PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Pregame Thread Week 5 pregame discussion: Saints @ Pats

Pregame Discussion ahead of the LIVE game day discussion thread. The actual Game Thread will Open an hour ahead of kickoff.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think it’s 100% the oline fault. I think teams are not afraid of Mac and are stacking the box and force Mac to beat them throwing the ball to the outside.

Against Dallas, Mac was pressure a lot but had a lot of time to throw. Dallas made a good job to force Mac to hold the ball to long and it allowed the pressure to get there. He wasn’t pressured as quickly as the other game. Which is weird because he completely melted down and was leaving perfectly fine pocket.

The opposite is happening. Team aren't afraid of the Patriots running game. They also aren't afraid of the deep pass because the Pats don't have anyone who can get deep fast and Jones isn't a great deep ball passer. They also aren't afraid to leave Patriots receivers one on one all the time. So defenses are just playing man with a single high coverage all game and loading up to make Jones through the ball quickly. The Cowboys did it slightly different, but no one thinks the Pats can run the ball and know since they consistently dig themselves into a hole early that they are going to have to throw.

Recipe to beat Corky the words out. He can't place the football where only his guy can catch somebody needs glasses.
Substitute float for place

Or....back foot soft toss

Excited Pizza GIF

The opposite is happening. Team aren't afraid of the Patriots running game. They also aren't afraid of the deep pass because the Pats don't have anyone who can get deep fast and Jones isn't a great deep ball passer. They also aren't afraid to leave Patriots receivers one on one all the time. So defenses are just playing man with a single high coverage all game and loading up to make Jones through the ball quickly. The Cowboys did it slightly different, but no one thinks the Pats can run the ball and know since they consistently dig themselves into a hole early that they are going to have to throw.
Nice assement Rob saw in the X's and O's thread of WRs running open on Routes that Mac did not see. It's been said at 6'3 Mac doesn't see the field well and he wasn't always running for his life.

Nice assement Rob saw in the X's and O's thread of WRs running open on Routes that Mac did not see. It's been said at 6'3 Mac doesn't see the field well and he wasn't always running for his life.

Evan Lazar said the opposite in his analysis saying the receivers are consistently covered. Bedard said the same about the Cowboys game (but said there wasn't a single person on offense who played well). Without seeing the All 22s and seeing when receivers are open or not open, sometimes people can look open by aren't because they were open after the release. And visa versa, someone who looks covered could have been open if the ball was release a half a second quicker.

I know last year, some people on this board made some of those mistakes looking at film.

And also, we have to look at the pressure. Sometimes there isn't time for a QB to scan the field if the pocket collapses quickly or a defender is right on top of him.

You may be right, but I think people on both sides of the argument see the film the way they want to see it sometimes. And I don't exclude myself from that.

Evan Lazar said the opposite in his analysis saying the receivers are consistently covered. Bedard said the same about the Cowboys game (but said there wasn't a single person on offense who played well). Without seeing the All 22s and seeing when receivers are open or not open, sometimes people can look open by aren't because they were open after the release. And visa versa, someone who looks covered could have been open if the ball was release a half a second quicker.

I know last year, some people on this board made some of those mistakes looking at film.

And also, we have to look at the pressure. Sometimes there isn't time for a QB to scan the field if the pocket collapses quickly or a defender is right on top of him.

You may be right, but I think people on both sides of the argument see the film the way they want to see it sometimes. And I don't exclude myself from that.
What surprises me is like other Teams the Patriots run a lot of bunch formations with their WRs which should spring someone LOOSE. How we are not connecting is beyond me other Teams seem to run it well. Our Third and less than Five Offense is Terrible the Stats don't lie I blame BOB.

What surprises me is like other Teams the Patriots run a lot of bunch formations with their WRs which should spring someone LOOSE. How we are not connecting is beyond me other Teams seem to run it well. Our Third and less than Five Offense is Terrible the Stats don't lie I blame BOB.

I kinda question Troy Brown as a position coach. Running rub routes have been an issue with this team for years now under three OCs. Part of the reason I wasn't upset when they didn't re-sign Meyers at the time was because he couldn't run a rub route to save his life. He always let the defender redirect him. That is an issue when you run a bunch formation, you need to create the natural pick to get someone open.

Also, they really don't have anyone who can do crossing patterns which used to be the Patriots bread and butter with Edelman and Welker and Amendola other than maybe Douglas, and they barely use Douglas.

Now they tackle like it is two hand touch and seem to go through the motions at times.
They’ve been like this for quite some time and the defense tackles players gracefully. They haven’t had a big hitter since Brandon Spikes, but their defense was terrible then. They have too many guys on defense that rely on scheme and not raw talent. Everything has to go by the script or it doesn’t work. Too many times I’m seeing guys getting isolated and it comes down to them making a shoe lace tackle. I haven’t seen a statement hit in a long time.

I kinda question Troy Brown as a position coach. Running rub routes have been an issue with this team for years now under three OCs. Part of the reason I wasn't upset when they didn't re-sign Meyers at the time was because he couldn't run a rub route to save his life. He always let the defender redirect him. That is an issue when you run a bunch formation, you need to create the natural pick to get someone open.

Also, they really don't have anyone who can do crossing patterns which used to be the Patriots bread and butter with Edelman and Welker and Amendola other than maybe Douglas, and they barely use Douglas.
Gotta admit I was wrong about Meyers really miss his consistency and effort. Him and this Juju is like night and day. We probably win one of those games with Meyers.

Let's hope they don't run Soft tissue Boney T across the middle wouldn't put it past them. The square peg in round hole approach. :rolleyes:

I think that is the thing people missing. This team has no identity and real leadership. You got Slater, but he not a tough guy leader. I remember back in the day the Patriots had a ****iness, smack you in the month attitude. Now they tackle like it is two hand touch and seem to go through the motions at times.

They desperately need a Bryan Cox hit on Jerome Pathon type of moment that sparks this team into something with an attitude.

A change in attitude and getting an identity certainly won't fix all that is wrong with this team, but it is a step in the right direction.
Peppers might be that guy

Some positive news to report.....

After the Giants anemic offensive display last night, the New England Patriots offense, led by first round talent Mac Jones, have leapt up the "points scored for your own team" rankings and are now 30th.

Well done men!
To The Moon Meme GIF by Shibetoshi Nakamoto

Some positive news to report.....

After the Giants anemic offensive display last night, the New England Patriots offense, led by first round talent Mac Jones, have leapt up the "points scored for your own team" rankings and are now 30th.

Well done men!
To The Moon Meme GIF by Shibetoshi Nakamoto
To The Moon Astronaut GIF by MOODMAN

@mike_usagisan BOB takes blame for Offensive woes...way to man up silent partner. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe