PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

"Strongest arm" has to be the stupidest thing ever. There is no science to measuring arm strength besides miles per hour. Scouts talking about "zip" on passes are just as silly as baseball scouts claiming they can tell the difference between a 96 mph and 98 mph fastball without a radar gun.

Brady not having a strong arm? Lmfao...absolutely idiotic stuff.

Here's some interesting MPH points that show just how moronic this all is and how much it is colored by narrative and perception. I mean, when we hear about arm strength, the entire point is how quickly the ball gets from the quarterback's hand to the spot, right? These guys all throw footballs at similar speeds, though certainly a guy at the top (60 mph) might have an advantage over a guy at the bottom (50 mph). But most everyone is just muddled into the middle here...even the guys thought to have weak arms and the guys thought to have strong arms (Mahomes, Flacco, etc.)

MPH

View attachment 32507

View attachment 32508

View attachment 32509

View attachment 32510

View attachment 32511

View attachment 32512

View attachment 32513

Amazing devastating analysis

Hello Mac. Goodbye no name.

Maybe Jake should have hosted an independent workout with the receivers, like stidham and newton did.

This thread will be hilarious to read a year from now. Either the haters or the homers will be taking an L, there's no in-between.

I hope Mac balls. Feel free to call me a dum dum if he looks like a franchise QB in the first year.

If he sucks tho, I want him to be complete trash, enough to lead us to like a Top 3 pick. Middle of the pack in the draft order is the worst place to be when you need a QB.

Now that I think about it, worst case scenario would actually be if he was Andy Dalton. Good enough to win games, but bad enough to never compete in the playoffs. That would truly be No Man's Land

Last edited:
This thread will be hilarious to read a year from now. Either the haters or the homers will be taking an L, there's no in-between.

I hope Mac balls. Feel free to call me a dum dum if he looks like a franchise QB in the first year.

If he sucks tho, I want him to be complete trash, enough to lead us to like a Top 3 pick. Middle of the pack in the draft order is the worst place to be when you need a QB.

Now that I think about it, worst case scenario would actually be if he was Andy Dalton. Good enough to win games, but bad enough to never compete in the playoffs. That would truly be No Man's Land
Mac will not see much time this year, so at the end of the year, I am not sure anything will be determined.

"Strongest arm" has to be the stupidest thing ever. There is no science to measuring arm strength besides miles per hour. Scouts talking about "zip" on passes are just as silly as baseball scouts claiming they can tell the difference between a 96 mph and 98 mph fastball without a radar gun.

Brady not having a strong arm? Lmfao...absolutely idiotic stuff.

Here's some interesting MPH points that show just how moronic this all is and how much it is colored by narrative and perception. I mean, when we hear about arm strength, the entire point is how quickly the ball gets from the quarterback's hand to the spot, right? These guys all throw footballs at similar speeds, though certainly a guy at the top (60 mph) might have an advantage over a guy at the bottom (50 mph). But most everyone is just muddled into the middle here...even the guys thought to have weak arms and the guys thought to have strong arms (Mahomes, Flacco, etc.)

MPH

View attachment 32507

View attachment 32508

View attachment 32509

View attachment 32510

View attachment 32511

View attachment 32512

View attachment 32513
Fwiw this isn't like "who can throw the hardest" or "fastest pitch". No one is trying to throw their hardest. I believe they're measuring certain passes. It's awful they don't add any context. Also it's rumored Josh Allen can hit high 60's.

Brady always had a strong arm. It got stronger. Mechanics went through a transformation which probably helped but his arm strength was always more than good enough.

Mac will not see much time this year, so at the end of the year, I am not sure anything will be determined.
Because Cam is gonna ball out? Yeah right.

It would be great if Cam could turn back the clock, but he will have a short leash. If we begin the season 0-2, good chance Mac is starting by October.

I am no draft expert or college football fan and I know they are showing only highlights of the guy the last two days, but I think based on what I see the talent around Jones making him look good argument may be overstated. Almost every pass I have seen of Jones is him hitting the receiver in stride running their designed routes and in tight windows (and these are highlight film for Smith and Waddle too). Usually when an elite receiver carries a QB, the receiver is adjusting routes and/or making circus catches to cover for the QB's deficiencies. Sure Waddle and Smith getting open makes it easier for Jones to make the throw at times, but many of the throws I saw either Waddle or Smith were doubled in tight coverage and Jones got the ball to a spot where only the receiver had an opportunity to get it. And that is what you look for in a QB.

There's a

It was as much of a breakthrough as an offseason workout can be. Still, Jones' transformation into the diabolical Joker, replete with 41 touchdown passes, an NCAA-record 77.4 percent completion rate, and the highest college QBR (96.1) in the 17-year history of the measurement, was forged in a near-maniacal work ethic that bubbled beneath the surface of his more emotional, fun-loving exterior.

It was no joke when Edwards found Jones, just a day after Alabama's national championship win over Georgia his freshman year, breaking down film of the game early in the morning even though both Hurts and Tagovailoa would be returning the next year.
It was no joke when he'd call Hereford to catch balls in the indoor facility late at night, with nobody else around, to work on his game. He could pick the oddest times to log practice time on his own – once, even, right after the team's annual banquet.
Yes, Jones could have fun, but he was at Alabama to win the quarterback job, not spend a career commanding the scout team.

From a preparation standpoint, he took after Tom Brady in all sorts of ways. He's studied Brady's technique right down to the action of his non-throwing hand. Alabama trainer Bobby Feeback always taped Jones' ankles Brady-style – Jones called it "the Brady spat" -- over the top of the cleats. When he threw on his own, he'd often do it in a helmet and shoulder pads, as Brady prefers. UA helmets are only issued for practices and games, but Jones had a workaround – he'd use his high school helmet from Bolles. He even gave some consideration to donning a helmet and shoulder pads for his pro day workouts.
Jones also lifted some preparation tips from the Brady documentary "Tom vs. Time." He sees his own experience at Alabama not unlike Brady's at Michigan – an underappreciated backup behind a more heralded starter.

"At Michigan, they said he wasn't going to play because of Drew Henson. They said he wasn't going to play in the NFL. I like his story more than his play," Jones said. "Obviously his play is great and I model some of my game after him, with his footwork and how he prepares, but he had a chip on his shoulder, the same one I have."

For Saban, Jones' decision to stay at Alabama rather than transferring set up the growth and maturity needed for his breakout season in 2020. Now, with NFL clubs lining up at the top of the draft to select a quarterback, Jones could hear his name called awfully early on April 29.
"(NFL teams) are going to fall in love with a guy who is really a hard worker, a good leader, and the guy is very committed to being the best player he can be," Saban told NFL Network following Jones' first pro day workout. "He's smart, he's going to know the offense inside and out, he makes quick decisions, has great judgment, and he's very accurate with the ball. I think the combination of those things is going to make him a fine player at the next level.
There's a lot wrong with what Nick Saban says above. I'm not criticizing the poster, just Saban here. First off, the Patriots don't need a leader, not with the building filled with guys with SB rings and several other new guys with years more experience at the NFL level. Hightower, McCourty, White, Gilmore, Slater, Mason, Andrews, and Newton will set the tone. The Pats need a humble guy ready to learn.

Second, he won't know the offense inside and out. The Patriots offense is an evolving thing every season with more added as the weeks progress. More importantly, it's never the same from week to week. The offense and the defense are built on the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents. Cam couldn't execute it last year as a first year Patriot. Cam was awful because a) he struggled with the changes and was slow to see things unfold in front of him, b) was always thinking "should I run?" instead of being fast at reading his progression, and c) wasn't accurate when he did throw the ball. Some of that was years of wear and tear, some of it was Covid-19 that kicked the crap out of him, and some of it was a changing, complex offense with no tight ends, poor receivers and changes on the offensive line. It just sucked.

I am glad they took Mac Jones, but he is not going to be the leader of this team with the veterans they have in that locker room, and he is not ready to do anything but what Josh asks him to do which will be different every week that he gets a chance to set foot on the field.

This noise about Alabama playing at the highest level is nonsense. They go into every game with the deepest, most talented team on the field and dare their opponent to stop them. And when they run into teams of equal caliber, they often lose, Jones is going to have to learn to be patient for a while (maybe a few games, maybe the whole season.) We're going to need to have patience, too.

Last edited:
I am no draft expert or college football fan and I know they are showing only highlights of the guy the last two days, but I think based on what I see the talent around Jones making him look good argument may be overstated. Almost every pass I have seen of Jones is him hitting the receiver in stride running their designed routes and in tight windows (and these are highlight film for Smith and Waddle too). Usually when an elite receiver carries a QB, the receiver is adjusting routes and/or making circus catches to cover for the QB's deficiencies. Sure Waddle and Smith getting open makes it easier for Jones to make the throw at times, but many of the throws I saw either Waddle or Smith were doubled in tight coverage and Jones got the ball to a spot where only the receiver had an opportunity to get it. And that is what you look for in a QB.

It was Jones’ accuracy that impressed me so much when I watched him. You are spot on.

Who the F cares about which QB looks the best in underwear? He can get Abs no problem, for those on this board concerned that his belly does not look like Marky Mark. That is so far down the list as to what is important for your franchise QB...that it does not register.
Kid is a leader and will work his butt off
I know Patsfans writer Marky Mark Morse personally and can attest that he does NOT have ripped abs.*

And no you homophobes, I have NOT seen Mark in his underwear!

Meanwhile, Brady a-s-s kisser Skip Bayless chimes in...

Thanks for keeping Tom Brady's name out in front with every post you make and every time you're quoted. Because of your insistence of keeping your screen name intact we all get a dose of Tom in every thread you post in. Without you we'd be stuck having to participate in the Tompabay and Tom Brady forums to see his name. You bring it to us constantly. Thanks so much. Skip is proud of you.

Thanks for keeping Tom Brady's name out in front with every post you make and every time you're quoted. Because of your insistence of keeping your screen name intact we all get a dose of Tom in every thread you post in. Without you we'd be stuck having to participate in the Tompabay and Tom Brady forums to see his name. You bring it to us constantly. Thanks so much. Skip is proud of you.
He should "accidently" lose his patsfans.com password

So sick about hearing of physical tools. A QB is not measured on just physical tools. I hope jones gets on the field quick. Bill can say cam is our QB but he’s not the future of this franchise.

Yeah I don't get this obsession with physical tools. Brady, manning, brees weren't the most athletic but they did just fine..

Because Cam is gonna ball out? Yeah right.

It would be great if Cam could turn back the clock, but he will have a short leash. If we begin the season 0-2, good chance Mac is starting by October.
Mac will beat him out in camp and be the week 1 starter

There's a lot wrong with what Nick Saban says above. I'm not criticizing the poster, just Saban here. First off, the Patriots don't need a leader, not with the building filled with guys with SB rings and several other new guys with years more experience at the NFL level. Hightower, McCourty, White, Gilmore, Slater, Mason, Andrews, and Newton will set the tone. The Pats need a humble guy ready to learn.
Just to this point. Yeah, those are the guys now.... but how many of them will be here in 2022? Slater will be retired, maybe HT and DMac too and if not, BB could just decide they’re not worth the money anymore. The only guys who are “locks” to be here in 2022 are Andrews and Mason. There might only be a handful of guys on that 2022 team who won a ring with the Pats - those two, Guy, Jon Jones and Wise are the only guys under contract currently.

Reading Patriots Reign, that 2001 team was totally Drew Bledsoe’s. But the veterans were amazed at the leadership Brady brought when he got his opportunity, and bought in pretty quickly. I think that’s what the team is hoping for from Mac.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back