PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker could go/"Overrated"? Threads merged

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Welker could go/"Overrated"? Threads merged

I know a guy can sit out and all so there is no guarentee but this is why we tagged him.

We cant live without him but we cant live with the longterm moneybeing thrown around for a 30 year old either.

Welker seemed reasonable to being tagged no need to panic yet they will find the comprimise.

I think hes here for at least the next two years, he can play under the tag this tear and if they tag him next year he makes 20% more than this years salary. If they sign him to a longer term deal those are the numbers to work off and they would have to guarantee more than those two combined. I could see them letting him go after that and groom his replacement these next two years.

Re: Welker # 1 overrated player!

Reality is the Guy is underrated. No one will give him the true credit he deserves for the numbers he puts up because A he is a slot receiver and B he has Tom throwing to him.

He puts up numbers that are as good as any in the game right now how is that overrated?

And for what money? A lot less that the primadonna WRs were making.
Welker was second in yardage, second only to C Johnson, who barely overtook him in the last game of the season when GB and the Lions were playing no defense.

Hell, Stinko was making more $ than Welker, for a lot less production.

Some people have slot receiver bias as if a slot receiver isn't a real receiver. I don't think Welker is top 3 in WRs, but he is definitely top 5-10 range.

It's not a bias, it's a fact that a slot receiver's job is far easier than an outside receiver for at least 4 reasons: 1. He is generally facing the opposition's 3rd best CB or a safety; 2. He does not play against the boundary, therefore he can use more of the field making him more difficult to defend 3. he is generally not on the LOS and thus is not subject to jams; 4. he is catching almost everything within 10 yds and thus does not have to adjust to balls in the air.

Welker is a GREAT slot receiver, but he is a different animal than an outside receiver, and neither he nor any other slot will ever get anything approaching top outside receiver money, especially being on the wrong side of 30 with his quickness being the only thing going for him and likely the first thing to go.

If all it took to be successful was having Brady throw to you, why can't we draft WRs?

Rather have Johnny Knox. I'll pass on 19. Headache and a headcase.

He meant the 19th pick in the first round which the Bears own not the former #19 of the Miami Dolphins that they traded for.

If all it took to be successful was having Brady throw to you, why can't we draft WRs?

Who said it 'took nothing more than having Brady throw to Welker'?

How is it that being a "slot recever" is less important position than "outside receiver"? If he is a productive player and helps you win, who cares what his position is. If you are getting over 100 catches and a thousand yards over many seasons, then you are elite and deserve whatever money you can get. Welker, Brady, and Belichick has redefined the slot receiver position. The Patriots used to use Troy Brown in a similar way. Wes will get his money.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if we part ways. We aren't gonna pay him what he is capable of getting in the current marketplace and with every big dollar signing that goes by the boards he is watching his pay day slip away. Somethings gotta give, and it probably won't be the Patriots. Gonzales and Amendola aren't coming in here to be vertical threats.

You realize that he is Franchised. He is not going anywhere.

I have no idea why this thread was started but people can can continue to discuss at the Practice Squad (I figure out why people would want to discuss this, but go ahead).

It's not a bias, it's a fact that a slot receiver's job is far easier than an outside receiver for at least 4 reasons: 1. He is generally facing the opposition's 3rd best CB or a safety; 2. He does not play against the boundary, therefore he can use more of the field making him more difficult to defend 3. he is generally not on the LOS and thus is not subject to jams; 4. he is catching almost everything within 10 yds and thus does not have to adjust to balls in the air.

Welker is a GREAT slot receiver, but he is a different animal than an outside receiver, and neither he nor any other slot will ever get anything approaching top outside receiver money, especially being on the wrong side of 30 with his quickness being the only thing going for him and likely the first thing to go.

To respond to your questions:

1.) Welker faces opposing teams' #1 CB almost as much or as much as any other #1 WR. Guys like Revis typically cover Welker.
2.) I would say the boundaries for a slot WR is smaller in a lot of cases. They need to get separation quickly because they run shorter routes and their box is probably just as small as an outside WR just different.
3.) Outside WRs are not always on the line of scrimmage either. Many times they are not subject to jams when they are put in motion or play off the line or they back off the line for a screen pass etc. Also, slot WRs are subject to jams.
4.) So Welker's ability to make the first defender miss him on a regular basis is not as tough as a outside WR adjusting for the ball. Again, each position has their challenges. I don't think there has ever been a slot WR who consistently avoids going down on the first hit in NFL history as Welker and that is significant.

In general, the slot WR position is a lesser position, but that is changing with impact slot WRs like Welker. The passing game is changing and slot WRs are taking on more responsibilities and making more of an impact.

As to Welker being overrated, in the Pats system he could end up in the HOF, with another team he would be a good receiver but not All Pro calibre. His ability to read D's and make sight adjustments at the line that are in sync with Brady combined with his quick change of direction makes him deadly.

The thing is, how many QB's could leverage Welker's strengths as a WR? Welker would not IMO be as highly rated on any other team.

A slot receiver can be as valuable as an outside reciever as we have seen, When paired with a very good outside WR and a couple of good TE's they can be unstottablee (IOW sign Lloyd).

The guy rating as the #1 overrated player is trying to generate hits, not give good analysis.

I sent out an email to the author asking if i could get my hands on whatever he's smoking!!

Top 10 most overrated NFL players

Walter Football compiles a lot of great information on their site. However, anybody that reads their commentary needs to remember that Walter is an avid fan of the Miami Dolphins; as a result his opinions on all the AFC East teams and any of their players, past or present, is usually very skewed. Aside from his ranking Welker as the most overrated player in the NFL, another example would be his 2012 wide receiver free agent rankings: he placed Randy Moss dead last out of 63 receivers, declaring that no teams are interested in him, he's a bum, and nobody in there right mind would sign him. Perhaps a better example would be his weekly picks in 2011, when he bet against the Patriots for about twelve or fourteen weeks in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes