PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a weird postseason...

Easy to root for Tom and Gronk, no hard feelings toward either from this corner. Any post-season where Pitt, Rodgers and KC (Mahomes in particular) fail is a huge win. Watching TB12 and #87 made the playoffs feel important.

I want to see how Bill rebuilds this team and deffo want them to beat Tampa next year! Go Pats!

Easy to root for Tom and Gronk, no hard feelings toward either from this corner. Any post-season where Pitt, Rodgers and KC (Mahomes in particular) fail is a huge win. Watching TB12 and #87 made the playoffs feel important.

I want to see how Bill rebuilds this team and deffo want them to beat Tampa next year! Go Pats!
For me : even EASIER to root against Hill. Always root against Hill, you’ll find your way...

NE went to 14 AFCCGs and won 9. Brady leaves and Bill still comes close to a .500 year with the shell of Cam Newton at QB. Brady wins the Super Bowl elsewhere. I think it says a lot about how good both men are.
Doesn't it say Brady can still be great without Belichick? I mean, it's a fact. Brady won a Super Bowl with another head coach. Belichick has had 8 full seasons with other quarterbacks and none of those seasons were truly successful. None. Not even one divisional title, 0-8, when together Brady and Belichick won 17 division titles in 18 seasons. How does 7-9, even with a stiff at quarterback (chosen by Belichick by the way), say "a lot about how good Belichick is"?

Doesn't it say Brady can still be great without Belichick? I mean, it's a fact. Brady won a Super Bowl with another head coach. Belichick has had 8 full seasons with other quarterbacks and none of those seasons were truly successful. None. Not even one divisional title, 0-8, when together Brady and Belichick won 17 division titles in 18 seasons. How does 7-9, even with a stiff at quarterback (chosen by Belichick by the way), say "a lot about how good Belichick is"?
The 11-5 Matt Cassel season does count. They didn't win the division (they lost the tiebreaker to Miami, who was also 11-5) but that was still an impressive year given the circumstances. You can talk about the talent they had on offense, but Cassel still had to get them the football and not turn it over.

I thought it was a pretty standard postseason, Brady won a ring at the end.

Reactions: Ian
This. 100% This. It was fun, yet I didn't care about the outcome because we weren't in it.
I'm almost with you except a Bucs loss would fuel the fires of the anti Brady crowd from not only some on our fan base but jealous fan bases from the rest of the league.

Last edited:
I dont blame Brady for leaving and Im happy that he got 7. Nobody works harder or sacrifices more than Brady. Brady took less money here so BB could afford good players. Conditions did not improve on the offensive playmaker side of the ball and in fact, they got worse. Brady had to leave. Hopefully, post 2020 Super Bowl, BB looks in the mirror and sees the guy who he did a poor job finding good new WRs and TEs.

Gronk on the other hand is an axxhole. He strung the fans along through 2019 about a Patriot comeback. All he has done in Tampa is rip the way BB coaches and runs his team.

a few decades ago, I used to listen to WQAM in MIami. They had two Doofin maniacs on in the afternoon, I think one was Joe Rose(?)...anyway, after almost every segment they had this recorded blurb that described the basic content of all the callers calling in...Danny and Jimmy! Jimmy no Danny! Danny and Jimmy!!! Jimmy and Danny...!"...sounded like a bunch of ******ed parrots squawking non-stop over and over, every day, day after day, month after excruciating month..for years. THIS is what this facackta "Brady!! No Bill!" whinefest brings to mind...the same nutjob whiny complaining passion play. MOVE ON for krissakes....

Dare I say it, but what made the playoff games better this year was less crowd noise.
No fans and crowd noise sucks

As a Pats fan, I was never high on Brady as a human being or anything other than being the QB for the Pats. I never believed that he made Belichick a better coach. I did believe that Belichick made Brady a better QB. In the last few years with Brady as QB for the Pats, I saw a performance decline. I was ready for Brady to leave or retire. The way he quit on the team was OK with me. He went to a team that would make up for his QB shortfalls. He shored up that team by getting them to add even more targets, actually the only ones to score in the Superbowl. He has surrounded himself with superior talent. He is still good not great but good and with this additional superior talent around him he should win another SB next season. This all said Brady left my football mind the day he left the Pats. So my last season's COVID NFL football season was non existent not because of Brady but because of COVID. I didn't think the NFL should have had a season but they did. I didn't watch much football because it didn't represent my NFL football. So last season wasn't a waste, for me it didn't exist. I didn't adjust for anything, I wasn't involved. I watched the first half of the SB, and then turned it off out of boredom. I look forward to the return of the NFL after COVID.

Last edited:
Ironically, since I've watched the Patriots win so much at this point, and with superior coaching, I find myself having an easier time find things to praise about bad teams. Even when we were clear cut winners, we lost enough to what were supposed to be easy wins, reminding you that any team can win.

And I think that's what makes Belichick great. With the exception of SB52, which I'll never, ever understand, he has a pretty good track record of giving your the most opportunities to win. Brady was so damn good at executing them, and can create a lot himself. So I feel like we should be both:

- *Really good at evaluating QB skill, knwoing the difference between a QB that can find and hit wild passes with ease after the snap, and a QB that makes the most opportunities before the snap.

- *Really good at seeing the capacity of bad teams, including our own.

So I just keep thinking about that; what we can accomplish. That helps me appreciate even the weirdest off-season I can remember.

*Really Good in terms of relatively.

I thought the rule was if Brady is mentioned more than twice on a thread it ends up in the Tom Brady forum?

What gives?

I thought the rule was if Brady is mentioned more than twice on a thread it ends up in the Tom Brady forum?

What gives?

if you were referring to my post, I didn't know the rule. my bad, I am sorry.

Gronk on the other hand is an axxhole. He strung the fans along through 2019 about a Patriot comeback. All he has done in Tampa is rip the way BB coaches and runs his team.
The timing of Gronk's string-along is what hurt the Pats the most. That left us out of the market for any FA TEs. It came across as intentional too.

My philosophy on players who leave for any reason is just don't bad-mouth the team after you leave. Brady hasn't. Neither did Drew and some others. The same can't be said about Gronk, Amendola and Revis though. I can't respect that.

In the end, all things come to and end.

It needs to be admitted that I am one of the very few that is glad to see Brady and Gronk gone. If them winning a Super Bowl is the price to end Desperate Housewives of Foxboro......then bring it on. 2017/8/9, outside of winning a Super Bowl, were very unenjoyable years.

It's simply time to move on because the next book is being written.

We are currently in a postseason situation that has the chance to be the most interesting and exciting postseason in NFL history.

Never before has this league witnessed a CAP decline. The pace of player cuts could be unprecedented.

The Patriots are uniquely positioned with CAP space and picks so we can genuinely look to living history.

What we wind up with is threads spoiled with the vitriol of reliving history.

Ian

You have a big decision to make, because in the end, the rot if let unattended, can overwhelm the entire structure.

It needs to be admitted that I am one of the very few that is glad to see Brady and Gronk gone. If them winning a Super Bowl is the price to end Desperate Housewives of Foxboro......then bring it on. 2017/8/9, outside of winning a Super Bowl, were very unenjoyable years.

It's simply time to move on because the next book is being written.

We are currently in a postseason situation that has the chance to be the most interesting and exciting postseason in NFL history.

Never before has this league witnessed a CAP decline. The pace of player cuts could be unprecedented.

The Patriots are uniquely positioned with CAP space and picks so we can genuinely look to living history.

What we wind up with is threads spoiled with the vitriol of reliving history.

Ian

You have a big decision to make, because in the end, the rot if let unattended, can overwhelm the entire structure.
I agree - and I talked a little bit about it last night and this morning. So we'll try and shift things a bit to make a lot of these discussions a little bit more focused since, like you said and as I mentioned previously, we're going to look back at this era in 10-years and miss these days, I'm sure.

It needs to be admitted that I am one of the very few that is glad to see Brady and Gronk gone. If them winning a Super Bowl is the price to end Desperate Housewives of Foxboro......then bring it on.
I am happy the DRAMA is over. Always drama at the end. It got tiresome. Less drama more football in 2021 for the Patriots!

Reactions: Ian

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back