PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that his opinion matters, but he doesn't sound very confident. He says he thinks they will pull off the upset if NE plays like they did vs Houston.

I don't have a problem with the thinking: if we perform like we did against Houston (stalled O drives, turnovers) we are very open to being upset by a more potent and balanced Pitt team.

This, as it so often does, probably comes down to the trenches. IMHO is we just hold our own in the trenches we are in good shape (time for Brady to pass, contain their run). But if Pitt can get the upperhand in the trenches the way Houston did in the first half of the AFCDG? It'll be a struggle to be the first to reach the finish line (not impossible but certainly and starkly concerning the whole way).

Not good enough for that. Not nearly good enough. I now think Tomlin will change his D to man and put as much pressure as he can up the middle. Something he said today, like "Stay tuned". Problem is, that's not what his D is good at and it will backfire.

I just hope BB and Co have a good handle on that and have an instant change in game plan to match it.
If that's the case I really hope Blount/Lewis have a good game running the ball. They're totally capable of taking pressure of TB12 arm. Even then I have full confidence that TB12 can shred the Steelers like he usually does.

How good is PIT secondary and how good is their interior rush?? That's the only way to beat NE rushing 4 and drop everyone else into coverage. I haven't seen enough PIT games so I'm curious to know

I've read that, for years, the Steelers have been using the Fritz Shurmer designed "Eagle 5 front with an OLB over the center."

I need the Matt Chatham types of the world to explain what this is and how you attack it.

I don't imagine Tomlin is going to radically change his defensive scheme between now and Sunday.

I think Pits defense will be mixing it up to try and keep Brady and the offense off balance. They aren't good enough to come out and play tight man repeatedly, or sit back in a safe zone and just hope the front four rattles Brady, they don't have the rushers Houston does.

Not trying to be prophetic or anything but the narrative for the Steelers and their failures against NE sounds a lot like the one for the Pats and Broncos before they went in this year and shut their asses down

• Agree
Reactions: SVN
Not trying to be prophetic or anything but the narrative for the Steelers and their failures against NE sounds a lot like the one for the Pats and Broncos before they went in this year and shut their asses down

Yeah, like how the same overcoming past failures narrative was spun for last years AFCCG in Denver and we still lost?

Means zero.

There's absolutely no comparison between the two situations.

There's absolutely no comparison between the two situations.
How? Denver's NE's achilles heel. Denver is paper, NE is rock, Pittsburgh is scissors. Some teams just have your number. We heard it all year long about how the Pats can't win in Denver. Then they went in and shut their asses down and won 16-3.

Like I said, not by any means drawing comparisons to insinuate that that means Pittsburgh will win, just that it sounds exactly like what people were saying about NE. Mind you, NE won this year in Denver because they were the better team. They're the better team this weekend too, so I still think they win

How? Denver's NE's achilles heel. Denver is paper, NE is rock, Pittsburgh is scissors. Some teams just have your number. We heard it all year long about how the Pats can't win in Denver. Then they went in and shut their asses down and won 16-3.

Like I said, not by any means drawing comparisons to insinuate that that means Pittsburgh will win, just that it sounds exactly like what people were saying about NE. Mind you, NE won this year in Denver because they were the better team. They're the better team this weekend too, so I still think they win

You can't compare the two situations because NE was the far better team this season - that's why they beat the Broncos. NE was the better team last year as well, but was unfortunate when it came to injuries. Even when they lost in Denver, the games were always close and came down to some fluke play.

NE is a better team than Pittsburgh, and more importantly, NE matches up well against them.

Again, huh?

So what? They won in Denver in the regular season in a year where the Broncos couldn't even manage to make the playoffs. The Steelers beat us soundly in 2011.

But what's that got to do with the postseason?
What's that got to do with the same narrative being spun last postseason where we once again lost in Denver when it actually mattered?

People seem to forget that Denver beat us twice last season, were the number one seed and won the Super Bowl. They were simply the better team. Had nothing to do with a narrative.

And what does location and narrative have to do with the sheer fact that the Pats OWN the Steelers, whether home or away?

Seems to me like you're just afraid of the Steelers this Sunday and are trying to convince yourself otherwise.

Last edited:
Its amazing how the media is creating stories. They playing edelman's comments "thats how the team is run" without the full quote to ben in the presser and florio is also trying to stir up something which isnt there
Julian Edelman on Antonio Brown incident: “That’s how that team is run”

I know exactly what you mean.... here's a good example

Nonsense...the press is trying to stir up a controversy between the two teams. Here's the full quote:

On Wednesday, speaking to reporters in Pittsburgh, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was asked to respond to Edelman’s comments and he noted how successful the Steelers have been.

“I don’t think I need to speak much,” Roethlisberger said to reporters. “We’ve got our trophies out there. I’ve got owners that I think are the best in the business. They’re family to us, and I’m sure if he talked to his owner, he would say the same thing about the Rooneys."

Such a misleading headine

Lol. I knew I shouldn't have even mentioned it. It's just something that stuck out to me especially after BB's words that "We've been hearing all week about how we can't win in Denver." It was just an observation. Don't overthink it dude.

Last time I checked, Julian's not an alleged rapist.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back