Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Too Soon? Perhaps allow ourselves to bask in the warm glow of this rainy victory for a bit more, while enjoying the schadenfreude of John Harbaugh on the losing end of critical trick plays?

In a bit of a surprise (at least to me), the Texans are listed as 1½ or 2½ point favorites, depending on where you shop. Granted the game is in Houston, but I was expecting to see the Pats as slight favorites, considering the Texans are 2-7.

Ian's new NFL News section has plenty of links to Houston Texans news: Texans News | Houston Texans news from the local media.

On offense Houston ranks 6th in yards per play (6.0), but only 25th in points per game (22.2) and 20th in yards per game. They don't turn the ball over often, but the red zone offense is below average. Houston's pass-run ratio leans heavier to the pass side than most NFL teams, but that is likely due to being behind so often.

Defensively the Texans rank dead last with just five takeaways this season, with an league worst two interceptions. Houston is in the bottom quartile in nearly every defensive metric: 28.0 ppg (25th), 409 ypg (28th), 6.1 yards per play (27th) and 48% third down conversion (27th). Their run defense is bad, which plays right into a strength for the Patriots. Houston is allowing 5.2 yards per carry and 167 yards rushing per game, both worst in the NFL. Their pass defense isn't much better. Opponents are completing 69% of their pass attempts (28th) for 7.3 yards per pass (26th), to go along with their league-low two picks.

If we can get some pressure on DW i have no fear of loosing this game

They have had 3 games where they've allowed 230+ rushing yards this season. They just yesterday allowed 2 RBs to go for 100+ yards each.\

Game plan needs to be RUN IT DOWN THEIR F**KING THROAT.

Last edited:
I don't care about blowouts. Just win the game and get to 5-5.

Above all take care of the ball.

Stay with your strength which is running the ball and take advantage when they inevitably get too greedy against the run with play action, screens and whatnot. On defense hopefully we get Gilmore back to make them more one dimensional and keep showing an improving trendline against the run.

Bonus points for Asiasi (EDIT: didnt realize he went on IR after the Buffalo game) and/or Edelman making an appearance.

Last edited:

Stay with your strength which is running the ball and take advantage when they inevitably get too greedy against the run with play action, screens and whatnot. On defense hopefully we get Gilmore back to make them more one dimensional and keep showing an improving trendline against the run.

Bonus points for Asiasi and/or Edelman making an appearance.
I'd prefer Edelman take another week or having a very light workload. He still has some left in the tank. Not a lot but enough to be effective.

Bonus points for Asiasi and/or Edelman making an appearance.
I thought Asiasi isn't eligible to return until week 12?

This game is a MUST WIN for us. Currently, I am seeing it as:

We must win @HOU and @LAC.
Split the ARI and @LAR games.

That puts us at 7-6 with 3 conference losses going into the final 3:

@Mia - 10 days rest
BUF - Home game
NYJ - Home game

We will know by December 10th whether our season is alive or dead....25 days from now.

If we go 3-1....we will probably set up a HUUUUGGGGEEE AFC East game @Mia vs. Tua Tagovailoa!!!! And Miami plays Buffalo in week 17!

=============

For week 11:

ARI @SEA - Root for the Cardinals so that they come to Foxborough riding high!
NEP @ HOU - A MUST WIN.
PHI @ CLE - A win by the hapless Eagles helps us get the Browns to 6-4.
TEN @ BAL - Doesn't matter who wins..one of them will be 6-4!
MIA @ DEN - Let's hope Denver pulls it out using some of that Mile High thin air magic!
GBP @ IND - Root for the Packers to get the Colts to 6-4.
KCC @ LVR - Root for the Chiefs to get the Raiders to 6-4.

run playaction off Harris pounding the rock with some Newton runs thrown in. It shouldn't be a monsoon down there in Houston, so weather shouldn't impact the passing game.

Biggest concern in HOU is if Watson gets a'runnin'. Our edge rushers are not good in contain... even Collinsworth noted that if Lamar had decided to run on a handful of plays they would have probably beat us. And that was in the downpour, in good weather we've got to contain Watson, and limit the deep strikes. Then on O, keep the running game pounding, and start using Izzo 5-7 times on pass plays, and get back to the 3 WR targets with Byrd. They can find a good balance if they want to.

This team should not be favored from here on out. This defense is bad. Secondary good. Overall defense is poor. Once of the worst linebacking corps in the league.

This game is a MUST WIN for us. Currently, I am seeing it as:

We must win @HOU and @LAC.
Split the ARI and @LAR games.

That puts us at 7-6 with 3 conference losses going into the final 3:

@Mia - 10 days rest
BUF - Home game
NYJ - Home game

We will know by December 10th whether our season is alive or dead....25 days from now.

If we go 3-1....we will probably set up a HUUUUGGGGEEE AFC East game @Mia vs. Tua Tagovailoa!!!! And Miami plays Buffalo in week 17!

=============

For week 11:

ARI @SEA - Root for the Cardinals so that they come to Foxborough riding high!
NEP @ HOU - A MUST WIN.
PHI @ CLE - A win by the hapless Eagles helps us get the Browns to 6-4.
TEN @ BAL - Doesn't matter who wins..one of them will be 6-4!
MIA @ DEN - Let's hope Denver pulls it out using some of that Mile High thin air magic!
GBP @ IND - Root for the Packers to get the Colts to 6-4.
KCC @ LVR - Root for the Chiefs to get the Raiders to 6-4.
I'd feel better if he had any kind of down field passing game. Our D is fine especially when we get Gilmore back. Our OLine and run game are really good...its just that lack of passing attack that is going to hold us back IMO.

Obviously im happy with a win and healthy coming out of it.

If there’s anything else id prefer to see in addition, i want to see our defense actually control a game and get off the field consistently. Don’t think weve seen that since kc. Watson is a tough matchup but his cast isn’t scary at all.

run playaction off Harris pounding the rock with some Newton runs thrown in. It shouldn't be a monsoon down there in Houston, so weather shouldn't impact the passing game.

Agreed and eventually Newton will have to start throwing to both the short and intermediate parts of the field with some regularity to keep the defenses honest. I think we will take the odd shot deep down field, but only to make opponents keep 1 high safety. I highly doubt we will see a Tampa 2 the rest of the way, but that is OK because we can run against 8 in the box, but 9 in the box gets tough ;)

I'd feel better if he had any kind of down field passing game. Our D is fine especially when we get Gilmore back. Our OLine and run game are really good...its just that lack of passing attack that is going to hold us back IMO.
Jules sounds like he will suit up for the Cardinals game. Having him back and getting Harry going can only open up deep passes to Byrd. Teams will have to put 7-8 in the box against our rushing offense if we keep it up...then play action some of that **** for big plays, baby!

Agreed and eventually Newton will have to start throwing to both the short and intermediate parts of the field with some regularity to keep the defenses honest. I think we will take the odd shot deep down field, but only to make opponents keep 1 high safety. I highly doubt we will see a Tampa 2 the rest of the way, but that is OK because we can run against 8 in the box, but 9 in the box gets tough ;)
To me, if teams are playing 1 high (or 0 high) all game, it’s worth it to take a couple deep shots. We have a burner in byrd and Harry has won a few fades in his time here. I know we’re not exactly throwing deep to Moss, but those are guys that can win a play. Not like it’s just Jules and meyers out there.

Is it just me, or has their tinkering with Cam's throwing motion created some really odd-looking passes. It's like he's thinking too much about correcting his motion, and now he looks like a combo of Rivers and Tebow. Some easy passes just become awkward looking duds - like the one to Meyers in the EZ. He needs to just let loose and let it rip. We need to hit some of these deep options. I mean, it was incredible in SEA. Being found to have a coronavirus-type TOXIN in your body wouldn't suddenly set him back in being able to throw deep. (that's all that "testing positive" means... none of them are sick obviously)

Newton vs Watson. Hou is done. Need to get an early lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing