PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to the Patriots Damien Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
My instant reaction was "do we need to pick an RB here?" but ultimately I really do like Harris. I can't argue against bolstering the running game further. Burkhead is always an injury concern and Harris will become a better player. Solid pick.

I may have added a binky to my stable.

I initially did not like the pick but it makes sense now. More Rex Burkhead than James White and Sony Michel, another versatile player who also pass protects well. With Brady's age it makes sense to utilize all the RBs we have.

Plus we should try to limit Michel's snap count. I really want him to have a long career but I'm worried about his knee.

Harris only fumbled twice in his college career according to PFF, both times in 2016.

yeah...saw that. Forget where he was drafted...this kid is a SOLID piece.Round 1... round26...who gives a shyt. Have to say this draft is the first one in a long time where I can SEE the why's and wherefores of their decision making. Offense is the new paradigm. I expect the DL to fill out with vets later in June. Harris will easily play out his rookie contract IMO.

yeah...saw that. Forget where he was drafted...this kid is a SOLID piece.Round 1... round26...who gives a shyt. Have to say this draft is the first one in a long time where I can SEE the why's and wherefores of their decision making. Offense is the new paradigm. I expect the DL to fill out with vets later in June. Harris will easily play out his rookie contract IMO.

It’ll be interesting who gets the most carries next year between Michel and Harris. I don’t think it’s a given that Michel is ‘the starter’. I don’t think that’s how they’ll approach it.

Rex Burkhead replacement after he leaves, or gets injured.

It’ll be interesting who gets the most carries next year between Michel and Harris. I don’t think it’s a given that Michel is ‘the starter’. I don’t think that’s how they’ll approach it.
I think it would be awfully hard to take the ball out of Sony’s hands, manxman. We couldn’t have asked for anything more as a rookie. He proved to be a difference maker right out of the gate. I would hate to see that momentum halted by screwing around too much.

Normally, I’d agree with you as to how they approach most (almost all) positional battles, but I think Sony is clearly the RB1.

Rex Burkhead replacement after he leaves, or gets injured.
I think we can start by giving him situational carries as the season progresses and go from there. This could occur during leads, second half clock killing situations, and possibly even spot duty starts due to injury.

It’s great to see another piece added to the running game, and with good talent on the cheap to boot. With Michel, White, and Burkhead, they should remain dedicated to running the ball and doing it effectively. Bolden will be a ST only player who will move up due to emergency/injury situations.

I think it would be awfully hard to take the ball out of Sony’s hands, manxman. We couldn’t have asked for anything more as a rookie. He proved to be a difference maker right out of the gate. I would hate to see that momentum halted by screwing around too much.

Normally, I’d agree with you as to how they approach most (almost all) positional battles, but I think Sony is clearly the RB1.

We’ll see. You’re probably right but will he keep it is more my point. It’s a nice position to be in with two RBs worthy of giving us 15-20 carries per game with no significant drop off. And on the books for at least 3 years as things stand.

So, do we still have Jeremy Hill

It’s hard to imagine our run game just got even better as It ended the season on fire ,dominant the last 5 games in a row. It will be a huge luxury having 2 great runners now.

I love this pick. Yeah, I'm an Alabama Homer, but you only needed to watch a handful of games to see Harris as a big-time contributor. He is a powerful runner, and rarely lost yardage. Wicked hard to tackle, usually taking 2-3 defenders to bring him down.

He should be able to fit in pretty quickly,as Alabama uses a system very similar to the Patriots, including terminology and concepts.
Must be hard on you emotionally being both a Tide and Pats fan. 2013 is the only year since 2011 that one of them didn’t win a championship. How do you sleep at night?

So, do we still have Jeremy Hill
No. They went in the direction of the draft, which produced (we hope) a better talent who will be affordable and under contract for 4 years.

So far, he is the only pick I do not like. I was immediately excited when we drafted Sony and Harris was immediate disappointment. He looks like a 5th round prospect at best imo. I don't see him ever being a starter and I feel that backs taken in the 3rd should have potential upside.

My first reaction was ' no way ',,why a RB until I looked up where he played and how he played,,,my guess is BB couldn't believe that he was still there so late and went for value as the best player left.
Than I read somewhere that he was projected to go early 2nd Round.
Just a very good player where we picked him. Good Pick.

I think we can start by giving him situational carries as the season progresses and go from there. This could occur during leads, second half clock killing situations, and possibly even spot duty starts due to injury.

It’s great to see another piece added to the running game, and with good talent on the cheap to boot. With Michel, White, and Burkhead, they should remain dedicated to running the ball and doing it effectively. Bolden will be a ST only player who will move up due to emergency/injury situations.
I think this pick was about extending Sonys shelf life and protecting against an eventual Burk injury.

Sony will get his 200 carries and 30-40 catches next year. Workload will not be an issue.

Sony getting 300 carries and 50 catches would not be optimal

Michel, White, Burkhead, Develin, Bolden and Harris. The Patriots are loaded in the backfield.

Rex Burkhead may be expendable, as much as I like him as a versatile player. He was terrific in the playoffs this year but Burkhead's injury history makes him unreliable. I wonder if he has trade value.

Pure North-South, one-cut-and-go type of runner that will compete with IRex for snaps and spell Michel. Can contribute on all three downs. With IRex battling injuries every season he’s been here, Michel getting nicked up last year, and with Patterson gone, I get the pick. And I’m happy it was where it was. Still looking for a TE and another WR though. Hardman and Isabella are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes