PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to The Patriots Newton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting ! Didn't see this happening , but I am quite happy with this news . If there is a season, the QB position should be quite the battle.

I just don't understand the logic behind this signing. What's the ideal, realistic outcome here? I mean, the ideal outcome here is a Super Bowl Championship, but let's be realistic.

If Newton plays, and plays well, then he's gone after a year. If he doesn't play well, or play at all, then it wasn't a good signing.

Don't mind Cam, but will not enjoy his cadence at the line of scrimmage..It has always irked me.
Me too...perhaps will he change ? ;)

I just don't understand the logic behind this signing. What's the ideal, realistic outcome here? I mean, the ideal outcome here is a Super Bowl Championship, but let's be realistic.

If Newton plays, and plays well, then he's gone after a year. If he doesn't play well, or play at all, then it wasn't a good signing.
Ideal: Newton is healthy and plays very good football. We'd be a playoff team capable of making some noise. That's worth it to me for a guy on a minimum contract.

What is the downside? Evidently they aren't convinced Stidham is ready to go this year. There will be camp competition so he still has a chance to start but we'll see. Competition will help push Stidham and if he isn't quite ready it won't hurt to sit for another season. I'm trusting Belichick's analysis on Stidham's readiness.

I think it is worth a shot signing, if healthy their is no competittion between Newton, Stidham and Hoyer. Newton has taken his teams to the BCS Championship and the Superbowl.

I think McDaniels already has a RPO offense drawn up from back in his Tebow days. Now he has Tebow on steriods!! You have to rememebr that the AFC East have all built their defenses on stopping a Brady led offense, investing heavily in safties and fast LBs. Now comes a Newton led offense with Cam following behind Mason and Thuney leading the way against those small fast LB! Yikes!

If nothing else, nobody will have a book on what the Pats are doing. I think this could really work.

Pats versus TB in the Superbowl!!

Lancerman after hour comments i am thinking Cam has a bright future in Foxboro :thumbsup:;)

Newton is a really good bounce-back candidate, he had his best year since his MVP in 2018. Also the Pats have a really good cap situation after next season so if Cam balls out they could re-sign him. They wanted another year of Brady to be able to transition to their next QB (Stidham or otherwise) and they a got a former MVP instead for basically nothing.

BB is always trying to win every season. Best outcome is that he performs as a team player with low turnovers and he adds a huge element of unpredictability to offense that their opponents are not ready for and they make it to AFC championship or Super Bowl and next year Pats have money to extend him for a few more seasons.

This is where I’m at with it. If he’s healthy he’s likely a better QB right now than Stidham in 2020. How much better? Who knows? I don’t think his addition is enough to get us into the postseason so I am not sure what the point is. I’d honestly rather win 4 games and get a QB for the future if Stidham doesn’t work out than win 8 games with Cam and have no idea what we have in Stidham and be in the same spot next year when Cam walks.

can the season start finally, hate all this off-season ****

This is where I’m at with it. If he’s healthy he’s likely a better QB right now than Stidham in 2020. How much better? Who knows? I don’t think his addition is enough to get us into the postseason so I am not sure what the point is. I’d honestly rather win 4 games and get a QB for the future if Stidham doesn’t work out than win 8 games with Cam and have no idea what we have in Stidham and be in the same spot next year when Cam walks.
Why didn't we get our future QB the last 3 years? That is the real question for BB.

I know this was far from the point of the tweet but I swear to god if LaCosse is our starting TE I'm going to riot and loot. I don't even want to see him on the 53.
I was thinking the same thing.

Do we know if Newton and Stidham know each other at all. Obviously both Auburn alumni

Why didn't we get our future QB the last 3 years? That is the real question for BB.
I had no idea that Lamar would be half as good as he is but I still wanted him over Sony. I figured he was a few years from being a starter in the NFL and he could learn from Brady and take over in 2-3 years and let Josh build the offense around him. Instead we have a plodding banger up JAG RB.

Comments:

1.) I am still high on Stidham, but this is freaking Cam Newton on a cheap one year deal!

2.) Assuming Cam is healthy....the Patriots just became significantly better, IMO. Especially at the goal line and in our rushing offense. DB's will not be able to run down the field with their backs turned anymore....and defenses will need to account for more rushing lanes. That coupled with our strong defense.....man...oh man....

3.) Completely shocked that Cam would take a deal that maxes out to 7.5M, but thinking about it....it makes great sense for both parties. Cam can earn 7.5...then hit the market for something north of 25M+ ad still earn an average of 16M the next two years......plus endorsements. He won't be hurting for money if he is healthy.

4.) This gives us another comp 3rd if we do not re-sign Cam in 2021.

5.) Of all QB's available this off-season in Winston, Dalton, Rivers, and Newton......we got the best one...and also the cheapest one....unbelievable....the rich get richer! (Technically, Winston has the cheapest deal *if* all incentives are reached....but initial outlay of money = Cam's deal being cheaper).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back