PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 8 pregame discussion: Pats @ Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar to 2018, the pats offense is a bad matchup for the Chargers. Their DL & LB are too undersized to hold up vs. the pats run game. They play cover 3 with the goal in mind of preventing big plays. It’s part of why they play the Chiefs tough.

They are 25th in the NFL in comp pct. against, 10th in ypa & 13th in passer rating. A quick passing offense can go down the field vs. them IMO.

Keep Bosa off Mac & the pats offense should have another good showing. I like the team's chances at pulling off an upset in this one more than they had against the Bucs & Cowboys.

Last edited:
We are a game and a half behind with 2 meetings left.
You just love giving up don’t you.
Let’s see them beat even one good team first before starting to think division title.

Let’s see them beat even one good team first before starting to think division title.
They are competing for a division title unless you credit them for losses in games that haven’t been played.
As I said you seem to enjoy giving up.

Good morning everyone....get you ready for a Tuesday:

Worried about the defense after getting lit up by the Cowboys a few weeks ago. Losing JJ doesn't help.

Also, the Pats are 0 in turnover differential. We are among the top teams in the NFL at taking away the ball, but we also are giving it away at the same rate.

They are competing for a division title unless you credit them for losses in games that haven’t been played.
As I said you seem to enjoy giving up.
The Pats are not a better football team than the Buffalo Bills right now in any aspect of the game except probably coaching and even that has been questionable this year. They've beaten zero good teams. Why should I think they're going to win the division?

Last edited:
Worried about the defense after getting lit up by the Cowboys a few weeks ago. Losing JJ doesn't help.

Also, the Pats are 0 in turnover differential. We are among the top teams in the NFL at taking away the ball, but we also are giving it away at the same rate.

Yesterday you said something like "we are going to win 9 more games call me a homer". Today you are worried?

Rookie QB on the road? Our LB's and DB's have not played consitently this year and it would not surprise me to see Herbert light up our secondary the way everyone has, except for Zach Wilson. Hopefully our ground game can keep the ball out of Herberts hands. I want to see both Stevensen and JJ activated for this game. Pounding the rock is how the Pats can win this game.

Rookie QB on the road? Our LB's and DB's have not played consitently this year and it would not surprise me to see Herbert light up our secondary the way everyone has, except for Zach Wilson. Hopefully our ground game can keep the ball out of Herberts hands. I want to see both Stevensen and JJ activated for this game. Pounding the rock is how the Pats can win this game.
Tua, Winston and Brady did not light up our secondary.

Prescott and Mills did and we won one and almost won the other.

Cheer up! We do not suck as bad you think we do.

They've beaten zero good teams. Why should I think they're going to win the division?
We've been in every game this year...should have beaten the Cowboys, Dolphins and Bucs......we're a young team, I know "we should have" doesn't mean much to fans, but it does give me confidence that we are going to be in games and I'm hoping we learn from those mistakes....remember, our season started last week.....are you ready SB?

We've been in every game this year...should have beaten the Cowboys, Dolphins and Bucs......we're a young team, I know "we should have" doesn't mean much to fans, but it does give me confidence that we are going to be in games and I'm hoping we learn from those mistakes....remember, our season started last week.....are you ready SB?
At least we're playing Buffalo twice in December. 2 games against them in 3 weeks (not counting the bye in between). And that's when BB teams usually start to peak. To me that's much better than playing them in September when we're still figuring things out.

The "should haves" though... eh. There's lots of ways to look at that. We were close... and we also couldn't finish. Middling teams usually can't.

Yesterday you said something like "we are going to win 9 more games call me a homer". Today you are worried?

Do you even think before you write? Yes, I am worried that the Pats D minus JJ is going to give up a lot of points/yards to one of the best young QBs in the league. That doesn’t mean I don’t think we can score points on them. Moreover, it doesn’t mean that we won’t win 9 or more games even if we lose this one. For the record, I think we’ll win this game but it‘ll be a shootout.

Do you even think before you write? Yes, I am worried that the Pats D minus JJ is going to give up a lot of points/yards to one of the best young QBs in the league. That doesn’t mean I don’t think we can score points on them. Moreover, it doesn’t mean that we won’t win 9 or more games even if we lose this one.
Aren't you a 'lawyer'? Lets make a bet on that 9 wins, you name the price. You belong in the Jets or Chiefs forum they all talk like you over there.

Tua, Winston and Brady did not light up our secondary.

Prescott and Mills did and we won one and almost won the other.

Cheer up! We do not suck as bad you think we do.
I in no way think they suck but I do have legit concerns about the secondary. I like this team and am enjoying the rebuild.

McCourty's health is the shoe I'm waiting to drop before I decide how confident I am in this game. They're going to need to (and likely will) devote significant defensive assets to stopping Ekeler, which means you need good safety play to keep Allen/Williams to a reasonable output. I like what Dugger and Phillips have done in their roles, but McCourty is the guy you want over the top preventing the big plays. If he's good to go, I'll feel decent about our defense going into this one.

Offensively, this is a really bad run defense. Like REALLY bad. People have complained about our run D this year (which IMO is misguided), but the Pats are giving up 3.8 YPC, while the Chargers are giving up 5.4. Some of that is because they're built to counter a team like the Chiefs using a two-high safety look and concedes some yardage on the ground, but there should be opportunities there for us to make hay in the run game. Keep the 3rd downs short, keep Bosa from being able to tee off, and the offense should be able to move the ball.

Big X factor is travel. Longest trip of the year, and first time Mac will experience a west coast game. Early week prognostication: This is gonna be a dog fight.

Aren't you a 'lawyer'? Lets make a bet on that 9 wins, you name the price. You belong in the Jets or Chiefs forum they all talk like you over there.

So you are one of the ones who think that the Pats will win 2-3 more games. Got it.

At least we're playing Buffalo twice in December. 2 games against them in 3 weeks (not counting the bye in between). And that's when BB teams usually start to peak. To me that's much better than playing them in September when we're still figuring things out.

The "should haves" though... eh. There's lots of ways to look at that. We were close... and we also couldn't finish. Middling teams usually can't.

If we can beat Buffalo even once in December, there’s a possibility of a division title. I know it’s very unlikely, but those games against Buffalo are huge. Got to hope the Jills lose to us and Tampa for us to have a shot.

If we can beat Buffalo even once in December, there’s a possibility of a division title. I know it’s very unlikely, but those games against Buffalo are huge. Got to hope the Jills lose to us and Tampa for us to have a shot.
Gotta love what the schedule makers did to us this year. Late bye. 3 games vs teams coming off their bye including the Chargers this Sunday. And the Bills get 11 days rest before one of their games with us. Almost like a 4th game vs a team coming off a bye. LOL.

I don't remember that happening before with our schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back