PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What about a doomsday contract for Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady should be playing for free, he has too much money already.
I don't think that's too crazy. Brady can do whatever he wants. He's earned the money he's seeking. But if I wanted to win, and had close to a billion already, I would play at league minimum. But that's just me, 10 million (total bank account) would make me happy.

I don't think that's too crazy. Brady can do whatever he wants. He's earned the money he's seeking. But if I wanted to win, and had close to a billion already, I would play at league minimum. But that's just me, 10 million (total bank account) would make me happy.

Mo money, mo problems.

a) because he and his wife have a lot already
b) because he's Tom****ingBrady
A) why doesn’t he play for free????
B) That doesn’t explain why the team wants to implode when he is done

Not really sure what's even being accomplished here. Guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus is paid out upon signing and pro-rated against the cap over the life of the contract, you can't push cap hits to future years (you can spin salary into a bonus as a restructure but it still gets pro-rated over the remaining life of the contract, so your cap reduction in a given year is never equal to the restructured amount). The only way to do what you're trying to do here for a single year would be in the form of a workout or roster bonus, and those would not be collectable if he retired, full stop (and the potential labor implications of allowing him to collect them would be massive for the league). Doesn't work.

I don't think that's too crazy. Brady can do whatever he wants. He's earned the money he's seeking. But if I wanted to win, and had close to a billion already, I would play at league minimum.
It really does make sense. Aside from the proverbial "respect" factor, what's another $25 million for a man who probably has 20 times that banked already (including Gisele's contribution)? If Brady went to the Pats and said he'd play one or two more seasons for league minimum stipulating that the rest be used to surround him with elite weapons, he'd be recognized as a legend beyond football.

It really does make sense. Aside from the proverbial "respect" factor, what's another $25 million for a man who probably has 20 times that banked already (including Gisele's contribution)? If Brady went to the Pats and said he'd play one or two more seasons for league minimum stipulating that the rest be used to surround him with elite weapons, he'd be recognized as a legend beyond football.
I don't agree with your premise but I am curious if that contract would be approved by the league? Do they care if Brady signs a 2 year minimum deal? I know what the NFLPA would think of that but I guess my question is ..would it get approved? Could the league block it for 'protecting the brand' or whatever other deal they want to make up? I think the idea is silly to ask Brady to take that deal but I would be very happy if he did, obviously. If BB called him up and proposed this to him and made Tom feel like they need him..do you think he might do even consider it? I bet in his bones he actually doesn't care at all about the money.

To add to the point above. BB calls TB in and says we have 2 contracts for you and you can choose either one. One is a 2 year 50 mil deal with 40 million guaranteed. We wish it could be more you've earned it. The other is a 3 year vet minimum deal. You can choose which either one you like and either way LFG next year. Does Tom choose option B?

Last edited:
I don't agree with your premise but I am curious if that contract would be approved by the league? Do they care if Brady signs a 2 year minimum deal? I know what the NFLPA would think of that but I guess my question is ..would it get approved? Could the league block it for 'protecting the brand' or whatever other deal they want to make up? I think the idea is silly to ask Brady to take that deal but I would be very happy if he did, obviously. If BB called him up and proposed this to him and made Tom feel like they need him..do you think he might do even consider it? I bet in his bones he actually doesn't care at all about the money.
I don't believe the NFLPA could say anything about Brady signing for the league minimum at his experience level if that's what he wants. Whether he would take a minimum deal depends on how attached he is to money symbolizing "respect." If he could transcend that on a personal level to facilitate another title run it would be incredible.

Last edited:
One thing reducing the likelihood of such a contract: per the CBA, any fully-guaranteed money in future years has to be placed in escrow at the time the money becomes guaranteed. So that contract would tie up $60M of the team's cash from day one.

Proposed contract:

3 years
$80M

Sign on bonus of $10M (or $80M spread out over three years with almost all of It hitting in year 3, if that can be done.)

Guaranteed Payout in 2020: $1M (plus half remainder of dead cap from last deal)
Guaranteed Payout 2021: $9 (plus half remainder of dead cap from last deal)
Guaranteed Payout in 2022: $60M (Edit: workout bonus perhaps)

2022 is a fully guaranteed year and the bill comes due. If Brady retires, they’ll still need to pay it as signing bonus or with some clause about converting base salary into another type of guaranteed bonus. With very small cap hits in 2021 and 2022, the Patriots will be able to stack their team with star players to surround Tom.

In 2022, the Patriots pay Brady $60M as he exits. The team goes into tear down mode for a season and must rebuild. Brady probably retires before the season.

This isn’t all that much different from front-loading the contract in the form of a heavy sign-on bonus and most of the money pushed to year 1 and 2. Tom would just need to be patient in collecting his money, and he has always been willing to work out creative deals.

Cap experts, what is the extent that this can be done?

Is this something that can be done? Realistic? Seems like the only chance to compete at a very high
level for the next two years. Otherwise this team isn’t going anywhere, though Tom may be. We’ve seen teams kick cap hits down the road. Does this scenario necessitate a very extreme case of doing this?

I like this idea, certainly as a hypothetical.

It means throwing 2022 and probably 2023 in the garbage can, with a 71 year old Belichick. Although a rookie, first round QB comes with that who is somewhere between Brady Quinn and Patrick Mahomes.

If Brady goes down with injury next pre-season? Then it's like four years lost at sea. It may end up that way anyways.

I guess in the end I wouldn't want to get too cute with shennanigans and just play the game like the rest of the league and compete within the same parameters as other teams. And not lock the team into something too draconian in case they need to adjust to new issues as they arise.

One thing reducing the likelihood of such a contract: per the CBA, any fully-guaranteed money in future years has to be placed in escrow at the time the money becomes guaranteed. So that contract would tie up $60M of the team's cash from day one.

Does the money in escrow tie up Cap space or does is just tie up $60MM of RKK's assets?

Not caring much and not caring at all are very different things.

And to the extent that it signals the respect he gets, he could make it a bone of contention. He's happy to give a discount, but that's not the same as working for free.

Brady should be paying the Patriots for the great honor of playing for Robert Kraft. Only a jerkoff would think otherwise.

Does the money in escrow tie up Cap space or does is just tie up $60MM of RKK's assets?

The former is a hypothetical concern until the start of the league year in question (e.g, a team can be over the cap for 2020 as of today), but the answer is both.

why should he risk his body and give up time with his family without compensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots