SOURCE:WEEI

SOURCE:Boston Herald

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

What about a doomsday contract for Brady?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Ice_Ice_Brady, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Jlaff

Jlaff Early Bird Specials PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +3,435
    I don't think that's too crazy. Brady can do whatever he wants. He's earned the money he's seeking. But if I wanted to win, and had close to a billion already, I would play at league minimum. But that's just me, 10 million (total bank account) would make me happy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33,900
    Mo money, mo problems.

3. Ring 6

Ring 6 PatsFans.com Wall of Fame Member

Ratings:
    +8,082
    A) why doesn’t he play for free????
    B) That doesn’t explain why the team wants to implode when he is done

4. primetime

primetime PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16,123
    Not really sure what's even being accomplished here. Guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus is paid out upon signing and pro-rated against the cap over the life of the contract, you can't push cap hits to future years (you can spin salary into a bonus as a restructure but it still gets pro-rated over the remaining life of the contract, so your cap reduction in a given year is never equal to the restructured amount). The only way to do what you're trying to do here for a single year would be in the form of a workout or roster bonus, and those would not be collectable if he retired, full stop (and the potential labor implications of allowing him to collect them would be massive for the league). Doesn't work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +36,457
    It really does make sense. Aside from the proverbial "respect" factor, what's another $25 million for a man who probably has 20 times that banked already (including Gisele's contribution)? If Brady went to the Pats and said he'd play one or two more seasons for league minimum stipulating that the rest be used to surround him with elite weapons, he'd be recognized as a legend beyond football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tottie

Tottie Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +688
    I don't agree with your premise but I am curious if that contract would be approved by the league? Do they care if Brady signs a 2 year minimum deal? I know what the NFLPA would think of that but I guess my question is ..would it get approved? Could the league block it for 'protecting the brand' or whatever other deal they want to make up? I think the idea is silly to ask Brady to take that deal but I would be very happy if he did, obviously. If BB called him up and proposed this to him and made Tom feel like they need him..do you think he might do even consider it? I bet in his bones he actually doesn't care at all about the money.

7. Tottie

Tottie Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +688
    To add to the point above. BB calls TB in and says we have 2 contracts for you and you can choose either one. One is a 2 year 50 mil deal with 40 million guaranteed. We wish it could be more you've earned it. The other is a 3 year vet minimum deal. You can choose which either one you like and either way LFG next year. Does Tom choose option B?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +36,457
    I don't believe the NFLPA could say anything about Brady signing for the league minimum at his experience level if that's what he wants. Whether he would take a minimum deal depends on how attached he is to money symbolizing "respect." If he could transcend that on a personal level to facilitate another title run it would be incredible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  9. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,316
    One thing reducing the likelihood of such a contract: per the CBA, any fully-guaranteed money in future years has to be placed in escrow at the time the money becomes guaranteed. So that contract would tie up $60M of the team's cash from day one.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tasmlab

tasmlab Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,807

I like this idea, certainly as a hypothetical.

It means throwing 2022 and probably 2023 in the garbage can, with a 71 year old Belichick. Although a rookie, first round QB comes with that who is somewhere between Brady Quinn and Patrick Mahomes.

If Brady goes down with injury next pre-season? Then it's like four years lost at sea. It may end up that way anyways.

I guess in the end I wouldn't want to get too cute with shennanigans and just play the game like the rest of the league and compete within the same parameters as other teams. And not lock the team into something too draconian in case they need to adjust to new issues as they arise.

11. tasmlab

tasmlab Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,807
    Does the money in escrow tie up Cap space or does is just tie up $60MM of RKK's assets?

12. Biffins

Biffins In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,917
    Not caring much and not caring at all are very different things.

And to the extent that it signals the respect he gets, he could make it a bone of contention. He's happy to give a discount, but that's not the same as working for free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KontradictioN

KontradictioN PatsFans.com #1 Arguer PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57,227
    Brady should be paying the Patriots for the great honor of playing for Robert Kraft. Only a jerkoff would think otherwise.

14. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,316
    The former is a hypothetical concern until the start of the league year in question (e.g, a team can be over the cap for 2020 as of today), but the answer is both.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,629
    why should he risk his body and give up time with his family without compensation?

• Agree Agree x 1