PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're starting to see the team right the ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
You called it SYSTEMIC. Losing guys because of the cap, and covid aren’t systemic.
every defense plays worse against better teams. That isn’t being exposed it’s reality. Being the best isn’t diminished because good teams play better against you than bad teams because that happens to the 2nd best, 3rd best, etc etc
Where did I use the word SYSTEMIC? Not in this post anyways...:)

I loved Bryan Cox back in the day. Old school LB, big neck roll, flipping off the fans. Guy was the man.
He had his moments but by the time he got here he was a shadow of that guy!

7-9, 8-8, 9-7...all of those might be the WORST thing a middling team in need of a franchise QB can do.

Shudder.

I hear you. But I'm not convinced a top10 qb pick saves us. Fully confident we can develop a guy like Mac Jones from a mid round pick. Shore up DT/DE or LB with our first rounder.

The Patriots are not a top three defense.

They were at one time, but that is in the past - and has nothing to do with the current team, present or near future.

As of Week 8 in 2019 the Pats D had allowed 61 points, by far the best in the NFL.

Then in the next eight games the Pats D allowed 164 points (20.5 ppg). Over a full season that would have placed the Pats between Dallas and Tennessee, just outside the top ten. That was due to an easy early season schedule and tougher opponents later, not injuries.

(On an aside, check where the Cowboys are now in regards to the inference about teams not suddenly getting worse.)

Now I am going to beat an already dead horse, with a reality check between the 2019 defense and the 2020 defense.
(Apologies in advance to those that have already seen these facts.)

The defensive offseason losses in free agency (and trades) had been overlooked by many, with TB12 moving on to Tampa dominating the discussion by the media and casual fans.

Defensive Snaps -- % -- Rank -- Player
833 --- 81% --- #3 --- Jamie Collins
832 --- 81% --- #4 --- Kyle Van Noy
736 --- 71% --- #5 --- Dont'a Hightower
669 --- 65% --- #7 --- Duron Harmon
653 --- 63% --- #8 --- Patrick Chung
508 --- 49% --- #11 -- Danny Shelton
272 --- 26% --- #18 -- Shilique Calhoun
210 --- 20% --- #20 -- Elandon Roberts

The hypothesis that the 2020 Patriots are a top defense is a myth.
They are also faced with the issue of dependency on players that are closing in on the end of their NFL careers.
  • Devin McCourty: ranks 1st in 2020 defensive snaps; will turn 34 in 2021 training camp.
  • Stephon Gilmore: ranks 5th in snaps (despite games missed); will turn 31 in week 2 (plus the contract).
  • John Simon: ranks 6th in snaps; will turn 31 next October.
  • Jason McCourty: 8th in snaps, and will also be turning 34; unlikely to return.
  • Lawrence Guy: 10th in snaps, despite injuries; turns 31 next March.
One also has to consider if the Pats will move on from Deatrich Wise, Byron Cowart and others - all that would need to be replaced with unknown quantities.
As I said SYSTEMICALLY which was part of the comment I was responding to they are a top 3 defense. Over the time belichick has been here (hence systemically ) they have been 1 or 2 in points allowed. It is relevant because it is the system.
No doubt they were hit hard by covid opt outs and lost a couple of important players and the lack of a real camp is making it more difficult for the young players to be useful.
The defense has had turnover consistently for 20 years and has always adapted and will continue to.
Where did I use the word SYSTEMIC? Not in this post anyways...:)
mixed you up with the guy I was responded to who called it systemic

Winning a ring with a mediocre QB would be BB’s final FU to the NFL

I want to be clear about something. When I said the team was starting to right the ship, I really do mean "starting." Seeing some of the youngsters step up is huge. Jackson, Meyers, Harris, all taking a step forward is massive but I'm not dumb enough to think there won't be setbacks. It's just nice to see signs that the pieces are starting to congeal.

There's a ton of work to do, but Bill is starting to find his feet with this squad and make the best of the pieces he has. Do I think we're a premium contender heck no. But I think we're building up to it. They're less talented than years past but well organized and starting to show that trademark Patriots discipline. They're starting to trust each other, and live up to that trust better than they were during the losing streak. Meyers being a consistent target for Cam has really helped Cam rebound from his issues as well.

And I think this team has the talent to make some noise if it sneaks into the playoffs, maybe win a playoff game. If they manage that with all the CoVID craziness on the team right now I'll be happy to call this season a success.

Mike Florio power rankings Week 11. His description of the Patriots is the best.

"The Terminator isn’t dead until it’s been dismantled, melted down, and turned into a line of wristwatches."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back