whilst McCourty might not have been the shutdown guy his rookie season suggested, he is still a skilled CB, albeit occasionally mistake ridden. Now I'm starting to think that McCourty could be a leading NFL safety so my plan is to keep him there and draft Logan Ryan in the second or third round to partner Dennard.

Ryan has very good coverage skills, plays physical and supports the run well. Rutgers is clearly a Belichick favourite (Ryan is still part of the Schiano pipeline) and the McCourty twins have both been effective to good NFL CB's so he's prepared well for the step up. I think it was Tony Pauline who said that Ryan is likely to come out this year.

Judge for yourself:

Logan Ryan vs Iowa State 2011 - YouTube

Might be shortlived putting Ryan in my mock because I've started to fall a little in love with Micah Hyde of Iowa:

Micah Hyde vs Pittsburgh 2011 - YouTube

Micah Hyde vs Michigan State & Penn State (2012) - YouTube

I see him as a better version of Tavon Wilson in that he can play CB but may be better at safety. Apparently he's very good on special teams, is clearly a strong tackler, good ball skills although without elite athleticism. Was arrested albeit only for public intoxication so I don't think his stock will be adversly affected - he's currently being projected in the 4th to 5th rounds. McCourty, Wilson and Hyde will give us plenty of options in the secondary.

Additionally, with so many BB chums in the Big 10 (and two of our draftees from there last year) we should get good information on him.

Micah Hyde NFL Draft Scouting Report | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Micah Hyde

https://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/tag/micah-hyde/

I have to go back to Alabama. CB Miller and FS Lester are really playing well and would fit right into our defense.

I have to go back to Alabama. CB Miller and FS Lester are really playing well and would fit right into our defense.

I presume you mean Milliner. He's my favourite CB in the draft but unless we stink it up for the rest of the season, we won't get him. I'm warming to Lester but I just don't see anything extraordinary about him. Won't say no though as long as it's not the first round.

I presume you mean Milliner. He's my favourite CB in the draft but unless we stink it up for the rest of the season, we won't get him. I'm warming to Lester but I just don't see anything extraordinary about him. Won't say no though as long as it's not the first round.

Can see lions wanna trade for a safety.. Pick Gregory or Chung and get a 3 rounder or so back ? Then use it to trade up in the draft :)

Can see lions wanna trade for a safety.. Pick Gregory or Chung and get a 3 rounder or so back ? Then use it to trade up in the draft :)

In my dreams. I'd take a 3rd rounder in 2025.

Outside of the big names, i like Philip Thomas, Josh Evans, Stafford, Logan Ryan and Micah Hyde.
Im sure some of those will rise and someone else will come out of nowhere in the next few months but right now my idea would be: keep away from db's in the first 2 rounds and get one or a combination of these guys later on.

Last edited:
Anybody like DJ Hayden? He almost died yesterday, but could be a buy low option in April.

Sources with knowledge of Hayden's situation told FOX 26 the main blood vessel that leads to Hayden's heart was torn and if it was not for the quick action of the medical staff at the University of Houston and doctors at Memorial Hermann, the injury could have been fatal.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family," said UH coach Tony Levine. "The thing I can confirm is that he is done for the season playing here at the University of Houston.

UH cornerback D.J. Hayden suffers injury that could have been fa - Houston weather, traffic, news | FOX 26 | MyFoxHouston

He is the 20th ranked corner and the 170th ranked player overall.

A Reminder:

Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State

Snr, 5-10, 190 lbs, 4.38 - 4.49 40

5696038.jpg

I just want to link this again because it's my favourite video of the whole process so far. I know it's just a highlight reel, but this is my type of CB. He's exclusively the LCB.

Leon McFadden Highlights - YouTube

“They don’t try to hide him, either,” Baldwin said. “They put him on islands where it’s man coverage, and that’s what’s impressive about it. He gets locked up man-on-man, and that’s what the NFL’s going to love about him.”

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20121011/SPORTS/310110060/McFadden-cornerstone-Aztecs-D-

What's really frustrating is that there aren't any SDSU games on ESPN Player so I haven't been able to watch him all year.

Over at nepatriotsdraft.com they had an article on Ohio St CB Bradley Roby. Here's a piece of it:

Roby is a shutdown cornerback and a big playmaker. He has tremendous ball skills, which is why he leads the nation with 18 passes defended this season. And while he makes big plays, he rarely gets beat to allow them. When he does get beat, he has tremendous recovery speed that often gives him the ability to get back in the play and make a play on the football.

At 5’11’’ and 190 pounds, Roby is not a big corner, but the rest of his skill set helps him make up for it. He has tremendous athletic ability, including what is likely to be sub-4.4 speed and great leaping ability. He plays aggressively and physically, and is a sound tackler in addition to being terrific in pass coverage at any level.

He's only a redshirt sophomore and they're talking about him going in the first if he declares. Of course theres the Meyer connection at OSU so Bill should be able to get some good info on him. I'm hoping for a cb early so I want him to declare. If Milliner Banks and SDSU CB's all go before him he should be in our range.

A Reminder:

Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State

Snr, 5-10, 190 lbs, 4.38 - 4.49 40

5696038.jpg

I just want to link this again because it's my favourite video of the whole process so far. I know it's just a highlight reel, but this is my type of CB. He's exclusively the LCB.

Leon McFadden Highlights - YouTube

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20121011/SPORTS/310110060/McFadden-cornerstone-Aztecs-D-

What's really frustrating is that there aren't any SDSU games on ESPN Player so I haven't been able to watch him all year.

Finally been able to watch him. Some thoughts:

1. He's not the most physical and struggles to fight defenders blocking him, but he still seems able to make the tackle and he rarely fails - Is an outstanding tackler.

2. Doesn't play a huge amount of press and might not have the strength to do so on a play by play basis so if that's our direction, he might not be a good fit.

3. But he's an outstanding cover CB, rarely gives the receiver anything, has very smooth hips, almost never makes mistakes.

Because of his lack of physicality and elite athleticism, he's not a first rounder. I see him very much like Casey Hayward, albeit with better man coverage skills. He's a 2nd-3rd rounder for sure.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back