PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Week 14 Other games (Pats on a bye)

Yes it is unusual, on top of that the patriots had to play two other teams coming off of bye weeks, i don't remember who they were. I read that the pats play a third place schedual because thats where they finished last year. They're suppose to catch a break by playing a third place schedual in that they shouldn't have played away games against teams that were coming off they're bye weeks, which i thought happened.
They played the Jete and Bolts back to back after they came off of their bye weeks in weeks 7 and 8. This week both the Pats and Indy will be coming off of byes.

The 3rd place schedule only matters for one game. I think that game was the Browns.

Fair play to you then. I wasn't advocating that they were right, just that it's not hard to see where the sentiment was coming from. But credit to you for knowing ahead of time.
Sorry if I came across as pushy. It wasn't meant that way. That's one of my problems in cyberspace. Btw, do people still use that term?

Sorry if I came across as pushy. It wasn't meant that way. That's one of my problems in cyberspace. Btw, do people still use that term?

Nope, sorry if I in turn came across that way back to you. It's tricky in writing, two things really don't translate: Confidence can easily be read as arrogance when it wasn't meant that way, and sarcasm might as well be another language.

Haven't watched the Jaguars either, but read a few weeks ago in a CBS article that Lawrence is struggling with the mental parts of the NFL game. Like going through his progressions, identifying coverages and reading defenses, as well as identifying and adjusting to the blitz.
Sounds like Cam.

Lamar is done. The pats #1 seed status the rest of the way is almost assured.
I wish that were true but it isn't. Here's the list of remaining games for the teams that are tied at 9-4 and their opponents power rankings going into last week;
Pats - @Indy(12), Buf(8), NJ(29), @Mia(19)
Tenn - @Pit(14), SF(16), @Mia(19), Hou(31)
KC - @LC(11), Pit(14), @Cincy(13), @Den(21)

And the 8-5 teams;
Bal - GB(2), @Cincy(13), LR(7), Pitt(14)
LC - KC(5), @Hou(31), Den(21), @LV(18)

With the exception of the Ratbirds, who'll probably lose at least 2 or 3 more games, anything can happen. Luckily the Pats have the head to head vs Tenn and LC but they still have losable games.

My dream scenario, as it has been since 2014, would be to have the Indiots and Ratbirds miss the playoffs. It's very possible.

Nope, sorry if I in turn came across that way back to you. It's tricky in writing, two things really don't translate: Confidence can easily be read as arrogance when it wasn't meant that way, and sarcasm might as well be another language.
It's funny because my son and I were just talking about that on Friday. He's not a big fan of sites like this because of the reasons you stated. I defend Patsfans as better than other sites, which it is.

How fast do you need to process things when all your receivers are covered. “Nope! He’s not open. Neither is he. Not him either.”
That depends on who's doing the processing.
Tom Brady takes about 2 seconds.
Cam takes years and still doesn't see it.

Holy crap. The Lions might be upset today. A 10 win 1 loss and 1 tie team losing to the lowly Broncos would be surprise. Wait, did I read that record right?
Detroit is the most overrated crap team in NYFL history. Some of the rankings that I saw had them ahead of 3 other teams with better records, mainly because they beat Minny with a few key players missing. I wonder if that's because the NYFL needs to prop up the crap division that Saint Aaron plays in.

Did you guys catch that during the TB game just now? Nantz and Romo just discussed a potential 3 way tie between ARI, TB and GB and Nantz confirmed conference record would determine the #1 seed.
People actually listen to Jim Nance, the original Tuckhead?

He’s only lost to them in a game that mattered, what? Two or three times in 20 years?
And one of those losses is on the coach.

Last edited:

View attachment 38773

Yeah, it's awkward because they didn't specifically denote this on the site, but the first set of instructions for "Three or more clubs" refers to breaking ties within the division. Further down there's another "Three or more clubs" for teams in different divisions, whether that's for home field or for wild card spots. EDIT: This is why the one you quoted doesn't mention the caveat of "Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.", because for division tie breakers you already know they've all played each other:

Three or More Clubs​

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
  1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

Yeah, it's awkward because they didn't specifically denote this on the site, but the first set of instructions for "Three or more clubs" refers to breaking ties within the division. Further down there's another "Three or more clubs" for teams in different divisions, whether that's for home field or for wild card spots. EDIT: This is why the one you quoted doesn't mention the caveat of "Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.", because for division tie breakers you already know they've all played each other:

Three or More Clubs​

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
  1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss
If you look at the “two clubs” rules they are wrong. I proved it in this thread yesterday.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back