Welker & poison pills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I listened to 98.5 for all of 60 seconds today, and came away yelling at the radio. :) Can you check my memory on this?

A caller said that the only reason the Patriots managed to get Welker is that they signed him to an offer sheet with a poison pill that caused the contract to balloon if he played more than 3 games in Miami. Felger's reply was something like: "Well of course they did! That's just what you do in the NFL!"

The way I recall it is, there was plenty of fan & media speculation about the potential to use a poison pill but Kraft didn't want to do that because he thought it was bad for the league, and so they sacrificed an extra pick to get a trade done instead. And teams have generally avoided poison pills ever since.

Am I misinformed, or is Mr. Felger?

They didnt have to use one. they gave Miami a 7th rounder in good faith to prevent them from making a counter offer.

Once again those two clowns show their ignorance. Yes you are on point. Welker never signed an offer sheet before the trade for the 2 and 7. The "poison pill" on transition tag players has not been used since the Hutchinson/Burleson fiasco in 2006.

Once again those two clowns show their ignorance. Yes you are on point. Welker never signed an offer sheet before the trade for the 2 and 7. The "poison pill" on transition tag players has not been used since the Hutchinson/Burleson fiasco in 2006.

True. But I wouldn't put it past the Colts or Jets to do it to the Pats if they wanted Gostkowski bad enough.

Pats acquired Welker in a trade, so a poison pill wouldn't even have been possible.

Pats acquired Welker in a trade, so a poison pill wouldn't even have been possible.

I think they were talking about if the trade never happened then the Pats would have submitted an offer sheet that contained a poison pill. That's well documented.

I listened to 98.5 for all of 60 seconds today, and came away yelling at the radio. :) Can you check my memory on this?

A caller said that the only reason the Patriots managed to get Welker is that they signed him to an offer sheet with a poison pill that caused the contract to balloon if he played more than 3 games in Miami. Felger's reply was something like: "Well of course they did! That's just what you do in the NFL!"

The way I recall it is, there was plenty of fan & media speculation about the potential to use a poison pill but Kraft didn't want to do that because he thought it was bad for the league, and so they sacrificed an extra pick to get a trade done instead. And teams have generally avoided poison pills ever since.

YOU are correct! Kraft wanted to take the high road, and so threw in a 7th rounder to sweeten the pot.

YOU are correct! Kraft wanted to take the high road, and so threw in a 7th rounder to sweeten the pot.

Maybe I heard the media spin, but I thought that the league firmly urged the Pats not to use a Poison pill, so they threw in the 7th.

I think they were talking about if the trade never happened then the Pats would have submitted an offer sheet that contained a poison pill. That's well documented.
Ridiculous. How can you document what someone WOULD have done?

Just because mediots were reporting that the Pats would have is NOT documentation.

I wish Felger took a poison pill

Maybe I heard the media spin, but I thought that the league firmly urged the Pats not to use a Poison pill, so they threw in the 7th.
Yep, that was the media spin after the media found out they were wrong in reporting that the Pats signed Welker to a poison pill offer.

Yep, that was the media spin after the media found out they were wrong in reporting that the Pats signed Welker to a poison pill offer.

IIRC, the league told teams to "knock it off" after the Hutchison/Burleson brouhaha; the story re: Welker was that the Patriots were supposedly "prepared" to sign him to an offer sheet, but Kraft decided he didn't want to create unnecessary bad blood, and so offered up a trade instead.

This is MISINFORMATION! The Pats traded a 2nd and 7th round pick to the Dolphins for Welker exactly because they didn't want to use a poison pill.

had to think about that for a minute...you're right...I wouldn't even wish that on poison
Man, too much dexedrine if it took you that long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes