PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are your expectations for Rob Gronkowski in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Rob has not played football in nearly a year, he had 5 surgeries during that period, and based on an eye evaluation he looks to have lost a significant amount of body mass. With those things in mind what are you expecting Gronkowski to contribute the rest of the way?

My personal opinion is that he will be a factor in the passing game with the same effectiveness as in years past, however he will not be as big a factor in the blocking game, it will likely take him a full offseason to regain the muscle mass lost between the arm and back surgeries. I anticipate initially that Gronkowski will see the bulk of his reps in the flex tight end role allowing him to avoid the physical abuse when playing the in line tight end.

Just my thoughts; I am looking forward to hearing some others.

With all of the uncertainty going around is have no issue if he were to pull a D Rose and shut it down for the year. I don't want his longevity being put at risk. They rushed him back lady year I hope it doesn't get repeated this year.

After all the stuff I have read, I have ZERO expectations. I doubt that he will play a down of football this season.

If he doesn't play this week then something is definitely wrong and he goes on IR.

IF he comes back (and I think he will)...

He won't be as effective as years past for 3 reasons:
1. It will take nearly the whole season before he's truly back in football shape
2. He will be the primary offensive weapon defenses account for. (Previously this was Welker and there was also a better supporting run/short passing game from the RBs that allowed him to get open.)
3. I don't think the OL is blocking as well as years past either. If that's true it limits the amount of slow developing plays the offense can run. (Like routes a large TE would run, for example.)

I've said it in other threads- he will help. But anyone who expects him to suddenly get us doing the 30burger trick again probably has the mark set too high even for a player of his caliber.

Rob has not played football in nearly a year, he had 5 surgeries during that period, and based on an eye evaluation he looks to have lost a significant amount of body mass. With those things in mind what are you expecting Gronkowski to contribute the rest of the way?

My personal opinion is that he will be a factor in the passing game with the same effectiveness as in years past, however he will not be as big a factor in the blocking game, it will likely take him a full offseason to regain the muscle mass lost between the arm and back surgeries. I anticipate initially that Gronkowski will see the bulk of his reps in the flex tight end role allowing him to avoid the physical abuse when playing the in line tight end.

Just my thoughts; I am looking forward to hearing some others.

Blocking, especially at the TE position has mcuh more to do with technique, agility and ability than with strength.

Right now...think it will be another month till he plays

I doubt that he will play a down of football this season.

disappointed1.gif

IF he comes back (and I think he will)...

He won't be as effective as years past for 3 reasons:
1. It will take nearly the whole season before he's truly back in football shape
Not sure I agree with this, since all injured players who are ready to start camp are in football shape in a few weeks.

2. He will be the primary offensive weapon defenses account for. (Previously this was Welker and there was also a better supporting run/short passing game from the RBs that allowed him to get open.)
I've never understood this logic. If the best player is the one every defense focusses on, and therefore they cannot be effective, how are they ever the best player to begin with?
Defenses defend plays. They don't defned players. If a team accentuates a player in the majority of their play calls, he will get more attention because the play revovles around him. The good ones make plays under those circumstances.

3. I don't think the OL is blocking as well as years past either. If that's true it limits the amount of slow developing plays the offense can run. (Like routes a large TE would run, for example.)
Good point. Hopefully it will not be an issue.

I've said it in other threads- he will help. But anyone who expects him to suddenly get us doing the 30burger trick again probably has the mark set too high even for a player of his caliber.
There is a very thin line between a talented group of offensive players clicking or struggling. Adding the best TE in the league in place of the worst can tip the scales pretty easily.

If he doesn't play this week then something is definitely wrong and he goes on IR.
What if 'somethng wrong' is he just is not quite ready yet?
If he projected to be back by week 17 I would not IR him.

Not sure I agree with this, since all injured players who are ready to start camp are in football shape in a few weeks.

I've never understood this logic. If the best player is the one every defense focusses on, and therefore they cannot be effective, how are they ever the best player to begin with?
Defenses defend plays. They don't defned players. If a team accentuates a player in the majority of their play calls, he will get more attention because the play revovles around him. The good ones make plays under those circumstances.

Good point. Hopefully it will not be an issue.

There is a very thin line between a talented group of offensive players clicking or struggling. Adding the best TE in the league in place of the worst can tip the scales pretty easily.

Sorry. You make some good points and I should probably clarify a few things I said.

With regard to the best player being the defensive focus and hence not being effective, I'm certainly not saying he can't be effective. However, I would expect being a defensive focus to result in a lower YA|C number and possibly have some sort of impact on reception percentage. I would also expect it to impact the number of targets if he is double-covered more often. I don't think you can render Gronk useless, but I do think you can bring his numbers down from what they were.

With regard to football shape, I'd be willing to concede the point. However, i think there's a difference of a player that is able to work out periodically during the offseason and one who is not. And one who further has had major surgeries and an infection stemming from that. I would assume the timeframe for him to get back into football shape would be longer (especially since he probably carried more muscle mass than the "average" NFL player.) The NFL season is only 17 weeks long, so I'd think a big portion of that gets eaten up by him bulking up. This is all conjecture on my part and an attempt on my part to try to apply logic to the circumstance. It very well could be wrong due to lack of specific knowledge and I'd love to hear more on the subject.

I'm more worried about his willingness to block
than his willingness to be the tough pass catching Gronk we have seen before.

None. No on-field expectations.

If Gronk isn't ready to play in week 6 based on a surgical procedure to his forearm, to repair "bone" that occured over 6 months ago then he isn't going to be ready in 3 or 4 more weeks-- that's for sure. This isn't a soft tissue tear we're talking about....if the bone isn't stable now, then it isn't getting any more stable in another 6 weeks.

Gronk and the team need to decide if he's going to play or not. Stop with all this "day to day" BS when it concerns a repaired forearm. "Day to day" is a minor soft tissue ailment....not a decision on whether a bone is stable enough for collision.

I expect him to man up and play or let the team know he isn't mentally or physically healthy enough to do so in 2013.

Blocking, especially at the TE position has mcuh more to do with technique, agility and ability than with strength.

I agree completely but if your favoring an arm by compensating with the other arm your its is going to impact your technique and ability. In terms of agility I would think a year out of football will limit that initially, add to that much of agility and explosiveness comes from the core muscles which the back surgery limited his ability to train. Just my thoughts I very well could be wrong.

Whatever they are, they are fading fast...

0 receptions 0 yards 0 TDs

:(

What if 'somethng wrong' is he just is not quite ready yet?
If he projected to be back by week 17 I would not IR him.

If reports are to be believe (and that's a big if) then they are only holding him back because of some strange abscess/infection that makes his arm fragile. I don't pretend to be a doctor but I don't think something like that would heal properly without some season ending surgery.

Then again I think he is more likely to play this weekend then not. Or maybe that is just my wishful thinking.

Right now...think it will be another month till he plays

...for one series in which he suffers another freak arm break while running into Danny Amendola who also suffers a season ending injury on the play :bricks:

There will be a BUNCH of moaning and groaning on this site, he'll be placed on season ending IR, and people will then talk about alternative options for TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes