PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What’s the cap situation moving forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely do not get why people think Gronk is sure cut. I get his production was down but so was his target. If Gronk retires, it is a big big loss for the Pats. For 10M, you get a great OL + elite receiver + RZ threat.

This year's Red Zone play is just so strange. TB made some very uncharacteristic mistakes and Gronk was rarely targeted.

Yeah, I prefer Gronk stays as a Patriot.

Brady has ABSOLUTELY not underperformed what he's being paid this season. The focus on the cap number is such bs. Brady gets signed for cheap contracts and then asked to restructure to keep his cashflow the same but push cap number to outer years to help the team. So now the cap number gets inflated from prior underpaid years and we're comparing his $22m cap number as if he's getting paid that amount every year. His last 2 year contract was close
I think he was comparing TB's contract with Patrick Mahomes and Jared Goff's rookie deals, which is just stupid. Despite being down, TB's number is in still top 10 in the all the meaningful stats

I absolutely do not get why people think Gronk is sure cut. I get his production was down but so was his target. If Gronk retires, it is a big big loss for the Pats. For 10M, you get a great OL + elite receiver + RZ threat.

This year's Red Zone play is just so strange. TB made some very uncharacteristic mistakes and Gronk was rarely targeted.

Yeah, I prefer Gronk stays as a Patriot.

He may not be a sure cut, but he is a sure-fire restructure which if he does not agree to it may lead to a trade/cut/retirement.

He may not be a sure cut, but he is a sure-fire restructure which if he does not agree to it may lead to a trade/cut/retirement.

Since the $2m pro-rated portion of his signing bonus is already water under the bridge, it really only costs the Pats $10m to keep Gronk in 2019 ($9m salary + $750k weekly roster bonuses + $250k OTA attendance ("workout") bonus). And none of that, besides the OTA bonus, is guaranteed unless Gronk makes the 53-man roster.

My approach would be to start by offering a 1-year extension that cuts his 2019 salary drastically, but makes up for some of it with a signing bonus (new guaranteed money spread out over 2019 and 2020) and incentives.

Since the $2m pro-rated portion of his signing bonus is already water under the bridge, it really only costs the Pats $10m to keep Gronk in 2019 ($9m salary + $750k weekly roster bonuses + $250k OTA attendance ("workout") bonus). And none of that, besides the OTA bonus, is guaranteed unless Gronk makes the 53-man roster.

My approach would be to start by offering a 1-year extension that cuts his 2019 salary drastically, but makes up for some of it with a signing bonus (new guaranteed money spread out over 2019 and 2020) and incentives.
I can’t remember the exact numbers but Gronk had what, 47 for 680ish this year? An incredibly down year, no doubt. The rest could be said for much of the offense. Weird production across the board. That said, if Gronk is all in and keeps the antics down, hell yeah you keep ‘em! He’ll be worth it for the blocking dominance and occasional game take over. Imagine if next year we surround him and Brady with 1 or even 2 good targets that teams have to focus on. ;) We need to stock up for the future, but we also need to stock up for one last ride.

Brady, Gronk, Edelman. If we make it to next year with all 3, it’ll most likely be the end.:(

If he’s willing to come back cheap(er) I’m all for having Gronk back. He’s not what he was but he still put up above average numbers. We definitely need to draft and develop someone though.

I can’t remember the exact numbers but Gronk had what, 47 for 680ish this year? An incredibly down year, no doubt. The rest could be said for much of the offense. Weird production across the board. That said, if Gronk is all in and keeps the antics down, hell yeah you keep ‘em! He’ll be worth it for the blocking dominance and occasional game take over. Imagine if next year we surround him and Brady with 1 or even 2 good targets that teams have to focus on. ;) We need to stock up for the future, but we also need to stock up for one last ride.

Brady, Gronk, Edelman. If we make it to next year with all 3, it’ll most likely be the end.:(

In spite of playing the first three games of this season with only Hogan, Dorsett and Patterson dressed at WR (seriously, those were Brady's #1, #2 and #3 WRs for three games) .. and then in spite of playing weeks 4, 5 and 6 on a bum ankle ... through the first six games of the season, Gronk was actually producing as well as he had last season - when he was in the top-10 for all WRs, statistically across the board (again). He was also on his way to meeting 4 of his 5 incentives.

That back injury he began dealing with in week-7 really killed his production for the rest of the season - until he went 8/8 for 107 yds and a TD against the 'Fins in wk-14, looking mostly like his old self again. The Pats seemed to sorta shut him down after that.

Gronk needs to be thinking about life after Football and I think Gronk Inc agrees. I think this is it whether Gronk goes out in a SB or not. The Pats need young healthy new Blood at the postion I would double dip if I was them we might get lucky. We are not looking for a HoFer just a decent replacement for Gronk.

Brady has ABSOLUTELY not underperformed what he's being paid this season. The focus on the cap number is such bs. Brady gets signed for cheap contracts and then asked to restructure to keep his cashflow the same but push cap number to outer years to help the team. So now the cap number gets inflated from prior underpaid years and we're comparing his $22m cap number as if he's getting paid that amount every year. His last 2 year contract was close

Under his present contract, Brady will be paid $15M for his 2019 services.

I don't see Gronk playing more than one more year, at the most. Yes, we can sign an extension with a dummy 2020 contract year. Gronk would be fine with that as long as he has a $1M, and $8M signing bonus and $1M is roster bonuses.

Really nice TE class in 2019 got some boys who can ball and really catches the football well.

That is exactly what they need to do. If he puts up 70/1000/10TDs then $10m is OK.

Sorry but with what he did this year was not worth $10m.

I don't see Gronk playing more than one more year, at the most. Yes, we can sign an extension with a dummy 2020 contract year. Gronk would be fine with that as long as he has a $1M, and $8M signing bonus and $1M is roster bonuses.

Something along those lines.

That is exactly what they need to do. If he puts up 70/1000/10TDs then $10m is OK.

Sorry but with what he did this year was not worth $10m.

Getting hurt this season cost him a bit.

If we're talking about a WR, 70/1000/10 TDs would likely cost more than $10M .... considerably more for WRs on their second contracts.

Getting hurt this season cost him a bit.

If we're talking about a WR, 70/1000/10 TDs would likely cost more than $10M .... considerably more for WRs on their second contracts.
That is what they paid Gronk in 2018. They aren't going to pay him more based on his age and 2018 production.

That is what they paid Gronk in 2018. They aren't going to pay him more based on his age and 2018 production.

A little less than $10m, actually. And $2m of that cap hit was signing bonus from way back when.

But, no, I don't think the Pats will pay him $9m + $750k + $250k in 2019 based on 2018. They might, however, offer him an opportunity to earn that much, or a bit more, over the next two seasons via a 1-year extension.

If he refuses, he gets nothing more, and the Pats cap hit is only the $2m in signing bonus that's already been paid.

But the whole, "This guy is a first-round talent! But this other guy is only a late-round talent," is just more media BS.

That must be why Elite QB prospects often fall all the way to rounds 6 and 7, and we see the Peyton Mannings and Andrew Lucks of the world being passed on until day 3 of the draft. It's because "'This guy is a first-round talent! But this other guy is only a late-round talent,' is just more media BS".

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes