PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Welcome Mac Jones

Just woke up and checked the results and found out about the Jones pick.
To be honest I was never a Jones fan. If we were to get a QB I was hoping Fields would have fallen to us, though I thought Fields would go 3rd. But I'm warming to the idea of Jones. All afternoon I was kind of hoping that this scenario would occur. I assumed that all 5 QB's would be gone before 15 and SF would take Fields. In that scenario I would have like to have seen the Pats trade down a few slots and pick up a high 3rd or low 2nd and pick someone like ZCollins. Then use our 46 for a WR. Then work a deal with SF for JG for a CONDITIONAL 2022 2nd that would most likely end up a 3rd or 4th.

But once SF picked Lance, JG was locked in with the Niners. Lance is at LEAST a year away from starting and keeping Jimmy is now a necessity for the Niners. He won't be coming here because the Niners can't afford to move him.

A couple of "idle thoughts" on the Jones pick.

a. What will make Jones a success or failure will not happen based on who Mack Jones is NOW. What will make him a success is what he becomes (or not). Brady had a bad body when he came into the league. He also had a mediocre arm. But over the years in the league, he improved his body, he improved his mind, and he improved every other aspect of his game as well.

b. Jones comes into the league with his 2 main strengths being his accuracy and his processing skills. I believe, if Bill had to rank those 2 strengths they would be the top 2 of Bills list of QB skills. So he's off to a good start.

c. You can't help but love the fact that both Smith and Waddle picked Jones over Tua when they were asked who they liked best.

d. A lot has been mentioned about Jones' lack of athleticism. But here's the thing I have a hard time getting my head around. He ran a 4.8 40. Back in the day I went fairly far as a football player running a 4.8 40. Granted it was 50 years ago, but it STILL isn;t exactly slow. And while he's not going to make anyone forget Lamar Jackson, he isn't close to being Tom Brady slow.'

e. Being able to "escape" like a Jackson, or Allen, or Lance, is a nice, it isn't necessary to win or go far in the playoffs if you have the right team to go around him....and for at least the next few years the Pats will have an excellent running game to go along with excellent TE for the play action game, and OK WR's. They will have a superior ST's game and a top 10 defense.

f. All that being said, ANY first round pick taken where the Pats picked there is just as likely to fail as succeed and that failure rate is even higher at the QB position, So I'm hoping for the best, while girding for the worst of this pick. Regardless of the relatively high pick, Jones was STILL just the 5th QB picked. Interested when you think Brady lasted until 199 and yet was just the 7th QB picked.

Mac Jones is an excellent pick for the Patriots. He gets to sit in a QB room with a former MVP, learn from an OC who crafted offenses for a similar pocket passer, and has terrific veteran receivers in his backfield, at TE and a decent group of veteran wideouts. Jones is walking into a better situation than all four QBs who were picked ahead of him.

A lot has been mentioned about Jones' lack of athleticism. But here's the thing I have a hard time getting my head around. He ran a 4.8 40. Back in the day I went fairly far as a football player running a 4.8 40. Granted it was 50 years ago, but it STILL isn;t exactly slow. And while he's not going to make anyone forget Lamar Jackson, he isn't close to being Tom Brady slow.
Completely agree. I think the idea that Jones is a statue is a product of his looks. But in my opinion if he need to get the first on a 3rd and 8 after the play breaks down, I think he can.

Mahomes also ran a 4.8 40. Do we think Mahomes can’t scramble for a first?

It was as much of a breakthrough as an offseason workout can be. Still, Jones' transformation into the diabolical Joker, replete with 41 touchdown passes, an NCAA-record 77.4 percent completion rate, and the highest college QBR (96.1) in the 17-year history of the measurement, was forged in a near-maniacal work ethic that bubbled beneath the surface of his more emotional, fun-loving exterior.

It was no joke when Edwards found Jones, just a day after Alabama's national championship win over Georgia his freshman year, breaking down film of the game early in the morning even though both Hurts and Tagovailoa would be returning the next year.
It was no joke when he'd call Hereford to catch balls in the indoor facility late at night, with nobody else around, to work on his game. He could pick the oddest times to log practice time on his own – once, even, right after the team's annual banquet.
Yes, Jones could have fun, but he was at Alabama to win the quarterback job, not spend a career commanding the scout team.

From a preparation standpoint, he took after Tom Brady in all sorts of ways. He's studied Brady's technique right down to the action of his non-throwing hand. Alabama trainer Bobby Feeback always taped Jones' ankles Brady-style – Jones called it "the Brady spat" -- over the top of the cleats. When he threw on his own, he'd often do it in a helmet and shoulder pads, as Brady prefers. UA helmets are only issued for practices and games, but Jones had a workaround – he'd use his high school helmet from Bolles. He even gave some consideration to donning a helmet and shoulder pads for his pro day workouts.
Jones also lifted some preparation tips from the Brady documentary "Tom vs. Time." He sees his own experience at Alabama not unlike Brady's at Michigan – an underappreciated backup behind a more heralded starter.

"At Michigan, they said he wasn't going to play because of Drew Henson. They said he wasn't going to play in the NFL. I like his story more than his play," Jones said. "Obviously his play is great and I model some of my game after him, with his footwork and how he prepares, but he had a chip on his shoulder, the same one I have."
For Saban, Jones' decision to stay at Alabama rather than transferring set up the growth and maturity needed for his breakout season in 2020. Now, with NFL clubs lining up at the top of the draft to select a quarterback, Jones could hear his name called awfully early on April 29.
"(NFL teams) are going to fall in love with a guy who is really a hard worker, a good leader, and the guy is very committed to being the best player he can be," Saban told NFL Network following Jones' first pro day workout. "He's smart, he's going to know the offense inside and out, he makes quick decisions, has great judgment, and he's very accurate with the ball. I think the combination of those things is going to make him a fine player at the next level.

It's funny, back before the 49ers made the blockbuster trade up or rumours of a Fields slide started I would loved this pick. Jones was my preference above the day 2 guys or even Lance who for me is still a massive gamble.

Seeing Fields slide last night and hearing all the hype (smoke) of Fields to NE made me believe. So in real time I was actually disappointed from 11-14 and when we picked Mac I was happy but not ecstatic.

Now that i've had time to reflect this is a really good pick by NE and I can't wait to see him on the field. Welcome Mac Jones.

It was as much of a breakthrough as an offseason workout can be. Still, Jones' transformation into the diabolical Joker, replete with 41 touchdown passes, an NCAA-record 77.4 percent completion rate, and the highest college QBR (96.1) in the 17-year history of the measurement, was forged in a near-maniacal work ethic that bubbled beneath the surface of his more emotional, fun-loving exterior.

It was no joke when Edwards found Jones, just a day after Alabama's national championship win over Georgia his freshman year, breaking down film of the game early in the morning even though both Hurts and Tagovailoa would be returning the next year.
It was no joke when he'd call Hereford to catch balls in the indoor facility late at night, with nobody else around, to work on his game. He could pick the oddest times to log practice time on his own – once, even, right after the team's annual banquet.
Yes, Jones could have fun, but he was at Alabama to win the quarterback job, not spend a career commanding the scout team.

From a preparation standpoint, he took after Tom Brady in all sorts of ways. He's studied Brady's technique right down to the action of his non-throwing hand. Alabama trainer Bobby Feeback always taped Jones' ankles Brady-style – Jones called it "the Brady spat" -- over the top of the cleats. When he threw on his own, he'd often do it in a helmet and shoulder pads, as Brady prefers. UA helmets are only issued for practices and games, but Jones had a workaround – he'd use his high school helmet from Bolles. He even gave some consideration to donning a helmet and shoulder pads for his pro day workouts.
Jones also lifted some preparation tips from the Brady documentary "Tom vs. Time." He sees his own experience at Alabama not unlike Brady's at Michigan – an underappreciated backup behind a more heralded starter.

"At Michigan, they said he wasn't going to play because of Drew Henson. They said he wasn't going to play in the NFL. I like his story more than his play," Jones said. "Obviously his play is great and I model some of my game after him, with his footwork and how he prepares, but he had a chip on his shoulder, the same one I have."
For Saban, Jones' decision to stay at Alabama rather than transferring set up the growth and maturity needed for his breakout season in 2020. Now, with NFL clubs lining up at the top of the draft to select a quarterback, Jones could hear his name called awfully early on April 29.
"(NFL teams) are going to fall in love with a guy who is really a hard worker, a good leader, and the guy is very committed to being the best player he can be," Saban told NFL Network following Jones' first pro day workout. "He's smart, he's going to know the offense inside and out, he makes quick decisions, has great judgment, and he's very accurate with the ball. I think the combination of those things is going to make him a fine player at the next level.
I enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting. @Joker will be impressed.

This is not an easy night for Stidham. He did nice job of organizing that mini-camp. So my thoughts go to the kid.

It will be interesting though how the addition of Mac and sharing the field in preseason will affect Cam - watching his quick releases, no hesitation, anticipation. Could be a good influence to keep up :)
I don’t see Cam being the backup to Jones if Jones should beat Newton out for the job. So, there might still be a role for Stidham as backup. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

On a personal note, I’m glad I don’t have to type Garappolo now as much as I feared. It’s never been easy for me to spell and it never auto fills on my phone.

I never believed this would be the outcome, even when Jones was there, I thought the Patriots would trade down - They didn't waste anytime, the pick was in quick...WOW!!! Exciting stuff - now we get to see how it plays out.

What I really like about this pick is that the Pats did not have to expend any "draft capital" to get him... and they did not have to get involved with the Jimmy G sweepstakes or consolation prize.

Looking forward to the "dink and dunk" offense that Brady matured in when he assumed the starting role..keep moving those chains.

Then there are the numbers that took place in the SEC..
41 TD's 4 Int's
77% completion rate

Only negatives are the kid doesn't have a lot of ****pit time in cold weather games and has a physique like me.

I feel he should follow Rocky Balboa's training vs Drago which includes throwing 200 footballs a day and scrimmages in 20deg weather.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back