PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to the Vikings - at Gillette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming into tonight, Cousins was having a better year than Brady. While I agree that some overrate him, he’s a solid top 10 QB in this league and probably a better or similar thrower than Brady. Obviously, throwing isn’t all that goes into being a QB and Brady crushes Cousins on those attributes. But Cousins came into today with a better completion percentage and fewer INT per pass - two of the most important stats for a QB.

Again, Brady is clearly a better overall QB but calling Cousins “the most overrated” seems like a huge stretch considering that he’s actually throwing pretty well this year. I don’t think anyone makes him out to be a top 5 guy.

Excellent post and analysis of Cousins...Because of the High powered Rams and Saints most look past the Vikes. But statically they do have a decent Offense and Team overall.

Tough opponent, glad it is at home. We will need to really turn it on now that our layup is overwith, next 3 games will take our a effort, before closing with a couple easy ones at home

I wouldn't call the Jete a "layup". For the Pats defense, sure. But the Pats offense was fortunate to have been able to leverage exceptional success against the Jets weak run-D into a nicely productive day for Brady and the passing attack.

The Vikes' defense will be a much bigger challenge for the Pats offense. Their run-D has been top-5, while their pass-D has been on a par with the Jets, and much more consistently effective at pressuring opposing QBs than the Jets have been.

If there's a "layup game" coming up, it's more likely to be the 'Fins. In spite of the "Miami always plays us tough, especially in December in Florida" cliche, the Miami pass defense has been bottom 20 in the league, and their run-D in the bottom-3. The 'Fins offense has also been mediocre - not quite as poor as the Jete, but close.

After THAT, it gets tougher again.

Cousins isn't very mobile so we should be able to man up in the secondary and get creative with our pressures. Right @KontradictioN

Cousins is the Vikes 3rd leading rusher. Of course, the Vikes run the ball less than any other team in the league.

"Cousins isn't an elite QB."

"Cousins isn't as good as (insert your list here)."

Doesn't matter.

Cousins has been more consistently effective than Bortles, Tannehill, Osweiler, (probably) Stafford, Mariota, McCown, Darnold and whatever future Uber driver the Bills will have under center this week. AND, Cousins has a top-3 defense backing him up. That's all that matters to me at the moment.

I’m interested in the WR matchups. I think Gilmore will handle Thielen as well as he can. Sure it’ll be competitive.

I’m more concerned about Diggs. I don’t think we have anyone to match up with him.

I'm not sure that this is a matchup game. Possibly more like constantly shifting coverages combined with an all-out focus on pressuring Cousins. Make Cousins have to look for an open receiver, and don't give him enough time to do it.

"Cousins isn't an elite QB."

"Cousins isn't as good as (insert your list here)."

Doesn't matter.

Cousins has been more consistently effective than Bortles, Tannehill, Osweiler, (probably) Stafford, Mariota, McCown, Darnold and whatever future Uber driver the Bills will have under center this week. AND, Cousins has a top-3 defense backing him up. That's all that matters to me at the moment.

The Vikings are a good team. The Patriots need to bring their best to this one. Cutting down on the penalties is a must - they bailed out the Jets repeatedly in the first half yesterday. They are up-and-down with losses following good wins. I hope that trend continues.

I wouldn't call the Jete a "layup". For the Pats defense, sure. But the Pats offense was fortunate to have been able to leverage exceptional success against the Jets weak run-D into a nicely productive day for Brady and the passing attack.

The Vikes' defense will be a much bigger challenge for the Pats offense. Their run-D has been top-5, while their pass-D has been on a par with the Jets, and much more consistently effective at pressuring opposing QBs than the Jets have been.

If there's a "layup game" coming up, it's more likely to be the 'Fins. In spite of the "Miami always plays us tough, especially in December in Florida" cliche, the Miami pass defense has been bottom 20 in the league, and their run-D in the bottom-3. The 'Fins offense has also been mediocre - not quite as poor as the Jete, but close.

Its not really cliche. NE always has problems in MIA. Weird stuff happens when you are adjacent to the Bermuda Triangle

Really happy Rex Burkhead is back next week that should bolster our RB position and make it strong again.
It's the strength of the offense now

Hope they beat the packers tonight in 7-OT.

The Vikes won but Rodgers made sure there was no OT or 4th quarter comeback by missing wide open receivers down the stretch. I think he has his 4QC record vs winning teams at a startling 1-48. Corporal Comeback lives on.

Yeah, they will be much tougher to run against. I hope they pound the ball anyways.

I seems to me that the Pats want opposing defenses to have to defend everything, so I'm pretty sure they'll run, though not necessarily more than 50% of the time as they did against the Jete.

Minny will be a good test for Sony. They'll be the best run-D he's faced this season by far, save for four carries against CHI before he got hurt (early in the game). The Bears' run-D is the only one that's been "better" than the Vikes'.

It seems like they always have a strong run defense. I remember the 06 game versus Minn. Everyone talked about how you can't run n Minnesota so the game plan was simply to pass every down and I think the Pats did for 90% of the first half plays and Brady threw 4 TDs...
New England Patriots at Minnesota Vikings - October 30th, 2006 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I thought the jets were an easy matchup for us, especially with our ol healthy and being able to exploit that run d. We were gashing them all day, just kept shooting ourselves in the foot, and they got alot of help from the officials. Even on defense, it was probably misleading on the scoreboard- 2 of their scores came on drives extended by penalties. If the game was called down the middle, wed have won by 28. To have as many breaks/big calls go against us and still win by 14 in someone else’s place shows a huge gap between the teams.

As far as Miami goes,, really do hope youre right because we haven’t been great on the road and we could definitely use a softy between The viking and Steelers games.

I thought the jets were an easy matchup for us, especially with our ol healthy and being able to exploit that run d. We were gashing them all day, just kept shooting ourselves in the foot, and they got alot of help from the officials. Even on defense, it was probably misleading on the scoreboard- 2 of their scores came on drives extended by penalties. If the game was called down the middle, wed have won by 28. To have as many breaks/big calls go against us and still win by 14 in someone else’s place shows a huge gap between the teams.

As far as Miami goes,, really do hope youre right because we haven’t been great on the road and we could definitely use a softy between The viking and Steelers games.

As I posted in Ken's review thread, I thought the Pats' passing attack was very conservative and cautious against the Jets. On defense, it seemed more about "contain" than "destroy".

Pats open up favorites by a TD (-7)

Again, Brady is clearly a better overall QB but calling Cousins “the most overrated” seems like a huge stretch considering that he’s actually throwing pretty well this year. I don’t think anyone makes him out to be a top 5 guy.

You really think this guy is worth $27 million a year? Like I said, overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft